Community Cup 2012 Discussion

97 posts / 0 new
Last post
The community team for this year has been announced. This thread is to discuss the announcement of the team, reaction to the formats/structure, and build excitement. Separate thread(s) will be created for community deckbuilding help when the constructed format(s) are announced.

2012 Community Team Members
Jon Loucks - @jonloucks
Limited Resources cast member.

Neale Talbot - @wrongwaygoback
Creator of the Wrong Way Go Back Magic blog network.

Jessie Smith - @Smi77y
The Eh Team cast member and SCG writer.

Heath Newton - @MTGOTraders
Creator/sponsor of PureMTGO.

Conley Woods - @Conley81
Channel Fireball writer and Magic Pro.

Jackie Lee - @JackieL33
Competitive up-and-comer, writer, streamer and card alterer who has also helped expose and stand up to misogyny in the Magic community.

James Turner - @James_LRR
LoadingReadyRun comedy group member, including the Friday Nights series.

Walter Kolczynski - @bubba0077
That's me. I'm VCL for the Magic and Magic Online boards.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Good luck. You're going to need it!
Lee Sharpe Data Analyst Wizards of the Coast
Good luck 2012 Community Team. See you soon!

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Thanks for the invitation, WotC, to come to Seattle and kick your butts!

Which is a really strange invitation when you think about it.

I'm going to try not to think about it. 
Congrats to you all!

Winter.Wolf

Delighted with the team this year. Bring it home!
Congrats and good luck to the team (not that they should need it, if history is any indication).

Does anybody else find it curious that the nomination process is based on MTGO account names, but the announcement only features (and thus promotes) twitter handles? It might be the case that Wizards doesn't want to officially publish account names, but why have a process then that encourages people to give out players' screen names in a public forum?

I also would have expected to read more about the participants connection to MTGO and the MTGO community rather than those ubiquitous questions (favorite Magic card etc.). A short paragraph introducing the player and their contributions would certainly help those that don't know every prominent Magic player and/or MTGO (forum) contributor.

Last but not least, Conley's twitter handle is listed correctly here (@Conley81), but incorrectly on the Arcana (@clwoods). I suppose that Heath doesn't have or doesn't want to use a non-business twitter account for this?
Does anybody else find it curious that the nomination process is based on MTGO account names, but the announcement only features (and thus promotes) twitter handles? It might be the case that Wizards doesn't want to officially publish account names, but why have a process then that encourages people to give out players' screen names in a public forum?

Twitter is more immediately accessable and a better medium to see each person's interactions with the community. I'm sure all of the community cup names (the CC_ names) will be published later.

I also would have expected to read more about the participants connection to MTGO and the MTGO community rather than those ubiquitous questions (favorite Magic card etc.). A short paragraph introducing the player and their contributions would certainly help those that don't know every prominent Magic player and/or MTGO (forum) contributor.

Agree on this one. Let me see if I can get everyone to stop by and introduce themselves and copy them to the first post.

EDIT: And in the meantime, I've added one-line bios to the first post.
Last but not least, Conley's twitter handle is listed correctly here (@Conley81), but incorrectly on the Arcana (@clwoods). I suppose that Heath doesn't have or doesn't want to use a non-business twitter account for this?

I'll get somebody to fix Conley's handle in the article. To my knowledge, the traders account is Heath's only twitter.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Congrats all. Its awesome to see a repeat by bubba! Go get them team.

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

Making MTGO a better place by BETA testing!

How to apply for beta

Community Cup Player 2011

Arent there normally nine players?

Let Wotc know that Standard Pauper needs in game support! WoTc does listen! HERE

BETA BOARDS Moderator

Want to know about the next Magic Online Player Run Events? Then click the link and check it out!

How to apply for beta

Thank you for putting in the one line bios, bubba0077.  That was one thing (why were these people selected?) I wanted to know when reading over the announcement and it was strange that it was not there.
Congrats and good luck, though I doubt you'll need it to beat that lot again...

Thanks for the Bios bubba, I didn't know most of these people, but I guess that's mostly because I barely have time to play MTGO, much less watch streams and listen to podcasts  :P

Also, have fun on your second trip, bubba.  This time it should be less hasty and rushed than your previous experience.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
One of the things that I would like to personally do is get a list of topics that you would like for me to speak with the staff about(with their approval) and try to setup some interviews.   This is something that Erik did(puremtgo.com/coverage/community_cup) as he cared about the future of the game and making sure your voices were heard.  I'm assuming I will need to have the questions approved ahead of time so the sooner you get them to me the better.  I guess the best thing to do would be to post them in this thread or you can send me a direct message on the forums.  I will compile the list and then send them over to WOTC for approval.
Good luck. You're going to need it!

May the trash talking begin!
I suppose that Heath doesn't have or doesn't want to use a non-business twitter account for this?

Sorry that is the only account that I use and I was not aware that our twitter names were going to be used so heavily with the cup.  In the spirit of the cup I will however agree to greatly reduce any sort of business posts until the cup is over.(I will still have to tell people when we have RTR in stock for instance.)  You can also reach me on my MTGO name wilmheath.
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
The community team for this year has been announced. This thread is to discuss the announcement of the team, reaction to the formats/structure, and build excitement. Separate thread(s) will be created for community deckbuilding help when the constructed format(s) are announced.

2012 Community Team Members
Jon Loucks - @jonloucks
Limited Resources cast member.

Neale Talbot - @wrongwaygoback
Creator of the Wrong Way Go Back Magic blog network.

Jessie Smith - @Smi77y
The Eh Team cast member and SCG writer.

Heath Newton - @MTGOTraders
Creator/sponsor of PureMTGO.

Conley Woods - @Conley81
Channel Fireball writer and Magic Pro.

Jackie Lee - @JackieL33
Competitive up-and-comer, writer, streamer and card alterer who has also helped expose and stand up to misogyny in the Magic community.

James Turner - @James_LRR
LoadingReadyRun comedy group member, including the Friday Nights series.

Walter Kolczynski - @bubba0077
That's me. I'm VCL for the Magic and Magic Online boards.

Congrats to all, especially Heath (finally for him) and Walter (for being the first repeat!)
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)
Thanks for the bios. These REALLY need to be on the main page though. Other than Conley, none of the names are familiar.
Woo hoo! Congrats to all! Tickeld pink at some of the names there, especially bubba, Heath, & Jackie... Kick ass and bring home the Hammy!

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

Congratulations to everyone who got selected.
It looks like a good team, I'm going to have to check out some of those articles/streams as I only recognise a couple of the names.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

Neale Talbot - you picked a bad example for Necrotic Ooze with Arms Dealer - it's a reprint!  I do appreciate the sentiment though...

Congrats and good luck to the whole team, with an extra slice of goodness to Heath and Bubba.
Well, Bubba is a 'bot, so he's not the first repeat player.  I mean no human can be online as much as he is, especially on MTGO. So, he is the first repeat AI.  Tongue Out

I'm also glad to see Heath on here, it's nice to see some familiar names from the boards, and Heath represents a sub-community of people who are truly economically-invested into MTGO which I think needs to be represented at these sort of events.

The one thing I'd like to see, and I know budgeting is a concern, is a more global team going forward.  I'm not sure if there's a way to hold a companion event in relation with both a European and Asian community audience -- but the contributions of both sides of the world bring a lot to the MTGO experience, and I think a bit of that should be reflected here.  Maybe somewhere in those last two sentences is a good question for Heath to ask while he's up there.

Anyway, best of luck to you all.  And even if you don't win (and you just know WotC is due ...), have as much fun as you can while being forced to wear pants.

Later,

Don! 
A failure to plan, is a plan to fail.

Anyway, best of luck to you all.  And even if you don't win (and you just know WotC is due ...), have as much fun as you can while being forced to wear pants.

Later,

Don! 

Who said we wore pants while there playing?

BETA BOARDS Moderator

How to apply for beta

The one thing I'd like to see, and I know budgeting is a concern, is a more global team going forward.  I'm not sure if there's a way to hold a companion event in relation with both a European and Asian community audience -- but the contributions of both sides of the world bring a lot to the MTGO experience, and I think a bit of that should be reflected here.

FWIW, Neale is coming from SE Asia.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
I had heard a whole 3 names out of those. Who are they in online? Is this thing 0% about how well someone plays in magic online? One guy has over 1000 qp-s this year. He wasnt selected? Why? Or was he?

Edit:  Sorry, I wasn't trying to be offensive or anything, just, umm... Information hungry?
I had heard a whole 3 names out of those. Who are they in online? Is this thing 0% about how well someone plays in magic online? One guy has over 1000 qp-s this year. He wasnt selected? Why? Or was he?

This thing is 0% about how well someone plays Magic anywhere.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show

This thing is 0% about how well someone plays Magic anywhere.

Thank goodness or I would of never been selected.
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
Heath, some topics to consider.

1. Power nine - I'm sure many people besides myself are curious on this. Likely, we won't get much information, but anything you can get would be cool.

2. State of OOP drafting - They use to rotate different formats every week with a scheduele. Over the past two years is has pretty much faded away. The legacy scene can greatly benefit from these drafts, and many people like myself like to try or play something new from the usual formats offered.

3. Ways to introduce barrier entry cards into the system - Almost on the same page as OOP drafting, but if they won't do OOP drafts, they must have some way to help circulate cards like Force of Will around, allowing easy entry into formats like legacy.

4. MOCS - This past year they cut back on their MOCS tounreys; they no longer offer opt outs or actual cards for sealed deck. The amount of people playing in these tournaments has greatly gone up over the past year or so, maybe an increase in prize support or reintroduce the opt out option. Playing one of these is like a crap shoot. Another possible suggestion is to up the number of QPs to play in an MOCS, while offering opt outs as well.

GL guys!
Congratulations everyone, good luck, beat WotC, defend Hammy, all that stuff...

But really, Bubba, this is important: make sure you go kick Algona and [evil 'gona]. He's been missing for a while.

Well, Bubba is a 'bot, so he's not the first repeat player.  I mean no human can be online as much as he is, especially on MTGO. So, he is the first repeat AI.  Tongue Out

I've met Bubba, he seemed pretty human. Except for his snoring, that was superhuman. I still can't believe after making day 2 of a grand prix, rather than sleep or practice, dude stayed up moderating the forums.
Heath the two points that interest me the most:

1. P9 Online (I thik everybody wants to know that).

2. Increasing the trade limit (I know it is burning point for you too, but you are not the only one trading cards worth more than 300 tickets so you have our support on this one).

Where do you intent to publish the outcome? puremtgo.com I guess, right? 
If the topic suggestions are going to continue, I would prefer there be a separate thread for them.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
If the topic suggestions are going to continue, I would prefer there be a separate thread for them.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...  Would you mind moving over all appropriate responses mr Bubba.
PureMTGO.com
Congratulations everyone.  Win big,
Congrats to all. Really, I mean it. I'm not jealous. NOT AT ALL! ;)

Guess what? Chicken butt.

Congrats to all. Really, I mean it. I'm not jealous. NOT AT ALL! ;)

I was just joking with Joe yesterday about me showing up in my underwear literally and how funny/akward it would be for everyone involved.  Oh I wish I had the juevos to do something like that but I would most likely be asked to leave or never invited back haha.
PureMTGO.com
Ahh, come on. I was serious when i told you to do that Heath!

BETA BOARDS Moderator

How to apply for beta

2 weeks to go! Woo hoo! Go Community Team! Make the Poobahs cry!

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

Woo hoo, Community Cup!

But, sorry to break it to you, this is the year that the Community Team will be sent home with their tail between their legs.  Go WotC!
Woo hoo, Community Cup!

But, sorry to break it to you, this is the year that the Community Team will be sent home with their tail between their legs.  Go WotC!

You guys say that every year. I guess we all have to dream.
Community Team going for the four-peat!

Go team. 

BETA BOARDS Moderator

How to apply for beta

Wotc has the ultimate trump card on the community cup...

If they just make the prize for the community cup team losing really awesome everyone will want you guys to throw it ;)
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
Wotc has the ultimate trump card on the community cup... If they just make the prize for the community cup team losing really awesome everyone will want you guys to throw it ;)

Now that's an idea...
Has any information been released other than the list of participants?
Has any information been released other than the list of participants?

Tonight.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show