9/19/2012 LI: "Whenever You Need It"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Editor-in-Chief of DailyMTG.com @trickmtg Email Me
this card has already been spoiled. like a couple of days ago. the only thing we happen to be missing is a card with rakdos in its name. and a blue rare. all other two hundred and seventy two cards have been spoiled. 
Not officially.

As for this card...Its not bad, but I think it will end up having the same problem that I eventually had with Mikaeus the Lunarch.  Theoretically it could come in early, but most of the time you need to wait for it to be effective, and then it ends up being vulnerable to larger threats by the time you want to cast it.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
Heh. I normally expect Steve to be very Spikey and Limited-focused (given, y'know, the name of the column and all). But I'm rather amused by the divergence at the end into Johnny/GrieferTimmy Constructed, using this card as a repeatable 4-mana land-destruction engine!

I think populate could well end up being great with Seance in constructed, at least in casual if not further.

But in limited, yeah, I'm loving the density of populate. Three common token-makers which populate, three more which don't, 4 more common oneoff populate cards, and this as an uncommon repeatable populate (not to mention the three rare repeatable populaters too). As a dyed-in-the-wool Johnny with favourite colours WUR I was expecting to play Izzet or perhaps Azorius at the prerelease, but having seen the almost-complete unofficial spoiler it's looking more and more like I'll actually go Selesnya.
Don't laugh I'm probably the worst deck builder on the planet.

Something I whipped up on the quick and playtested at work. Loving populate now coupled with Parallel Lives WOW! 

Anybody else notice how Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage looks eerily like Rhys the Redeemed?
cool, but not a constructed card. very awesome in limited though
This card is very powerful in limited.  I remember Centaur Glade being a bomb in Onslaught limited.  This card is way cheaper to cast than Centaur Glade, its first activation is cheaper, its subsequent activations are way cheaper, and sometimes the 2/2 body will attack against an open or tapped-out board.  You don't necessarily need 6 mana to get going either, if an effect from another card makes a token of any size, you can start repopulating that as soon as you get 4 mana.

Eh? It's cheaper to cast but the token activation is more expensive and the populate cost is the same as Centaur Glade. I think it's good in limited, but it needs some help. Six mana for a 3/3 is pretty steep. I think it's better with other token generating cards using it's populate ability than making Centaurs.
This card is very powerful in limited.  I remember Centaur Glade being a bomb in Onslaught limited.  This card is way cheaper to cast than Centaur Glade, its first activation is cheaper, its subsequent activations are way cheaper, and sometimes the 2/2 body will attack against an open or tapped-out board.  You don't necessarily need 6 mana to get going either, if an effect from another card makes a token of any size, you can start repopulating that as soon as you get 4 mana.

Eh? It's cheaper to cast but the token activation is more expensive and the populate cost is the same as Centaur Glade. I think it's good in limited, but it needs some help. Six mana for a 3/3 is pretty steep. I think it's better with other token generating cards using it's populate ability than making Centaurs.

I was misremembering Centaur Glade's activation cost as 7.