Contest - From the (Mythic Rare) Flames

136 posts / 0 new
Last post
There are only 11 phoenix creatures in print.
And all 11 of them are rare!

We need a mythic rare phoenix.

Criteria = Make a mythic rare phoenix.

And remember that a red creature can be mythic rare without being monstrous and epic (see Warren Instigator and Kargan Dragonlord (but please don't see Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded.. for anything.. ever)).

I'm super psyched to see some mythic rare pheonixes.

Contest will run... for an indeterminate period of time.  I'll give some degree of advance warning before closing it.

Warpflame Phoenix 
Creature - Phoenix
Flying, first strike, haste.
If Warpflame Phoenix would be put into the graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead with one time counter on it.  Wapflame Phoenix gains suspend (At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from this card. When the last is removed, cast it without paying its mana cost. If it's a creature, it has haste.)
"Meteors are slower." - Fabrasian saying.
3/3

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Soulfire Predator
Creature - Phoenix
(Sacrifice a red creature to pay .)
Flying
You may cast ~ from your graveyard.
The flames of rage are never quenched.
4/3

I'm not feeling well.
Also, pretend the skulls are red. And not skulls.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Vaporflame Phoenix|:R::R::R:|Mythic Rare
Creature - Phoenix
Flying, Haste

If Vaporflame Phoenix would be put into your graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead.

:R::R:: Return Vaporflame Phoenix to the Battlefield under your control. Use this ability only if you cast an instant or sorcery spell this turn, and only as long as Vaporflame Phoenix is exiled.

4/1

I've always thought that Mythic Rare cards should be more about uniqueness than straight up power :cough:Geistofsttraft:cough:. 
This guy does what a Phoenix is supposed to do. NEVER DIE EVER. By going to exile instead of the yard, he dodges yard hate, but he isn't an infinite threat, thanks to the requirement to return him from exile. He has 1 Toughness because hes made out of vapor! not very stable stuff
Phosphine Phoenix
Creature - Phoenix
Flying, Haste
Discard a Red Burn Spell from your hand: Regenerate ~ (A Burn Spell is any Instant or Sorcery the deals direct damage to players or creatures).

3/2
Original

First Attemt Phoenix

Creature - Phoenix
Flying
Suspend
If ~ would enter the graveyard from play, exile it with 3 Time counters on it instead.

3/3

Placeholder?

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Dawnfire Phoenix 
• 
Creature - Phoenix
Flying, Haste
If Dawnfire Phoenix would enter a graveyard, exile it if there are no red cards in that graveyard.
At the beginning of your turn, you may return Dawnfire Phoenix from your graveyard to the battlefield if it died after the beginning of your last turn.
3/1
First Attemt Phoenix

Mine eats yours for breakfast.  ^_^ 

That said, maybe yours is better balanced.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

First Attemt Phoenix

Mine eats yours for breakfast.  ^_^ 

That said, maybe yours is better balanced.

Aw, crap. I shoulda read yours. Looks like I just copied it I guess. I s'pose I have to make something original now. . .

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Bennu of the Inner Sun
Creature — Phoenix
Flying
If you would lose the game for having 0 or less life, exile each other permanent you control and all cards in your hand or graveyard instead. Then, draw X cards, add X red mana to your mana pool, and your life total becomes X, where X is Bennu of the Inner Sun's power.
5/5
Urn of Phoenix Ash
Artifact

Whenever a creature you control dies, put a charge counter on Urn of Phoenix Ash.
Sacrifice Urn of Phoenix Ash: Put an X/X Phoenix creature token with flying and haste onto the battlefield, where X is the number of charge counters on Urn of Phoenix Ash.
When a Phoenix you control dies, return Urn of Phoenix Ash from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Rules Advisor
Eh, bonus phoenix because I'm bored:

Blazeflock Phoenix|:R:|Mythic Rare
Flying, Haste

When Blazeflock Phoenix dies, it deals 1 damage to target creature or player, then 1 damage to target creature or player for each other card named Blazeflock Phoenix in your graveyard before Blazeflock Phoenix died.

At the beginning of each upkeep, if there are 3 other cards named Blazeflock Phoenix in your graveyard, return all cards named Blazeflock Phoenix from your graveyard to the battlefield under your control.

:R::R:, sacrifice Blazeflock Phoenix: Search your library for a card named Blazeflock Phoenix and put it in your hand. Shuffle your library.

1/1

Like squadron hawk of doom. Seems fair enough on the surface. Can someone tell me if they all die at once, do they deal a total of 4 damage, or 10? I want it to be 4.

*EDIT*
I think I worded the death clause now in such a way that all 4 dying at once WONT do 16 damage O.o 
Can someone tell me if they all die at once, do they deal a total of 4 damage, or 10? I want it to be 4.

If they die all at once, they see eachother all at once.

oh sweet god, so they do 16.
do not want.

can someone help me word it so they only do 1 a peice at that point? 
Eternal Phoenix
Creature -- Pheonix
Flying
If Eternal Pheonix would be be exiled from anywhere, put it into its owner's graveyard instead.
Unearth
3/2

As far as I can tell, the only way to get rid of it is to tuck it.  That said, I'm not sure how this interacts with Leyline of the Void.
I think it makes an infinite loop that you can't end, drawing the game.
I think it makes an infinite loop that you can't end, drawing the game.

No, it definitely doesn't do that.  These are both replacement effects, so there are no actions involved.  I think one just overrides the other.  I'm just not sure how.
Resurgent Phoenix
Flying, haste
At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice Resurgent Phoenix.
At the start of your turn, put Resurgent Phoenix from your graveyard onto the battlefield.
4/2
It's body reborn, but it's mind mad from the endless cycle.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
I have no idea then O.o

Maybe timestamps determine which replacement effect to use? 
I made a phoenix once.

Phoenix Flare
Creature - Elemental Phoenix
Flying
When Phoenix Flare dies, add  to your mana pool.
Discard 3 cards: Return Phoenix Flare from your graveyard to your hand.
4/4
Vesuvius | | Legendary Creature - Phoenix Deity | Mythic Rare | 4/4
Flying, Haste
Whenever Vesuvius deals combat damage, destroy target nonbasic land.
Sacrifice a creature and a Mountain: Return Vesuvius from your graveyard to your hand.
Lord Vesuvius rises and rises from his own destruction.
bitterburn phoenix
creature-phoenix 

if ~ would be put into the graveyard, instead, put a +1/+1 counter on ~ and ~ deals damage equal too its power to target player.
you'll only make it mad.

1/1
Evolving Phoenix  
Creature - Phoenix        Mythic Rare
When Evolving Phoenix dies, you may return up to two Phoenix Cards from your graveyard to the battlefield. If you do, exile Evolving Phoenix.
1/1
We got him, we got him, wait, oh no...
     - Guardians of Burnt Sage Village, when it was still Sage Village 

Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
bitterburn phoenix
creature-phoenix 

if ~ would be put into the graveyard, instead, put a +1/+1 counter on ~ and ~ deals damage equal too its power to target player.
you'll only make it mad.

1/1

I think this should be "Destroyed".  While it works with shrink effects, it goes infinite with sacrifice and the Legend rule.
Everflame Phoenix
Creature - Phoenix (MR)
Flying
Persist, Undying
4/2
It is the passion of dreams fufilled, the ashes of destiny denied.
so, really cool with all the submissions
probably going to last.... 40 more hours

i realize i misspoke in the thread title -- should have been "ashes" (not "fire").... oh well

Long contest

Inferno Phoenix

Creature -- Phoenix

Flying, haste

When ~ attacks, deal three damage to target player and one damage to each creature he or she controls.

At the beginning of your upkeep, if ~ is in your graveyard or your exile zone, return it to the battlefield.

4/4 
Woohoo Phoenixes, my favourite creature type!

Mana-charged Phoenix
Creature - Phoenix
Flying
Chroma - If the total number of red mana symbols of attacking creatures you control is more than 3, you may return ~ from the graveyard to the battlefield tapped and attacking.
4/2

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

Long contest

agreed
in fact, TOO long a contest

new plan:

this was round one
round one is now closed

round two is now open
roud two criteria: a common pheonix ('cause, remember, the 11 in print are all rare)

you don't need to have participated in round one to participate in round two
round one grades will be up in... i dunno... roughly 17 hours
Flamewing Hatchling 
Creature - Phoenix
Flying
:  Flamewing Hatchling gets +1/+0 until end of turn.  Spend no more than in this way each turn.
Even out of the egg they are scorching as the desert heat.
0/2

Cinder Chick
Creature - Phoenix

Flying
Discard Cinder Chick: Add to your mana pool.
1/1
Rules Advisor
Original
Brightwing  
Creature - Phoenix
You may play Brightwing from your graveyard or from exile.
1/1
We just can't seem to get rid of these things.

edit: Somehow I had iot in my brain that Gravecrawler was common, gonna leave the original in a spoiler block, but this is my submission.

Brightwing  
Creature - Phoenix
You may play Brightwing from your graveyard or from exile.
0/2
We just can't seem to get rid of these things. 
Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
Tyro Phoenix
Creature - Phoenix
Whenever you discard a Red Burn Spell ~ gains flying and gets +2/+0 until end of turn. (A Burn Spell is any Instant or Sorcery the deals direct damage to players or creatures).

0/1
Storm Phoenix

Storm Phoenix
Creature - Phoenix
Flying

Storm Phoenix descending, Summer unending.

Storm Phoenix departing, Winter is starting.

1/2

139359831 wrote:
Storm Phoenix descending, Summer unending.

Storm Phoenix departing, Winter is starting.
That, folks, is FLAVOR text. I could see that being celebrated around the realm, like a Groundhog's day for Planeswalkers. 2 thumbs up, and a snap in a circle.

edit: Dang Pablo, that's you again?!? I should really start looking who's posting before I post compliments.  

Autocarding

Long contest

agreed
in fact, TOO long a contest

new plan:

this was round one
round one is now closed

round two is now open
roud two criteria: a common pheonix ('cause, remember, the 11 in print are all rare)

you don't need to have participated in round one to participate in round two
round one grades will be up in... i dunno... roughly 17 hours

You're a very eccentric contest-Holder. I like it.

Phoenix Ashling

Creature -- Phoenix

Flying

You can only cast ~ if another phoenix you control died this turn

2/2

The mighty phoenix fell from the sky in a blaze of sheer glory...only to rise up again from the smoldering ashes it fell in to. 
Will we have time after grades are up to design for round two? Because I'd rather wait for grades.

You're a very eccentric contest-Holder. I like it.

thanks

Will we have time after grades are up to design for round two? Because I'd rather wait for grades.

round one grades will be up before round two closes

Show
made you look

clearly, there will be a round three (uncommon) -- but don't post for it yet

there will also be a FINAL round -- only winners from the previous rounds will be invited to submit designs, but everyone else will be invited to vote for their preferred design
winner of FINAL round will even get a prize
Cinder Hatchling
Creature - Phoenix
Flying, haste
At the beginning of the end step, shuffle ~ into its owner's library.
3/1

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Phoenix Harbinger
Creature - Phoenix
Flying
When Phoenix Harbinger enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a Phoenix card, reveal it, then shuffle your library and put that card in your graveyard.
2/1

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Man, designing a common phoenix is hard. Everything they want to do fixes them at uncommon at the least, so trying to distill the essence of a phoenix into a common without stepping on the toes of other rarities was a nice challenge. Being common, it can really only be a french vanilla, and maybe have one relevant activated ability. I also prefer that all my Phoenixeseses be kinda red-heavy in their cost at lower rarities.

*edit*
Overhauled my design. Stewed on it for a few hours and it doesn't feel phoenix-y. NEEDS to be able to exit the yard somehow, but cost at common needs to be pretty high. Thought about unearth, but that's too much undead for my liking.

Manaplume Hatchling|:R::R:|Creature - Phoenix|Common
Flying
:R:, Discard a red Instant or Sorcery card: Return Manaplume Hatchling from your graveyard to your hand.
2/1

Put the :R: in the ability cost to prevent wierd infinite discard loops. No haste because that would be rediculous.

Round One Grades =

AzureShade = Warpflame Phoenix = basic design is very similar to Chandra's Phoenix; considering that Chandra's Phoenix is rare, adding +1/+1 and first strike and much stronger revival ability.. is too much for the rarity skip -- this needed to cost more to cast -- that aside, I love the revival ability; that's an awesome mechanics thought, and the reference to Shivan Meteor is glorious = 6/10

Mown = Soulfire Predator = that's black; cast only through sacrifice, and cast from graveyard only through sacrifice... that's black -- even if you can only sacrifice a red creature: black! -- something like "discard a red instant/sorcery" would be sooooo much more color-appropriate -- power level, compared to Avatar of Discord.. power level isn't high enough = 1/10

VRdragoon = Vaporflame Phoenix = very much appreciate your forethought; your comment on common design issue was very intelligent, and am looking forward to grading round two -- you could easily clean up the language on second ability by making it "return ~ from exile to the battlefield under your control.  activate this ability only if you cast and instant or sorcery spell this turn." -- I would prefer if it were limited to red instant/sorcery, for the true red phoenix feel -- otherwise, very solid; easy target for spot removal, but then comes right back; mix of red top-heavy quality and phoenix revival -- great = 9/10

magicpablo666 = Phosphine Phoenix = first attempt was better -- I truly and deeply hope wotc never creates "burn spell" as a key word -- phoenixes aren't about regenerating; they do in fact die, and then come back from death.. no avoiding death -- regeneration is also so much less powerful than reanimation; more time restrictive and have to have the card to discard when you need it.. -- taking design as a whole, isn't really up to mythic levels; I would play Chandra's Phoenix over this every time, and that's only rare = 2/10

turnip_song = Dawnfire Phoenix = could really use an initial cost, and not be dependant on discard -- "beginning of your upkeep" not "turn" -- second ability is very odd; you get it back for free (only way to actually get it) as long as it died sometime other than your previous upkeep.. what? -- interesting take on revival; if it made more sense, could have very nice potential, and be very clearly mythic rare = 2/10

Dream_Spinner = Bennu of the Inner Sun = looks like it needs to be legendary, especially since having multiple out would exile each other anyway -- it didn't revive itself; interesting take on the phoenix ability, but just doesn't feel like -- also doesn't feel very red; surviving death, and exiling.. just aren't red = 3/10

FezzHead = Urn of Phoenix Ash = I wanted mythic rare phoenix creatures; this is technically outside of contest criteria -- feedback, but no grade: the cycle of sacrifice to make a phoenix, then when that token dies you get it back.. too cyclic -- maybe "whenever a non-token phoenix".. -- would also much prefer if the tokens were X/1; and if this is mythic rare, you could even justify making multiple X/1 tokens; or even make X 3/1 tokens (then probably take away haste.. or leave haste, but make the artifact legendary)

EyeballFrog = Eternal Phoenix = confusing effects could have been neater by just allowing play from exile -- I like the idea of using unearth to give it psuedo-haste only after death -- maybe: flying, unearth, 'you may cast ~ from exile for [a different cost]'; so it creates a loop of ways to get it back each time, but you revive it in different ways, and sometimes it has haste, but not always.. some really cool potential = 7/10

Dudibus = Resurgent Phoenix = *"return ~ from", not "put" -- *"beginning of your upkeep", not "turn" -- I like it; you get it each turn, for free after the first cmc 5; you can never block with it (and frankly, it should be a 4/1 since you can't block anyway and it's apparently so unstable).. -- some wording issues and I would prefer 4/1, but otherwise really good design = 8.5/10

ChaosLight = Phoenix Flare = why does it make 10 mana instead of 7?  7 would make a lot more sense (since it cost 7) -- 3 is a lot to discard; and he only goes back to your hand, not into play.. if you're discard 3, and we're talking mythic rare level, he really should just go back into play, and probably have haste when he does.. otherwise, 3 is just too big a cost to pay for a 4/4 flying (and even when he dies and you get all that mana, you don't have cards to spend it on anymore) = 3/10

Sleeping = Vesuvius = "deity" is not an accepted magic creature type -- I would like the first ability a lot more if the damage had to be to a player, and then you destroy a land that player controls; limiting it to nonbasic limits the power, but then allowing it to be combat damage to anything makes it trigger too often; also sucks to spend that much mana on a mythic rare that doesn't have a "may" and could force you to destroy your own nonbasic lands.. -- sacrificing a mountain to revive (especially given flavor of the name) is great; the creature is random; sac 3 mountains and back onto the battlefield? I cold see that.. that would push flavor even further and make him more mythic feeling = 7/10

froofroo = Bitterburn Phoenix = ...graveyard from play? so, if it would "die"? -- also want an intervening "then" between the counter going on, before dealing the damage -- nice take on revival; doesn't actually revive.. really.. cuts out the middle man and doesn't even go to graveyard first; just automatically back, and a little beefed up -- still subject to exile, so, good.. -- problem is of course sacrifice combos; get a creature or spell that lets you sacrifice at will, and this guy is instant auto-win -- the rules glitch defeated you = 6/10

BiggBaddBill = Evolving Phoenix = that is really cool -- himself not a powerhouse phoenix, but allows you to bring back bigger body phoenixes -- interesting shift on Warren Instigator ability -- the exile after helps, but I'd still like "return up to two other Phoenix.." the "other" just makes me feel better, but isn't truly necessary given the exile -- really nifty = 9/10

DaytimeLantern = Everflame Phoenix = cute with the persist/undying.. but doesn't really work in any beneficial way: when it dies, both trigger, but you decide in what order; so, you can have it either come back through persist (with -1/-1) or undying (with +1/+1) [and obviously you'd choose undying]; but when the first resolves, it is returned to the battlefield with that counter on it; the second resolves, but doesn't do anything; you don't actually get both counters, and they don't cancel out; this is just a 4/2 flying undying for 4.. not a terrible phoenix, but certainly not a mythic rare phoenix -- I do really like the flavor text, though= 4/10

an_endless_epidemic = Inferno Phoenix = "whenever" not just "when" (since will be happening more than once..) -- it deals the damage or you somehow deal the damage?  was this an attempt to get around protection from red?  because I don't like it.. -- full fledged revival; comes back from anywhere, for free, every turn.. -- I know we're working in mythic rare, but that's crazy powerful; it lightning bolt's a player, board wipes his weaker creatures, leaves all his creatures susceptible to removal, and still swings as a 4/4.. and it never goes away; and it does all that every single turn (with haste 'n' all) -- if it were a 4/1, it could at least be zapped or given stat removal, but 4/4 is susceptible to a lot less spot removal -- just too strong = 5/10

Fenix = Mana-Charged Phoenix = that is a really interesting revival ability; very unique and clever; major kudos on that -- I like that you didn't go with haste; it gets free attacking if you get the chroma (which, seriously, is super easy to get), but isn't a 4/2 swinging at opponent the second you have 3 mana -- I'll admit though, that I hate the name.. just hate it.. and really would have liked flavor text about fires of allies' spirits or something to draw mechanics together flavor-wise  -- but, yeah, really nice -- maybe could be a 3/2.. but 4/2 isn't absurd = 8.5/10

winners = VRdragoon and BiggBaddBill --- you are each invited to FINAL round
honorable mention = Dudibus and Fenix --- if you do not reach FINAL round during round two or round three, you will have an extra voting point (to be described later) during FINAL round

Explanation of voting during FINAL round =

I said I would explain later; and, well, no time like the present.

VOTE FOR TWO
After submissions are in for FINAL round, there will be a period where everyone who didn't submit can vote.
Each voter selects his favorite two submissions.

APPORTION POINTS
Voters have voting points (starting number yet to be determined).  Voters have to vote for two cards, and apportion their voting points between their two choices by level of preference.
Example: Let's say five people make it to FINAL round.  Each voter than picks his two favorites of the five submissions.  Pretending there are 4 starting points, that voter can give +3 to one of his chosen submissions, and +1 to the other; or +2 to each.  A voter may not apportion all of his points in favor of only one submission (i.e., no +4 to one and +0 to the other).

EXTRA POINTS FROM HONORABLE MENTION
During rounds one, two, and three, designers may receive honorable mention for their submissions.  A designer who recieves honorable mention will be apportioned an additional voting point to be used during FINAL round.  That is, a designer who demonstrates superior ability will be able to exercise superior influence in deciding the results of FINAL round.
However, if a designer receives honorable mention in rounds one, two, or three, but also wins any of those rounds, his additional voting points are nullified (having been rendered moot by the fact that he will be a designer in FINAL round and not a voter).

MULTIPLE WINS HAVE NO EFFECT ON VOTING
A designer may win multiple times during rounds one, two, and three.  This has no effect on voting in FINAL round.
Multiple wins may be taken into consideration for the purpose of breaking a tie or other purposes, but will not influence participant voting.