DotP Ipad Tourny #4 --- THE DLC VERSION

282 posts / 0 new
Last post
IPAD DotP  TOURNY #4 ----the DLC VERSION

INFO: This will be an 8 round swiss tournament followed by a single elimination 8 man tournament seeded 1v8, 2vs7, 3vs, 4vs 5. I would like to try to complete 2 round per week and certainly no less than 3 rounds every two weeks.

Rules:

Show

--Each person picks 5 standard decks and gets 5 dlc decks.
--You must use all DLC decks before using one twice and you must use all standard decks once before using a deck twice.
--If someone is kicked at the beginning of a match or in between rounds you may choose a different deck when you replay the game so as to avoid any sideboard cheating. This supercedes the previous rule
---Rounds will consist of a best of 3 matchup that pits dlc vs non-dlc and dlc vs dlc. As an example, suppose killabkilled plays thornbloom round 1
---Where both players are posting and trying to get a time to play but just can't the match will be considered a draw. If only one person is making the effort that person then wins the round 2-0. In either case,   participants must list a deck for that round and consider it used to avoid giving them an unfair advantage against future opponents.

SAMPLE Round 1
Game 1: Killabkilledb uses DLC and Thornbloom uses non-DLC
Game 2 Killabkilledb uses Non-DLC and Thornbloom uses DLC
Game 3 Each participant uses a different dlc deck than the one chose in game 1/2

Whoever is the top name in the Challonge bracket uses dlc first (there is no advantage this)

Participants:

-Killabkilledb--  GC: killabkilledb -- TZ: East US -- Deck: DP, CL, OD AW, PI   DLC  AS, SS, MS, GM, CM
-mobius -- GC: I Abuse Welfare -- TZ: Est US. -- Deck : ED, CL, CW, BF, PK  DLC  AS, SS, MS, GM, CM
-ShinHitokiri--GC:  Shin Hitokiri --   TZ: Est US -- Deck CL, BF, CW, OD, AW   DLC  AS, SS, MS, GM, CM
-reptyle    --   GC: psmoore --       TZ: Cen US -- Deck : GG, OD, ED, AW, CL   DLC  AS, SS, MS, GM, CM
-Squinter    --GC: Squinter --      TZ: AUS +10 -- Deck  PK, PI, OD, GG, CW  DLC  AS, SS, MS, GM, CM
-Miguel_Exe--GC: Miguel_Exe -- TZ: Mexico -6) --Deck  GG, PK, CW, CL, OD DLC AS, SS, MS, GM, CM
-lawsy2003--GC: lawsy2003 pinoymtg -- TZ: Est US --Deck CL, DP, ED, GG, OD  DLC  AS, SS, MS, GM, CM
-Schwabadoobie--GC: Schwabadoobie -- TZ: Est US --Deck  GG, AW, OD, CW, PK  DLC  AS, SS, MS, GM, CM

Challonge URL and Image:  (the image is slower to update than the link.)
challonge.com/dotpipadtourny4

Okay, this one seems kinda interesting. I'm in.

mobiuschickenstrips.......GC ID: I Abuse Welfare.....TZ: Eastern US.......Non-DLC Deck Choices: Exalted Darkness, Celestial Light, Crosswinds, Born of Flame, Peacekeepers
Yeah the #2 Tourney is REALLY slow and should finish soon.  I also like this format idea as you're not just limited to one deck Killa.  I guess I will be getting the DLC after all. Just hope the manual mana tapping is better as I used to tap cards in challenges for the right mana and it wouldn't cast that way.

Also, may I recommend a 72 hour time limit max to complete each round? The waiting in between rounds is a killer. 

GC ID:  Shin Hitokiri  Time Zone: Eastern U.S.

Non DLC Decks:  Celestial Light, Born of Flame, Crosswinds, Obedient Dead, Ancient Wilds
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Those who break the rules are considered scum; but those who would betray and abandon even one of their friends, are worst than scum(Kakashi Hatake/Originally Obito Uchiha/Tobi).
I would be interested, but are we gonna have some time to mess around with the DLC decks prior to this?  I'm a newbie as most of you that have played me now it's not difficult to beat me, but I love to play and try to learn from each match, so if you'll have me and my son I'm sure we'd be in.

GC ID: psmoore TZ: Central U.S. Non DLC decks:  Goblin Gangland, Obedient Dead, Exalted Darkness, Ancient Wilds, Celestial Light

I'll have my son Billy register on here and he can post his own stuff.
Sounds good.

Thornbloom...ttswayne...Japan Standard Time...PI, PK, CW, OD, DP

I was planning to run a (much simpler) tournament but deleted the thread as there seems to be more interest in this format.  You are welcome to use the Swiss Challonge I made for it if you want (see challonge.com/dotpipad4).  I can either give you admin rights (if you are registered) or update it myself as we go, whatever you prefer.  The point system is currently set as 1 per game win, 1 per match win, 3 per bye.

If we have to use all five DLC decks it wouldn't mind a few days to work on unlocks.

One question: in game three, do we have to use the DLC decks we used ealier in the match or can we switch DLC decks for game three?  Persume the former but not clear from the OP.

You may also want to address things like no deck modification between games in the OP as that seems to be a hot topic for some people. 
Paul, of course we'll have you and your son in the torunament if you want to play Smile. The best way to learn is playing against solid palyers like Thornbloom and Mobius and wathcing how others work and run their decks.

Thornbloom, I was going to set up a challonge so its great that you already did it... you can give me the password and we can both edit it or you can do it if you want. Whatever works for you! I'll do it myself or take the help. I'm not fussy. I really just want to play. I wanted it automated too so that site was a must for me. It keeps score and randomly produces the pairings so all we have to do in here is really keep track of decks and plug the info in there....

One: if we do a league instead of a swiss can keep the tourny running faster? In other words, can I edit scores after the fact in a challonge?

This addresses what ShinH was saying. Say we get 16 people and 7 matches finished and we are waiting for the last two people. Can I plug in artificial values and then go back and edit them after just to get the next round rolling? In a swiss this would be unfair and compromise the pairing logistics. But in a league where you draw a random opponent it would be fine and would help the tournament keep rolling fast.

Two: So we don't have to worry about people backing out and modding decks, I think the third match should be two completely new dlc decks though. So if people get disconnected between games it doesn't matter. Or how about this...If two people start a game and there is no CLEAR winner and someone gets kicked you replay the match and you CAN choose a completely different deck so if someone does do a dirtly little sideboard, it doesn't matter since you are changing decks. This rule would supercede the "must use all decks before using a deck twice clause". Of all the torunaments so far this seems to have popped up only once so I think that would solve it.

Three: If we all need a few days to unlock decks or make decks that is cool with me. We need to get more people in here anyways and I suppose a start date a few days after the dlc hits should be fine.

So what do you think, Swiss or League? How does challonge handle leagues? I think a league with random pairings allows us to keep the tourny moving faster if we can retroatively add some back scores.
If you want do a round robin tournament it might keep things moving I suppose.  You can still use a Swiss point system.  It would look like this:

challonge.com/dotpipad4

So effectively all pairs are set from the outset.  Note that it would mean 19 rounds if we have 20 participants.  Query whether this is too much for people.

Re Challonge, if you are registered I will give you admin rights so you can run it (let me know your username).  You can also start a new bracket  if you prefer of course.  It is pretty easy.  Otherwise I can track match results and you can keep track of what decks people have used.

Re decks, I would be inclined to stick with same DLC decks for the match (so basically you play 1 DLC and 1 non-DLC per patch), but happy to do whatever you think best.

Edit @ Shin - normally in Swiss a bye is scored as a win (so effectively you do not loose because your opponent did not show).  So my suggestion would be 1 per game win, 1 per match win, 3 per bye.  How to decide when a bye is appropriate is a Q for Killa.
Hey Killa, in the previous Steam Tournament Wizards_Sean gave a tie for a match that could not be played but both participants posted in the forums an attempt to schedule while giving a loss to someone who did not respond to requests to work-out a time during the timeframe available. This Swiss format was 3 points per round win, 0 points for round loss, and 1 point for a round tie (unable to schedule).  
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Those who break the rules are considered scum; but those who would betray and abandon even one of their friends, are worst than scum(Kakashi Hatake/Originally Obito Uchiha/Tobi).
lawsy2003 pinoymtg / eastern standard time / CL DP ED GG OD

How do we know who gets to play the dlc deck on the first game of the match?

I agree with the draw only if both respond here but still could not meet up and a loss to whoever doesn't respond within the time frame allotted.

Note: I changed my deck list 
lawsy2003 pinoymtg / eastern standard time / AW DP ED GG OD

How do we know who gets to play the dlc deck on the first game of the match?

I agree with the draw only if both respond here but still could not meet up and a loss to whoever doesn't respond within the time frame allotted. 

I would say 72 hours (3 days) to at least make an effort to setup a match is not too much to ask. Otherwise we end up with tournaments like #2 where you play 1 game a week.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Well I wasn't going to play in the next Tourney cause of how terrible/unlucky I am... But what the heck, it was fun.

Squinter -- GC ID: Squinter -- TZ: AUS Eastern (GMT +10) -- Deck Choices: PK, PI, OD, GG, CW
I'll address all the comments after work tonight and update the OP but I just wanted to say, a dlc deck with only the promo cards unlocked is not going to really beat a fully trimmed goblin or liliana deck IMHO. It can be done but it will be difficult. So I suppose we set this tournament for 1 week after the dlc so that people can at least unlock a few cardsb  and trim their decks a bit.
Im in. 

Miguel Exe -- GC ID: Miguel_Exe -- TZ: Central México GMT -6 -- NO DLC decks: Goblins, Peacekeepers, crosswinds, celestial light and the black's Liliana Deck. 
Final Fantasy VII Sign By Miguel_Exe, =33
Shin, that tie scenarios sounds fine to me as it keeps the tournament moving...

I'm lenient, if we have to wait an extra day for a round to finish that is fine but yeah, I'd prefer the torunament moves, so really, if you can't give up two hours a week to play magic don't enlist in it

Lawsy, the simplest way is that whoever is on top of the Challonge bracket in your matchup uses dlc first.

Thornbloom, I think we need to use a different dlc round three, not the two played in games 1 and 2 simple because whoever uses DLC first is at a disadvantage to who gets to play their dlc second knowing they will meet it in round 3. Also, if you want to handle the challonge stuff that is fine and I will watch the decks here and consolidate scores by round into the opening post as I see them to make that eas job much easier...
For those looking to record their matches, www.airserverapp.com/en/Download" title="www.airserverapp.com/en/Download">AirServer has just released an updated version that allows 1080p mirroring. I've never used it, so I can't say how well it works, but 1080p is pretty sweet.
For those looking to record their matches, www.airserverapp.com/en/Download" title="www.airserverapp.com/en/Download">AirServer has just released an updated version that allows 1080p mirroring. I've never used it, so I can't say how well it works, but 1080p is pretty sweet.

al

I don't see anything on that site about recording stuff. That only mentions streaming.

Reflection does work, even if its a bit buggy at times.
I paid to unlock all the decks so I am ready whenever. But let me know when you all think you want to start?

We can wait a couple more days to try to get a few more people or go whenever. I'm flexible and by Monday my work schedule will be back to normal!
I paid to unlock all the decks so I am ready whenever. But let me know when you all think you want to start?

We can wait a couple more days to try to get a few more people or go whenever. I'm flexible and by Monday my work schedule will be back to normal!

I will most likely need a few more days as I maybe can average 1 deck unlocked per day including yesterday.  Was doing double duty unlocking 1 deck for the Steam 2HG tournament but looks like I've got a bye week until Tuesday so this gives me time to focus on the iPad decks.

Thanks for all your hard work everyone! Hopefully we can enjoy the diversity in this one with the format especially since we couldn't even finish #2 LOL   
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White

I will most likely need a few more days as I maybe can average 1 deck unlocked per day including yesterday.  Was doing double duty unlocking 1 deck for the Steam 2HG tournament but looks like I've got a bye week until Tuesday so this gives me time to focus on the iPad decks.

Thanks for all your hard work everyone! Hopefully we can enjoy the diversity in this one with the format especially since we couldn't even finish #2 LOL   

Would Monday be a good start time for people? Or the middle of next week? Just remember that we are trying to play 2 matches a week so you really only need 1-2 decks with a significant hunk of cards unlocked to be competitive to start....

Would Monday be a good start time for people? Or the middle of next week? Just remember that we are trying to play 2 matches a week so you really only need 1-2 decks with a significant hunk of cards unlocked to be competitive to start....

Monday sounds good for me
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm in.  GCID Schwabadoobie.  Will figure out and post deck choices this weekend after playing the new ones a bit more. 
So does this mean we're starting around Monday or Tuesday?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
So does this mean we're starting around Monday or Tuesday?

Billy hasn't had time to play with any of the new decks yet, so I think he'll have to sit out this one.  I have two unlocked and hopefully almost a third by tonight, so I can be ready by Monday or Tuesday whichever works for everyone else.

Paul

GCID:  psmoore   
I am going to bow out of this tournament before it starts.
Psmooore4 and thorn are out and Shwab is in. If you are signed up and still want to play check in here and I will get the first round up tomorrow with a challonge and edit the first post... I just want to make sure everyone is still in before doing this as there doesn't seem to be much interest in this tournament.

I'm still game if everyone else is
Psmooore4 and thorn are out and Shwab is in. If you are signed up and still want to play check in here and I will get the first round up tomorrow with a challonge and edit the first post... I just want to make sure everyone is still in before doing this as there doesn't seem to be much interest in this tournament.

I'm still game if everyone else is

I'm in as well if everyone else is still playing.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm still in.  I've gotten 3 of the 5 unlocked and working on the others.  I like all the new decks I've played with so far.  Can't wait to see how they play against real people. 
I'll still play, even though it looks kind of barren on the homepage.
I'll still play

I'm still in. Unlocked all decks
Sweet, looks like 8 people exactly.......I'll set it up tonight during the football game
1) Schwab, you need to post your 5 non-dlc deck choices.

2) I made a round robin since we only have 8 players. Everyone plays each person once and then the top 2 players can compete for the top spot...

3) I supopose we can complete rounds early to speed up the process but just remember if you complete 4 rounds before your opponent competes some he will know your deck going in (giving him an advantage).

Good luck everybody
1) Schwab, you need to post your 5 non-dlc deck choices.

2) I made a round robin since we only have 8 players. Everyone plays each person once and then the top 2 players can compete for the top spot...

3) I supopose we can complete rounds early to speed up the process but just remember if you complete 4 rounds before your opponent competes some he will know your deck going in (giving him an advantage).

Good luck everybody

Actually I was thinking about it and there are times you may or may not know your opponent's deck based on the amount of rounds played since an additional DLC deck you haven't played must be used for a tied round 3 before you can use another. But everyone is in the same boat so no big deal :p
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Hey, sorry for slow reply.  At work now and will post deck choices when I get back home tonite, def GG, AW, CW and need to figure out 2 more.  when do we start?
Hey, sorry for slow reply.  At work now and will post deck choices when I get back home tonite, def GG, AW, CW and need to figure out 2 more.  when do we start?

We are go for launch....me and you are up first, so let me know when a good time for you is....I don't have work again until thursday afternoon....
Nice Killa!  I'm off tomm and def available to play our matches.  USA, eastern time zone here, how about yourself?  Any time after 9am is fine for me, even tonite after 10PM(EST).
Nice Killa!  I'm off tomm and def available to play our matches.  USA, eastern time zone here, how about yourself?  Any time after 9am is fine for me, even tonite after 10PM(EST).

I'm eastern time too and after 10pm should work for me as well.
Is there a schedule/chart that outlines the matchups and what decks we are going to be playing?
Is there a schedule/chart that outlines the matchups and what decks we are going to be playing?

In this first round against me it goes like this:

match 1 : I play dlc you play non-dlc
match 2: you play dlc I play non dlc
match 3 (if necessary) we play dlc vs dlc (different than the dlc we played in match one and two).

Miguel_Exe I have sent you a friend request in game center so we can play our match. Evenings/night work best for me for the next few days from around 8:30 to about 11 P.M. Eastern. Let me know if this works for you so I know when to look for an invite or send one.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
sigh...Miguel_Exe: Please read the tournament rules before playing games. The top bracket picks a DLC deck first then the other player a non-dlc deck for the first match. You picked a DLC deck on my invite so I just played it out as a friendly match and reanimated a creature to kill myself. Please make sure you know what the format is before you send me an invite to begin our round...
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White