A Hairless Thoctar contest; Alara, Part 5: Epicists

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
We near the end of the first cycle
Lisha
Crucius
The Bone Heaps
The Shriek of Flame

Now we venture into the steamy jungles of Naya to learn the way of Cylia's Epicists

"Based on information of the Godtrackers, these elves write epic poetry that records the behavior and battles of the gargantuans. This information helps the Anima and druids better cull the signs and therefore better understand Progenitus, Soul of the World.
The elves see the humans as spiritual infants and are willing to help keep them from egtting squished by the gargantuans, but they're not so sharing wit the Nacatl. They would prefer the Nacatl stay in the mountains and stop wandering in the lowlands."

Design a card for these brave guys and gals.

DESIGN RULES
1. Design a card depicting the epicists or their actions.
2. If you design a creature, it needs to be an elf.
3. The creature must be green. It can be other colors.
4. You are not restricted to Naya colors. You may use black and blue should you so desire (but you better have a damned good reason to.)
5. It should involve the behemoths of Alara in some way (ie, creatures with power 5 or greater)

CONTEST RULES
1. You have two days.
2. You may enter once.
3. You may alter your entry as much as you wish before the deadline.

Good luck and have fun.
Epicist Call -- :RM::GM::GM::WM:
Sorcery (U)

Put a 5/5 red, green and whte beast creature token with trample on the battlefield. Then, populate.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Book of Epics
Artifact
Whenever a creature you control of power 5 or greater dies, exile it.
, sacrifice Book of Epics: return all creatures exiled by Book of Epics to the battlefield under your control, they gain haste. Exile them at the beginning of the next end step.
In the writings the goliath's are preserved, and in the readings they are unleashed.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Epicist Lyrics

Enchantment
Whenever a creature you control with power 5 or greater attacks or blocks, put a verse counter on Epicist Lyrics.
Remove X verse counters from Epicist Lyrics: Search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost X or less and power 5 or greater and put it onto the battlefield.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Cylia Epicist

Creature - Elf Advisor

~ has "Protection from everything" if it is all five colours.
Whenever a creature with power 5 or greater attacks, put a +2/+2 counter on ~ and it gains a colour in addition to its others.

By studying the large Gargantuan beasts, they hope to learn of the biggest beast of them all.

2/2
Marveling Epicist

Creature – Elf Scout (R)
1/1

Whenever a creature with power 5 or greater enters the battlefield under your control, you may draw two cards.

She sees a song in every distant silhouette, a tale in every bush trampled underfoot. 

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Inspired Epicist -
Creature - Elf Shaman
As long as you control a creature with power 5 or greater, ~ is indestructible and has ": Target creature becomes indestructible until end of turn."
1/2 
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Cylia's Epicists 
Creature - Elf Druid Shaman
When Cylia's Epicists enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a creature card with power 5 or greater, reveal it, then shuffle your library and put that card on top of it.
3/3
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Epicist's Tale

Creatures with power 5 or greater are indestructible and have vigilance.

: Target creature with power 5 or greater gets +1/+0 until EOT.

The tales become greater with every telling.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Epicist's Tale

Creatures with power 5 or greater are indestructible and have vigilance.

: Target creature with power 5 or greater gets +1/+0 until EOT.

The tales become greater with every telling.

(pssst something something)
worship the horn
Beastbringer
Creature - Elf Shaman
: Add to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast creature spells with power 5 or greater.

1/1

Meh. I will probably change that because it is ugly.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Book of Epics

Enchantment
Rare
Whenever a creature with power 5 or greater you control deals combat damage, put a verse counter on Book of Epics.
, Remove a verse counter from Book of Epics: Draw a card.
ENTRY PERIOD IS OVER

VOTING BEGINS NOW

Rules
1. You have 2 days
2. You get 1 vote
3. You can't vote for yourself
4. You can vote if you didn't participate

Aw, shucks. I forgot to edit. Oh well. Let me ponder for a moment who I shall vote for. I will return.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
4 cards stood out for me, from CKY, Confused, magicpablo and HT,

CKY's card I really like but can't stop comparing with Drumhunter.  It blows it out of the water.  i think having to sacrifice for cost (when power 5 EtB) would have been much more balanced.

ConfusedAsUsual's card is well design and has a nice activated ability, working really well with the big beasts.

pablo's card is really simple but well done.  I'd say it's my favourite.  Problem is the flavor, which doesn't strongly match the criteria like the other cards do.

Then HairlessThoctar's card's is well done and an awesome match for the contest.  I think it is a bit weak though, due to the casting cost and the dealing damage condition.

My vote goes to ConfusedAsUsual.
worship the horn
I dunno - when you compare Chinkeeyong's card to something like Cream of the Crop it doesn't seem so crazy. Of course, compared to Mighty Emergence it does seem krazy. I do like the flavour text quite a bit.

Huh. It gets my vote.

139359831 wrote:
I have no idea why you guys are comparing my one-drop to cards like Mighty Emergence and Drumhunter, they fit into completely different roles and play styles.

Voting for vlord. The ascension into Progenitus is cute.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Sorry for making this a 4-way tie but two submissions stood out for me; CKY's and magicpablo666's - of those, magicpablo's was my favourite, but only fractionally over CKY.

In fact, if I could divide my point, I would say: 3/8th of point to CKY and 5/8th of a point to magicpablo. But I doubt that's allowed.
I vote for Hariless' entry.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

VOTING PERIOD IS OVER.

Considering that only 5 people voted, it's a 5 way tie.  
Congrats to myself, MagicPablo, CKY, Confused as Usual and Vlord.

I'll render my judge's vote shortly.

I'm actually a bit bummed. Where the hell is everyone this week?

Is the theme starting to wear thin? I'm genuinely curious about the low turnout this round? 

I didn't know what was going on until it was too late. I'll watch out for the next one! Also, community voting tends to not work out that great IMHE.
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
@Altimis
Fun card. Not sure that much beef is appropriate at uncommon, especially given the soon-to-be-printing of Armada Wurm.

@Dr Demento
I love it. This certainly feels epic to me.

@Tevish
Seems fine. I do love a good verse counter. My biggest complaint is that it's just going to be so dang much work to get to the payoff for this. I suppose that comes with the territory though...

@Vlord
 Seeing +2/+2 counters again made me wince a little. Otherwise this is positively adorable.

@CKY
Love it. I feel like it could afford to enable fatties more, like possibly being a mana dork (for fatties only) in addition to what it already does, but that might be pushing it. This alone is incredibly enticing (to me personally at least).

@Sebanovich
I see what you did there. Though given the precedent set by Fierce Empath, could probably be mono-colored and still work.

@Bay_Falconer
Yeowza, that's a beating. Seeing one of the side colors get an activated ability, but not the other perturbs me somewhat, but I can't think of anything that doesn't feel forced.

@MagicPablo
Given Naya's three coloredness, this only tapping for green feels incredibly unnatural.

JUDGE'S VOTE

Third place, +10 BRAGGING RIGHTS
Cylia's Epicst. 

Second place, +20 BRAGGING RIGHTS
 CKY. 

First place, +30 BRAGGING RIGHTS
Dr. Demento       

Congratulations to our winners, and thank you all for participating.   
Aww, I got no commentz?
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Yeah, I was looking through things you could use. A lot of them (first strike, deathtouch) seemed irrelevant. Flying's too blue, and lifelink's too black. Trample was "anything this big should have trample to begin with". Double strike (and lifelink, for that matter) were a bit broken on a fatty. So I decided on vigilance, indestructible, and firebreathing. Or pseudo-firebreathing, since it interacts poorly with shroud.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt