When 4e is done, sell tools to the players for real

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
When 4e is finished and all the final errata is compiled into the various tools, I would like to see WotC sell the complete Insider as a standalone DVD-rom or download for offline use. I know this has been said before, but I really feel the time is right for this to happen.

WotC has a narrow window of opportunity to cash in on the current player base of 4e. Once those players move on to 5e (or Pathfinder, or Numenera, or whatever) they will not pay for an Insider subscription. BUT, if WotC gets their stuff together now, they can still cash in on that current player base and get a few more dollars from their Insider products. Most 4e players I know are either unsubbing or turning off the auto renew on their Insider subscriptions. WotC has to realize that their time is running out.

All of this material is already out there as pirated PDF's and it's only a matter of time before someone creates pirated offline tools that will take the place of the soon to be defunct D&D Insider. Basically, if WotC doesn't do this, someone else will and any chance to make money off it will be lost.

The huge popularity of the 1e reprints and upcoming 3.5 reprints shows that people will still buy books even when there are countless free versions available online. I know WotC is worried about book sales of existing stock, but this late in the 4e cycle selling an offline version won't effect book sales one bit. If anything, it might get a few more people into the game who would buy some of those books in the warehouse.

Do the right thing WotC, sell this stuff now while you still have people who will pay for it.

I'd definitely buy something like this. So much of 4E came through digital content. This would allow me to have a truly "complete" 4E collection.

What happened to my post count? It seems the more I post, the more it drops. Is that how it's supposed to work?

I agree fully.  I would even consider swapping out my current 4e for a complete updated set (trade in the old ones for credit of course, but the sale from WotC to the store would still make them a profit).  I would also consider a DVD for my comps!

I know that I'm new to Insider and all, and I was just reading over the forms for 5e, and had a consern.  When 5e comes out, I'm guessing they will update the Charater Builder to the current version.  I don't plan on moving to 5e.  I've just returned to D&D and enjoy 4e very much (as well as my kids, the real reason for my epic return to gaming).  I've very much enjoyed the use of the Charater Builder, and it is 90% of the reason I would keep paying for Insider.  Then I thought of all those that play older versions still, and wondered where they go for a cool Charater Builder?

Anyway, if Insider loses the 4e Charater builder, they lose me too.
And yes, I would pay for a builder seperate.

Edit: Just did a search and it looks like WotC didn't offer a Charater Builder for anything before 4e, though there are a few built by fans out there :-)

Do the right thing WotC, sell this stuff now while you still have people who will pay for it.

QFT

Or put another way: since I probably won't be playing 5th Edition, I'll quit D&D if the online tools don't exist anymore, since I know I won't be bothering with building a character by hand. Especially if it's level 11 or higher.

Edit: Just did a search and it looks like WotC didn't offer a Charater Builder for anything before 4e, though there are a few built by fans out there :-)

Wizards did put out a character builder for 3e, e-tools: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Tools

Be careful in looking at that link, as the amount of Deja vu experienced can be drastic.

TSR also put out a set of electronic tools for 2e, I believe the copy I have is called AD&D CD-ROM Core Rules 2.0
I really hope WotC does this.

Right now I trawl the internet looking for people who can illegally create offline versions. This is so stupid because I actually want to pay for legitimate, legal versions of an offline Character Builder, Monster Builder and Compendium.

How difficult could it be to sell it as a giant download once 4E content finishes? Heck, I am sure they could charge equivalent of a year's subscription to DDi. The usual whingers would complain all over the 'net - but that's simply what they do - but a lot of others would buy it.

(snip) TSR also put out a set of electronic tools for 2e, I believe the copy I have is called AD&D CD-ROM Core Rules 2.0

The interesting thing about the Core Rules CD-ROM for 2E was that it worked really, really, really well. The same developer should have been used for the mutant abortion that became e-Tools (more accurately, e-Turds).

Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom

Right now I trawl the internet looking for people who can illegally create offline versions. This is so stupid because I actually want to pay for legitimate, legal versions of an offline Character Builder, Monster Builder and Compendium.

Funny you mention that. This morning I spent an hour doing exactly this. In the end I got what I was looking for, but I'd still fork over money for an official offline version from WotC.
Sign In to post comments