Ashen Ghoul text fail

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ashen Ghoul has a fail on text or what?

I mean, the one from "coldsnap theme decks" says:

{B}: Return Ashen Ghoul from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only during your upkeep and only if three or more creature cards are above Ashen Ghoul.

And the one from "Ice age" says:

{B}: Return Ashen Ghoul into play under your control. Use this ability at the end of your upkeep and only if Ashen Ghoul is in your graveyard with at least three creature cards above it.

You can see the cards printed in two editions:

Coldsnap Theme decks
magiccards.info/cstd/en/20.html
Ice Age
magiccards.info/ia/en/2.html

What does it mean? When can his ability be played?

Untap step
Upkeep
Draw step
Main1
Declare attackers
Declare blockers
Combat damage step
Main2
Cleanup step
End

???
What's in the Oracle is all that matters, and the Oracle shows [C]Ashen Ghoul[/C] having the following two abilities:

Haste

: Return Ashen Ghoul from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only during your upkeep and only if three or more creature cards are above Ashen Ghoul.

In this case, the text of the card was changed for clarity, that's all. That you can't tell the printed text on both is effectively the same goes to show how unclear it was before the change. One of the changes to wording that affected a huge number of cards (including Ashen Ghoul) is the switch from "put into play" to "put on the battlefield".

What's in the Oracle is all that matters, and the Oracle shows [C]Ashen Ghoul[/C] having the following two abilities:

Haste

: Return Ashen Ghoul from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only during your upkeep and only if three or more creature cards are above Ashen Ghoul.

In this case, the text of the card was changed for clarity, that's all. That you can't tell the printed text on both is effectively the same goes to show how unclear it was before the change. One of the changes to wording that affected a huge number of cards (including Ashen Ghoul) is the switch from "put into play" to "put on the battlefield".

I was not meaning this text change, I was meaning the change from "at the end of your upkeep" to "during your upkeep", that is what I was not understanding.
I was not meaning this text change, I was meaning the change from "at the end of your upkeep" to "during your upkeep", that is what I was not understanding.

The Oracle text is the only one that matters. It's the Errated and Updated version of any card. All cards works using the text found in the Oracle, above any particular oudated printing.

If you want to know the why, the rules changed. Simple as that. You don't do things 'at the end' of a step or phase, it's not how the rules work currently. Doing it during the step itself is the closest thing under current rules, so it's how Ashen Ghoul works now.

[<o>]

The Oracle text is the only one that matters. It's the Errated and Updated version of any card. All cards works using the text found in the Oracle, above any particular oudated printing.

If you want to know the why, the rules changed. Simple as that. You don't do things 'at the end' of a step or phase, it's not how the rules work currently. Doing it during the step itself is the closest thing under current rules, so it's how Ashen Ghoul works now.

So at the moment I can only play Ashen Ghoul before drawing

You can only activate the ability before that draw, and this is not a change.
No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
So at the moment I can only play return Ashen Ghoul to the battlefield before drawing

and this was always true since the Alpha Rules

Original Rulebook Pg 11
Game Turn
Both your turn and your rival's turn follow the same pattern. A game turn consists of the following phases:
Untap. Untap all your previously tapped lands, creatures, and artifacts.
Upkeep. Deal with any enchantment, creature, or artifact that requires upkeep or has an effect at the start of a turn. The card will tell you if a given item requires upkeep.
Draw. Draw one card from your library.
Main. You may do several things during the main phase. In no particular order: (a) You may put any one land from your hand into play. Mana from this land may be used during the current turn. (b) You may make one attack against your rival with any or all of your creatures in play except those that came into play this turn. Newly summoned creatures cannot be used until the next turn. (c) You may cast any spells in your hand, provided you have enough mana. You can cast spells before and after taking other actions.
Discard. If you have more than seven cards in your hand, discard until you again have only seven.
End. Let your rival know you are finished. Unless an action described above includes the word may, you must perform this action.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

And you were never able to do at any other time. All that changed is the way the card text tells you that. Ashen Ghoul has no functional errata, just updated wording to keep the same functionality under current turn structure.

As 2Goth's quote says, drawing the turn's card was always after upkeep, so doing something 'at the end' of the upkeep or 'during' the upkeep always was and still is before the draw.

[<o>]
At the end of your turn is commonly used in casual phrasing, but there is a phase called the end of turn phase. So, this makes sense in the context of "at end of turn."

However, "at the end of your upkeep" doesn't really mean anything rules-wise. Once both players pass priority with the stack clear, the step will end. There's no "end of upkeep" opportunity for the old text to have referenced -- there's during your upkeep and "oops, upkeep is over now."

I guess the original intent of the card was to clarify that you had to wait until anything that triggered at the beginning of your upkeep to actually trigger before you could activate the ability.