Multiclass Sneak Attack and Keyword / Light Blade Question

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here's what I need help understanding:

I've got a vampire multiclassing rogue.  The multiclass rogue says "Once per encounter when you hit an enemy granting combat advantage with a light blade you can add (xd6) sneak attack damage to the attack."

With a vampire though, the powers have keyword : implement, shadow.  And the attacks are made with a ki-focus implement.  Does that mean that I cannot use the sneak attack feature with vampire powers?  Or is it legal to do as long as my vampire has a light blade equipped?

Kinda looking for a saving grace for a vampire XD
It means you will only be able to use Sneak Attack if you use a Weapon or Implement Power with a Light Blade. Also, you will need proficiency with a  Light Blade as an Implement.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

You must use a light blade to make the attack in order to get Sneak Attack damage. If you're attacking with your ki focus you won't get SA damage.
(It's important to remember that a ki focus can either be used by itself to make Implement attacks or can be used on a weapon to make Weapon attacks with that weapon. So you can't ki-focus a weapon and then make an Implement attack with it.)
 Unless you somehow gain the ability to use a light blade as an implement, and use a light blade to attack rather than your ki focus, you're never going to be able to apply your SA damage any of your implement powers.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Okay, then my followup then is what feat can grant me light blade as an implement?

I'm not seeing one in the compendium.  Looks like I might be s.o.l. on this path.

Arcane Implement Proficiency... (If you weren't multiclassing rogue already, either the swordmage or sorceror mc feats would do it as well.)

To be honest, though, I don't really think it's worth spending a feat to get sneak attack damage on an implement power once per encounter...
 You'd be better off just making a melee basic attack with a light blade - remember, you can get your sneak attack damage on an attack outside your turn as well so you may want to save it for when you make an opportunity attack or someone grants you a free basic melee attack.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Bah...

Well, my idea was to multi-class rogue as a vampire, trade domineering gaze for the rogue daily "Knockout", then followup with a vampire "Feral Assault" maxing out the damage with 2d12 and 5d8 (healing surge expenditure on the power and paragon tier sneak attack d8's). and laugh all the way to the damage bank. 

Unfortunately I noticed that snag with sneak attack and light blade and Feral Assault is "Implement, Shadow", not weapon. 

I wanted to check here in case I was overlooking something, but this confirms my fear.

Vampires kinda blow... Foot in Mouth
The CharOp handbook for Vampires is titled "I just don't want to suck." That pretty much sums them up, even with optimization they are pretty bad. Caveat: they do all right in Heroic.