[RTR-ICD] Golgari Longlegs

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Golgari Longlegs - 3(b/g)(b/g)
Creature - Insect (C)
5/4
Vanilla crap yay.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Not even Reach?
A giant daddy longlegs...I think I'll have nightmares about this card for a long, long time.
It's not a spider? Flavorfail.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Such a good name. I don't want it to be a spider. People would be like, why doesn't it have reach? Insect works for me.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.

Could be an Opiliones?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiliones
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.
Vanilla meh.
I thought green was above Spined Wurm and decided to throw it to red. I guess you can pay black mana for it though, which makes it better than Zombie Goliath.
i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/daygl0...

Better than Mass of Ghouls. Not awful in limited, and I like the art.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

yawn.
Should be a spider with reach.
Should be a spider with reach.

Not all spiders have to have reach, but something flavorfully spiderish seems appropriate like can tap creatures with venom when it blocks or etc.

Remember this is hybrid, so could play it in black.  Spider spawning tribal? 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
slender man has his own card now, apparently
IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/hB3M2.gif)

This. Me is sad.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
I thought green was above Spined Wurm and decided to throw it to red. I guess you can pay black mana for it though, which makes it better than Zombie Goliath.

Except Fire Elemental has existed since Alpha, so green wasn't giving anything to red. If anything red has given green haste.
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.
Interesting how all arachnids other than spiders or scorpions have creature type "insect", not to mention centipedes as well. Apparently "insect" is being used as a catch-all type for arthropods which are not spiders, scorpions, crabs, or lobster people. Sort of how "beast" is being used for large mammals or dinosaur-like creatures which don't have an obvious real-world counterpart or a commonly used type like cat, bear, elephant, wolf, horse, goat, etc.

The problem with this approach, though, is that while "beast" is a very generic term, "insect" is not. It has a very specific meaning which does not cover things like this, assuming it's meant to be an opiliones (aka daddy longlegs or harvestman) and not just something made up. The term they probably should be using is "bug". (Yes, I know that technically "bug" refers to a specific sub-group of insects. But most people don't use the term that way.)

Though what's even more bizarre is that even though it's probably not a spider, it towers over the city like a towering indrik so for flavor reasons it probably *should* have reach anyway. WotC can be weird sometimes.
The card is more than fine for limited. A 5/4 body rounds up a deck nicely. Being hybrid makes it even better.
Wonders why this isn't a spider like a daddy longlegs is.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Wonders why this isn't a spider like a daddy longlegs is.

Daddy longlegs are harvestmen, which are distinct from spiders.

They're not insects, either, but "Insect" seems to be a catchall for all obscure arthropod types, like solifuges.

EDIT: Potato Dragon already covered this.
It's always sad to see boring filler like this with interesting sounding names or cool art. I'd like to fix this card by adding:

: ~ gains reach until end of turn
: Until end of turn, ~ can't be blocked except by two or more creatures
It's always sad to see boring filler like this with interesting sounding names or cool art. 

I'd disagree. Boring filler cards like this needs to exist, so they might as well zest them up by giving them interesting sounding names or cool art.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
It's always sad to see boring filler like this with interesting sounding names or cool art. I'd like to fix this card by adding:

: ~ gains reach until end of turn
: Until end of turn, ~ can't be blocked except by two or more creatures

Yes, so we can then complain about powercreep..........

Now if only it were as powerful.
Took most of these out of my Golgari intro deck right away.
Am I the only one reminded of the striders from half life 2? and if you look in the corner of the art, the people have mushrooms on them.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Pain is a sensation. Sensations are to be enjoyed. I am in ecstasy.
it almost looks as if the darn thing has a seat or something on it

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
it almost looks as if the darn thing has a seat or something on it

Ohmygod, Magic now has silt striders? :000000

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.