Gigapede & Phantasmagorian

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

I've been testing some dredge decks. And some decks use Gigapede and much use Phantasmagorian. I'm asking about the Gigapede ability. I mean...

Can I do the Gigapede ability from graveyard to discard a card and return it to hand several times? Or it's just a triggered ability that happens once at the beggining of my upkeep?

Because in that case I would be able to:

-return gigapede discarting phantasmagorian
-return phantasmagorian discarting 2 cards and gigapede
-return gigapede ... again and again
until I have no dredgers in hand

Greetings

I've been testing some dredge decks. And some decks use Gigapede and much use Phantasmagorian. I'm asking about the Gigapede ability. I mean...

Can I do the Gigapede ability from graveyard to discard a card and return it to hand several times? Or it's just a triggered ability that happens once at the beggining of my upkeep?

Because in that case I would be able to:

-return gigapede discarting phantasmagorian
-return phantasmagorian discarting 2 cards and gigapede
-return gigapede ... again and again
until I have no dredgers in hand

Greetings

It only triggers once.  After that it is no longer the beginning of your upkeep.

It only triggers once.  After that it is no longer the beginning of your upkeep.

But players can play spells and abilities during the beginning of each player's upkeep, so why it's no longer the beginning of upkeep? that depends on it's controler priority decision to pass every phase.
So you mean that Gigapede ability is a triggered ability.

But players can play spells and abilities during the beginning of each player's upkeep,

No. Players can play spells during the player's upkeep, in 'the middle' of it not in its beginning. The beginning if the single point in time when the upkeep starts. This only happens once per upkeep.

503. Upkeep Step
503.1. First, any abilities that trigger at the beginning of the upkeep step and any abilities that triggered during the turn's untap step go on the stack. (See rule 603, "Handling Triggered Abilities.")
503.2. Second, the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities.

Triggered abilities always start with "when", "whenever" or "at" (this one always like "at the beginning of..."). They trigger once when the event happens (when the upkeep begins) and goes to the stack. The event already happened (the upkeep already began, now where's during it not at this beginning).

[<o>]

Yes.
(it also has Shroud, which is a static ability) 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.                        -Albert Einstein

So, you keep on voting, and you keep expecting different results from those elections?

How long have you tried this, over and over?

Ain't it time you reached a different conclusion about this whole mascarade?

But players can play spells and abilities during the beginning of each player's upkeep,

No. Players can play spells during the player's upkeep, in 'the middle' of it not in its beginning. The beginning if the single point in time when the upkeep starts. This only happens once per upkeep.

503. Upkeep Step
503.1. First, any abilities that trigger at the beginning of the upkeep step and any abilities that triggered during the turn's untap step go on the stack. (See rule 603, "Handling Triggered Abilities.")
503.2. Second, the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities.

Triggered abilities always start with "when", "whenever" or "at" (this one always like "at the beginning of..."). They trigger once when the event happens (when the upkeep begins) and goes to the stack. The event already happened (the upkeep already began, now where's during it not at this beginning).

I have it clear. So the Gigapede ability can only be played once because it's an ability triggered "at".

Thank you people 
I have it clear.

I'm afraid there's two errors in what you said.

So the Gigapede ability can only be played once because it's an ability triggered "at".

Abillities are never played; triggered abilities are triggered. And it's not going to trigger once; it's going to trigger at the beginning of each of your upkeeps.
I have it clear. So the Gigapede ability can only be played once because it's an ability triggered "at".

It triggers once per upkeep - once every time the event 'your upkeep begins' happens. 

The ability automatically triggers, by itself, when your upkeep starts, and goes to the stack.

When the ability resolves, you follow its effect: you may discard a (1, one) card, and if you do, Gigapede returns to your hand.

You don't choose to 'play' it, triggered abilities aren't voluntary on triggerin - but of course you can choose not to discard the card, as it says you 'may' do.

[<o>]
I have it clear.

I'm afraid there's two errors in what you said.

So the Gigapede ability can only be played once because it's an ability triggered "at".

Abillities are never played; triggered abilities are triggered. And it's not going to trigger once; it's going to trigger at the beginning of each of your upkeeps.

Useless comment.
It is understood that it triggers at the beginning of each of my upkeep.

What I was asking in this qüestion if that was a TRIGGERED ABILITY that triggers at the beginning of my upkeep or it was an ACTIVATED one. The "may" text confused me but: 

I HAVE IT CLEAR THAT IT IS AN AUTHOMATIC TRIGGERED EFFECT THAT GOES ON THE STACK AT THE BEGINNING OF MY UPKEEP ONLY IF I ASSURE ITS MAY DECISION.

jeez... 

I HAVE IT CLEAR THAT IT IS AN AUTHOMATIC TRIGGERED EFFECT THAT GOES ON THE STACK AT THE BEGINNING OF MY UPKEEP ONLY IF I ASSURE ITS MAY DECISION.

jeez... 

it triggers and goes on the stack at the beginning of your upkeep, period.  you don't decide whether to discard until the ability resolves.
603.5. some triggered abilities' effects are optional (they contain "may," as in "at the beginning of your upkeep, you may draw a card"). these abilities go on the stack when they trigger, regardless of whether their controller intends to exercise the ability's option or not. the choice is made when the ability resolves. likewise, triggered abilities that have an effect "unless" something is true or a player chooses to do something will go on the stack normally; the "unless" part of the ability is dealt with when the ability resolves.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Useless comment. It is understood that it triggers at the beginning of each of my upkeep.

It wasn't clear that you understood that, thus it wasn't useless comment. Would you prefer I assume you know the answer to the question you are asking?

What I was asking in this qüestion if that was a TRIGGERED ABILITY that triggers at the beginning of my upkeep or it was an ACTIVATED one.

That might have been what you wanted to ask, but that's no reason to be an ass to those who answered what you did ask.

To answer your question, abilities that start with "when", "whenever" or "at" are triggered abilities, so yes, it's a triggered ability. Activated abilities always have a colon ("cost: effect").

No, it's not up to you. It goes on the stack unconditionally.

No, it's not up to you. It goes on the stack unconditionally.

This is an important distinction if I want to Stifle it. I have to do so before you decide whether or not to discard.

Level 1 Judge

Sign In to post comments