SNEAKY ATTACK (Martial Power Feat)

64 posts / 0 new
Last post
SNEAKY ATTACK says that if you use your Elven Accuracy to reroll an attack against an enemy granting you combat advantage and your second roll missess, you do not expend Elven Accuracy.

One of my friends (and player) thinks that since it is a free action, he can use the power repeatedly in the same turn until he hits the enemy.

In my opinion, (DM) it means that you consider the power not expended for that turn and that you can use it again and again in your next turns until you hit

Am I wrong

the rules state that you can take any number of free actions per turn with the only limit being free action attacks.  Elven accuracy is not an attack.  However the rules also state that the DM has the freedom to limit how many free actions a player can take during a turn. 

With all that being said the player is obviously trying to abuse a power / feat combination to ensure that a power of his choice hits no matter what.  Since according to him he can just keep rolling over and over until he hits.  Point out to him that this is an obvious attempt to abuse the combination.  Allow him to do it once, to see how cool his found (yet not allowed abuse) trick is and then say that you're ruling that he can only use elven accuracy once per power.  that's a good compromise.  So he misses with power A, uses elven accuracy and misses again, elven accuracy is not expended, he uses power b, misses with power b, uses elven accuracy again (because he's using a different power) and gets a hit.  that works.  His current interpretation, however, does not.

if he keeps debating it, send him our way, he can try to argue it with us and see how far he gets.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

He can't use it again to affect the same attack, but he doesn't have to wait until his next turn, just the next time he makes an attack (which could happen on the same turn or between turns).
No, you can't repeatedly use it on the same attack.

By the time you figure out the power isn't expended, the trigger for using the power has come and gone.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
No, you can't repeatedly use it on the same attack.

By the time you figure out the power isn't expended, the trigger for using the power has come and gone.

He isn't using it on the same attack roll though. He is using it (again) on the rerolled attack roll Elven Accuracy made that still missed.

Also Elven Accuracy doesn't have a trigger, so it isn't bothered by pesky things like timing rules.

So, RAW, yes, he can keep rerolling till he hits.

Elf Racial PowerElven Accuracy

With an instant of focus, you take careful aim at your foe and strike with the legendary accuracy of the elves.

Encounter  
Free Action      Personal

Trigger: You make an attack roll and dislike the result.

Effect: Reroll the attack roll. Use the second roll, even if it’s lower.

So, is this just another Compendium error?  It lists it both in PHB and in HotFL.  If the HotFL one is of this form, then the PHB one is out of date.  I don't have a hardcopy on hand.
as far as I know elven accuracy is a triggered free action, like it says on the printing mand gave.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

Huh, I guess they added a trigger line in HotFL. Point still stands though, when you reroll the attack roll and it misses, you've "made an attack roll and disliked the result." The trigger happened again, so you can use the power again.
i think the argument for this not working is twofold:

The one I advanced was that even though yes there's no limit set in stone for how many free actions you can use per turn, the DM has the right to say that you can't based on the rules stating a DM can limit the amount of free actions a player can use per turn.

The other being that when you figure out that your elven accuracy has also missed and it is the considered not expended you're passed the trigger you could declare is available to trigger the power again.  Since if we look at stack of events, the attack is missed with EA, you trigger the feat which enables you not to expend the power, the trigger of missing is passed.  You can't say that you use a triggered action based on missing when it is no longer the current event in the chain.  That's like saying you can trigger a power that runs off hitting when you're at the damage phase. 

At least this is my current understanding, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

RAW Sneaky Accuracy allow Elven Accuracy to be triggered over and over since it let you reroll an attack roll (provided you dislike it Tongue Out) and will be expended only whe you'll hit.

And so on until the attack roll hit... 

Huh, I guess they added a trigger line in HotFL. Point still stands though, when you reroll the attack roll and it misses, you've "made an attack roll and disliked the result." The trigger happened again, so you can use the power again.

But the "not expended" part doesn't happen until the attack resolves as a miss, which is after the trigger.

Interrupts can't trigger themselves.  Not possible.
actually isn't it more like this:

Make the attack roll and miss
trigger: you make an attack roll and dislike the result (elven accuracy)
miss with EA
trigger:  You miss with EA, EA is not expended
END, EA missing is no longer the current event in the queue.

you can't trigger EA again since missing is no longer the last event in the queue.  You can't use EA again until you use the trigger from the feat to have it not be expended.  you have to let that resolve itself until you can use EA again.  Meaning the triggering event, missing with the attack roll, is no longer the latest event in the queue.  You can't use a triggered action off an event that is no longer the current one in the queue unless the triggered action specifically says you can.  An example of this would be powers that state you did X during your turn.

EDIT: Ninja'ed by Mand !!!  damn you Sir ! :p

you can't use EA again until you use the trigger from the feat to have it not be expended

Good point. I didn't think about that.
But the "not expended" part doesn't happen until the attack resolves as a miss, which is after the trigger.

Interrupts can't trigger themselves.  Not possible.

That doesn't make sense. The point at which you, presumably, dislike the result is when you find out it missed. Since it missed, it isn't expended, and you can use it again.

It is limitable by RAW by limiting free actions though.
but in order to regain EA, you have to use the trigger that the attack still missed even though you used EA.  Meaning you have to let the miss resolve completely.

Then you go with the feat saying, I still missed my attack even though I used EA, it is not expended.

You have nothing left to use EA on.  The miss is resolved, meaning the chain is broken and you can't use EA again.

Isn't this correct ?  And if not, how so ?

Elven Accuracy's trigger is not only the attak roll you make but that you dislike it, an event that can happen after the miss. Wink
Are you serious plague or just being silly ?

"Trigger" isn't the right word in your post Noctaem. Sneaky Attack isn't "triggered." It just happens (triggers are always optional, by RAW, so even if something lacks an explicit trigger it has to be a choice). But you don't know if you dislike the result or not until you know if it missed. Since it missed, and you dislike the result, EA hasn't been expended and you can use it again.

It is actually very similar to Transposing Lunge, whose trigger is even more complex. It is an II that triggers off of "hits and takes damage." Now the hit has completely resolved by the time you get to the damage step, but it was FAQed to indicate that you can still invalidate the hit because you are interrupting the compound event "hit and takes damage." EE's trigger is roll and dislike the result. So Plague is being serious, in terms of RAW.
sneaky attack is triggered.  The trigger is missing with EA.  It does not just happen, if that were true then it could happen at any time for any reason.  It is optional because you're not forced to regain EA.

You can dislike the roll right when you roll it, even before you know if you hit or miss.  That's how people use it for crit fishing builds, they roll the dice, see it's not a crit and use EA right away to reroll. There's nothing anywhere that states you have to wait until you know it's a hit or miss.

I can't condone comparing this to transposing lunge because that power has an exception to the general rule built into it.  Meaning it does not follow standard procedure and should not be compared to any other power.  EA does indeed state two things that are used in its trigger.  However both can be met before even knowing if you hit or miss.  You also can't meet one requirement of a trigger and the other later on during your turn then claim that you can use the triggered action.  That's not how it works unless it specifically states you can, like transposing lunge does.  If that were not the case then they wouldn't have to make the exception in the text of that power.

The trigger of transposing lunge states that it must be triggered after the hit phase and during the damage phase, it also makes clear that you can't use it for things that don't deal damage.  Are you arguing that EA can be triggered at any time during the hit phase and any time afterwards during your turn or even later on during someone elses turn just because you suddenly decided that you dislike the result ?  I think not.  You have a clear window of when you must decide to use the power, during the hit phase when you roll an attack and decide you don't like the result.  If you use EA during that time, then miss and you have the option to regain it after missing, which means the hit sequence is resolved for that attack, you cannot come back and claim to roll EA again for that attack roll because it is resolved.  You missed.  This is what I believe is RAW.

It happens when something else happens. It is not triggered in a game sense, because that has a definition that it doesn't meet, part of which is it must be optional. You can't choose to expend EE even though you missed, if you missed you keep EE period. So any argument that references Sneaky Attack's timing based on the trigger rules is invalid, because it is not triggered in a game sense.

You can dislike the roll then. You can also dislike it after you know it if missed or not.

So does this. EE is quite clear you have to dislike the roll. SvG. Now as to whether a power should have ever had as a trigger something that involves your personal opinion.... well, that is another discussion, but it doesn't change the actual RAW.
Okay.  so EA is a triggered free action, which acts as an IR unless it has to act as an II to function.  Since you can wait until a hit or miss is resolved before choosing to use it, then it doesn't have to work as an II to function.  So, in theory you can wait until the attack roll and damage has been dealt, since once the attack roll happens, IRs wait until the damage/effect step is resolved as well.  So. . . . can you roll an attack, score a hit, roll minimum damage, and then decide that you dislike the result, reroll, TAKE A MISS if you roll it, and regain your use of Elven Accuracy with Sneaky Accuracy then?  Since, Sneaky Accuracy says "Benefit: If you use your elven accuracy racial power to reroll an attack against an enemy granting you combat advantage and the second roll misses, you do not expend elven accuracy."

Frankly it's a silly argument.  As a DM, I would limit this in the order of RAW limiting free actions during a turn.  But, strictly as written it's like this

Roll an attack, dislike the roll
Use EA
Reroll the attack
>>IF HIT, then you hit and proceed as normal.

>>IF MISS, then Sneaky Accuracy kicks in, EA is not expended. 
Since you just rolled an attacked that missed, then likely you dislike the result
Use EA
Reroll the attack
Repeat until the result of this Reroll is a Hit. 
"Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor? NOW you're scared!" - Rose Tyler
First of all, thank you for your answers!Wink

I don't want to use my "DM power" to limit my players but, I consider EA very similar to a "reliable" power. 
Maybe I am wrong but, I do not remember a power that let you roll repeatedly for an attack in the same turn until you hit. Do you?

Elven Accuracy's trigger is not only the attak roll you make but that you dislike it, an event that can happen after the miss. 

Precisely.  If you're going on the "dislike" thing, then I can now dislike the attack roll I made two years ago, and trigger Elven Accuracy, by this argument.
Since you can wait until a hit or miss is resolved before choosing to use it, then it doesn't have to work as an II to function. 

Yes it does, because you're changing the result of hit or miss as per the new roll.  That's what interrupts do.
It is actually very similar to Transposing Lunge, whose trigger is even more complex. It is an II that triggers off of "hits and takes damage." Now the hit has completely resolved by the time you get to the damage step, but it was FAQed to indicate that you can still invalidate the hit because you are interrupting the compound event "hit and takes damage." EE's trigger is roll and dislike the result. So Plague is being serious, in terms of RAW.

I hope you realize that this is exactly in accordance with my position that attacks are events.
yeah i can't go with the argument that because it says dislike I can play the rest of my turn after I miss and then suddenly decide that I want to reroll that attack I disliked from earlier.  That's just nonsense to me.  That's not how it works, so me and Mand are agreeing there I think.

I also believe as Mand does that this is an II, that must be used during the hit phase, not afterwards. I also believe that the feat in question requires that the hit phase resolve itself in a miss meaning you can't go back afterwards and change the result with EA that is not expended.

The example of transposing lunge is also suspicious.

I also believe that every single step of everything you do, is an event.  Using an attack roll is an event, so is using EA, using the feat to regain EA, missing, etc etc..  You can't go back with II to an earlier event in the chain.  If you believe that then as Mand stated and as I stated earlier, you could go back in time or use EA during someone elses turn later to re-roll attack rolls that you suddenly decided you disliked the result of.  Which makes no sense. 

I hope you realize that this is exactly in accordance with my position that attacks are events.

I hope you can read "compound event" and realize it isn't. 

@Noctaem: Makes sense or not, it is what the rules say. The rules often don't make sense.
well I don't agree that it's what the rules say.  Your reading would allow someone to come back to any attack roll at any point and time.  This is not how II's with triggers work, the event that they use to trigger can't be 3 turns ago.  I'm surprised you don't see how flawed that logic is.  IMHO, your view is not RAW, and certainly not RAI.  I also don't believe that you can chain EA the way you state it can be done.  Regaining EA requires that the miss be resolved completely so you can regain it.

So agree to disagree.  Either way we already gave the OP an option that everyone agrees on, limiting the amount of free actions the player can take during his turn.

Elven Accuracy's trigger is not only the attak roll you make but that you dislike it, an event that can happen after the miss. 

Precisely.  If you're going on the "dislike" thing, then I can now dislike the attack roll I made two years ago, and trigger Elven Accuracy, by this argument.

If it takes you two years to compare the attack roll to the target defense to determine if it hit or miss, your doing something wrong. Wink

I see people using Elven Accuracy like this all the time. People roll, miss and decide to use Elven Accuracy to reroll.

If it takes you two years to compare the attack roll to the target defense to determine if it hit or miss, your doing something wrong. 

I see people using Elven Accuracy like this all the time. People roll, miss and decide to use Elven Accuracy to reroll.

Something wrong, yes, but something in accordance to RAW as you would like me to believe it.  That your argument leads to a situation beyond your credence is a problem with your argument, not mine.
well I don't agree that it's what the rules say.  Your reading would allow someone to come back to any attack roll at any point and time.  This is not how II's with triggers work, the event that they use to trigger can't be 3 turns ago.  I'm surprised you don't see how flawed that logic is.  IMHO, your view is not RAW, and certainly not RAI.  I also don't believe that you can chain EA the way you state it can be done.  Regaining EA requires that the miss be resolved completely so you can regain it.

So agree to disagree.  Either way we already gave the OP an option that everyone agrees on, limiting the amount of free actions the player can take during his turn.

Triggers specifically say they must be satisfied. If I make an attack roll but don't dislike it, the trigger isn't satisfied. The reason I used transposing lunge as an example it because part of its trigger, hitting, has in fact been completely resolved and it is still interrupted. Because the power says so, doesn't matter that that isn't the normal rule. By identical logic, any time I make an attack roll and dislike the result, I can interrupt it. Doesn't matter when I dislike it. That is the RAW. Which is why the power shouldn't have been "and dislike the result." That is just a stupid way to phrase a power, but since that is what it says....

That you don't like what the rules say is not an indication they are illogical. The rules are doing exactly what they say they do.
it's not that I don't like what the rules say, I have my own view of what the rules say.  What I don't agree with is your point of view which doesn't make sense with what the rules say in my view.  you state that because of the wording of the trigger I can choose to re-roll an attack roll from 3 sessions ago because I've now decided I dislike the result (and therefore meeting both requirements).  If this makes sense to you by the rules, then you go right ahead.  To me, by the rules, it does not.

The problem that you don't seem to catch onto is that transposing lunge does have a double trigger requirement.  You have to have hit and you have to have dealt damage.  that much is clear and we agree on.  The part you don't seem to see is that by the same trigger it also tells you exactly when you can use it, and if you don't use it during that window, well you can't turn around during the next turn and say I use transposing lunge now for that hit last turn where you took damage.  That's not how it works.  you're saying it is, by comparing both and saying they use the same logic, I disagree.

But they have identical logic. Both parts of the trigger must be satisfied, but not at the same time because one part of the trigger has already resolved, and the trigger rules say you can use a triggered power when the trigger is satisfied. So, yes, by RAW, it doesn't matter when I decide I dislike the attack roll. It happens, trigger is satisfied, I use EE. It could well have been I am level 30 and when I was level 1 I accidentally killed the destined savior and just now I decided I disliked the result. Trigger is just now satisfied, so I use EE. The error is in making a trigger that is dependent on a player's perception, rather than an objective event. While it might be silly it is what the rules actually say and it has plenty of precedent for powers with compound triggers.

Your argument doesn't make any sense. I am using EE the moment I "dislike the result." Which is the trigger. Triggers rules say you have the choice to use a triggered power when the trigger is satisfied, not before and not after. So your comparison to using Transposing Lunge the next turn is nonsense, you're past the trigger. But not for "dislike the result." Which happens, literally, whenever you decide you dislike the result.

Hell, by strict RAW, if I roll a 1 and decide I dislike the result right then this wouldn't work, because I haven't technically gotten to comparing defenses and etc, but it'll be too late, the trigger will have passed. This makes sense by the rules.
It is worded stupidly. It should have a trigger similar to divine guidance, which is an ally makesan attack roll against your oath target. EA could be trigger, you make an attack roll, effect; roll again and use either result.

Or, trigger, you make an attack roll and miss. Effect; roll again and use the second result even if lower.

The mention of not liking the result is too open ended, and really has no reason to be listed as part of a trigger
"Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor? NOW you're scared!" - Rose Tyler
It could be argued that you "must use the second roll" (i.e. the one from the first use of EA), no matter how many times EA is triggered...
It could be argued that you "must use the second roll" (i.e. the one from the first use of EA), no matter how many times EA is triggered...

Always my thought on dealing with infinite elven accuracy shenanigans.
It may be a cheessy rules argument but trying to get infinite elven accuracy is cheessy.
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
An Elven Accuracy's reroll is always a second roll to the triggering dice roll.
An Elven Accuracy's reroll is always a second roll to the triggering dice roll.

So, you recursively trigger EA and you eventually hit, which means that all of those EAs previous couldn't have happened, so you actually missed and EA has been expending since you did hit finally.

So, end result: no hit, no more EA for this encounter.  The end.

As an aside, I'd like to point out that Transposing Lunge itself doesn't have a trigger.  It can be used as part of the Aegis of Shielding trigger, which is an immediate interrupt of your marked target hitting one of your allies.

Transposing Lunge by itself is a Standard Action attack.

So, you recursively trigger EA and you eventually hit, which means that all of those EAs previous couldn't have happened

This could be true if Elven Accuracy's trigger was that you miss but its not. Its trigger is simply that you make an attack roll and dislike the result.

I agree.  I think the reroll wording of this and many similar powers makes it so that you can not benefit from another 'reroll' to the same attack roll.  "You must use the second roll."  So there's no point in trying to reuse Elven Accuracy in conjunction with Sneaky Attack even if it could otherwise grant a third, fourth, or fifth reroll...

Exception: Elven level 10 Racial Utility daily Determined Accuracy states:

"Trigger: You use elven accuracy to reroll an attack and dislike the new result.

Effect: Reroll the attack roll with a +2 power bonus. Use this result, even if it’s lower."  

This would be an exception to the "you must you the second roll" rule, since it explicitly breaks the elven accuracy restriction.  Specific overrides general.
Compendium reports:

Sneaky Accuracy

Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Elf, rogue, Sneak Attack class feature
Benefit: If you use your elven accuracy racial power to reroll an attack against an enemy granting you combat advantage and the second roll misses, you do not expend elven accuracy.

I think it's enough to say that the power text should be rewritten.
Sign In to post comments