[RTR-ICD] Deathrite Shaman

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
Deathrite Shaman ()
Creature - Elf Shaman (R)
: Exile target land card from a graveyard. Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
, : Exile target instant or sorcery card from a graveyard. Each opponent loses 2 life.
, : Exile target creature card from a graveyard. You gain 2 life.
1/2

Woooooow this seems insanely good. Especially since the exile parts are after the colons, which means you can still use the abilities even when the graveyards are empty.

Seeme we got a strictly better Birds of Paradise here!

EDIT: Bah I was wrong, still not that bad I guess.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
"Target" means you can't use them if the graveyard is empty.
I was about to post about its casting cost, but i guess it was a mistake and you corrected it. 
But  this certainly is no birds of paradise. 
"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Proud member of the Rakdos guild
No you can't use it when the graveyard is empty since you need a valid target
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Holy crap that's good. Oh wait you have to exile stuff to add mana nvm it sucks.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

It's also certainly not strictly better than BoP, are you nuts?  There's no guarantee that this thing can ever produce mana in a given game.

That being said, the card is still great and I expect it'll see some play, at least perhaps in SB.
This seems pretty legit in formats with fetches. Love it.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
i know it's golgari but faithless looting.dec could show some potential too.
It can hit, take advantage of your graveyard, and nix any returning zombies/snapcaster targets. It has early, mid, and late game potential. I like. Combos well with Jarad's "sack a forest+swamp" return ability too.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

He can target the opponent's grave too.
Good card

He can target the opponent's grave too.
Good card

that certainly bring it up a notch, nice catch
Oh, I love it. Very, very good 1 drop.
A 1 drop that does some useful stuff.
I'm sure this will see some constructed play.

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Seems neat.
Outclasses Sanctuary Cat.
My novel, Mektar, Clash of Ideals, is now available for purchase! Just click this text. I have +30 bragging rights according to HairlessThoctar. Just saying.
Wish Grim Lavamancer was still in Standard. I'd make a Gruulgari deck, all about little tappers and graveyard filling.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
*Cough* Mill
+1 to main phasing grisly salvage.
Holy crap that's good. Oh wait you have to exile stuff to add mana nvm it sucks.

So, overlooking the fact that this hoses Snapcaster, Golgari, abuses the use of fetchlands even further, and much more it still sucks? Honestly, what's wrong with you?

Look at all of this guy's posts on new cards. 90% of it is asinine drivel and the other 10% is praise for the explicitly good cards. It just shows that he's closed minded and can't think even an inch outside the box.
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).

So, overlooking the fact that this hoses Snapcaster, Golgari, abuses the use of fetchlands even further, and much more it still sucks? Honestly, what's wrong with you?

Look at all of this guy's posts on new cards. 90% of it is asinine drivel and the other 10% is praise for the explicitly good cards. It just shows that he's closed minded and can't think even an inch outside the box.

This thing is possibly good I was just referring to the OP's post on that this card was a better BoP which it clearly isn't.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Seems like it'd be playable somewhere.  Graveyard hoser, and if you are using fetchlands it's basically a BoP.

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Oh this is really great and interesting.
Whoa, it says "a graveyard" and not "your graveyard". Neat!
i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/daygl0...

I love everything about this card. 

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

Well, it's a 1/2 for one mana. Too bad black gets a 2/2 for one mana with no drawback right now.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Well, it's a 1/2 for one mana. Too bad black gets a 2/2 for one mana with no drawback right now.

That is very much so a drawback.
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).
So... it basically turns itself into an anti-flashback grim lavamancer, which can also feed your life total and grant you mana for sacland usage. Also-elf shaman (may be making a weird golgari elf deck soon with glissa, the traitor and Jarad, golgari lich lord just for lolz). Need playset. Also plays nice with Jarad's recurssion ability
probably more relevant in older formats with fetches, but even then i doubt it kinda.

Modern-playable. Standard is possible.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Nice mana dork, toolbox,  finisher 
OMG A BLACK BIRD!!!! Surprised
THAT DOES OTHER STUFF SOMETIMES TOO!!!Surprised
Pretty good next to Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord, you'd have to say.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)

Not unless your opponent has a one-drop with haste.

Read again. Someone has to have a land in a graveyard, so no. Though I'm surprised it's black. Are they making mana ramp a black thing now?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Though I'm surprised it's black. Are they making mana ramp a black thing now?

It's been a long time since the last Dark Ritual reprint! D:
I always thought it was the most used black card after Terror...

Okay fastmana is not really "ramp".
It's indeed the first black cc1 mana dork I think. The others were just color fixer.
This one is a little bit difficult to abuse though. You loose much speed while discarding or destroying lands.
At least it's versatile.
Man, fetches are so good in Modern--nice 0/1 Tarmogoyf you got there. (Don't spoil my amusement by pointing out all the reasons this is silly.)
Oh yeah, Deathrite Shaman?  Take my planeswalkers, artifacts, and enchantments out of my GY... Tongue Out

This card is nuts.  Expect to see it a bunch (in all constructed formats).
This is incredible in older formats. You're already running fetchlands to make use of his first ability. And if your opponent is playing anything that uses their graveyard (and let's face it, they probably are), you get to hose them too. And with a maindeck card to boot!
if you haven't pre ordered 50 of these, your bank account is going to regret it in 4 months.  krazy.

"hay, know what the problem with birds of paradise is?"

"ummm...it's not black?  it needs +1/+1?  it doesn't swing for 2 unblockably?  it doesn't completely hose graveyard strategies?  it doesn't completely dominate multiplayer games?"

"exactly."      

Not unless your opponent has a one-drop with haste.

Read again. Someone has to have a land in a graveyard, so no. Though I'm surprised it's black. Are they making mana ramp a black thing now?

are you kidding me?

Liliana's Shade

Yes black is ramping on it's own with out green now. There is more then that out there. 
This should have been printed in Zendikar block, doesn't function without fetches, too weak to be revelent in formats where fetches are currently legal.
I love how the focus here is the mana ability as if that's the best thing this has going on...
The other two abilities more than make up for what it can't do with the first one. Removing irrelevant instant's and sorceries to ping for 2? Black has so much spot removal for this to use up for ping damage. If you stripped away every other ability and compared it to Grim Lavamancer it still holds its own and we all know Grim's reputation. Slightly different cost to the ability, easily just as relevant for its colors. Tack on to that the ability to turn chumps into life gain. This is a versatile monster. It hasn't been officially spoiled yet and is already $5 on TCGplayer...
Sign In to post comments