A few tutorial videos...

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've uploaded a few videos regarding how to to play this game... By all mean I'm no pro at this, but some might find it helpfull. Enjoy.

www.youtube.com/user/MikeLa1977?feature=...
Quick question: Did you have the commander cards laminated or are they in some kind of sleeve?
Its funny how everyone uses the term laminated... The first time I had such a thing done, I said can you laminate this for me, and the women replied: "you know thats on wood right?"... Tongue Out

But yeah, I had them plastified... I paid like 50 cents per card.
Its funny how everyone uses the term laminated... The first time I had such a thing done, I said can you laminate this for me, and the women replied: "you know thats on wood right?"... Tongue Out

But yeah, I had them plastified... I paid like 50 cents per card.

As long as the industry calls it lamination, I suspect the term "plastified" is not going to be used by everybody: www.laminatorwarehouse.com/

Thank you for the answer, nonetheless, and for putting together the videos.
Great job, Mike! Watching the videos now, good lighting and concise explanation! I'll be referring new players here.
These are a very good series of videos.

However there are a couple of corrections:

1) The indoors Drow starting zone has a thick black line along the stairs. This represents a thin wall: it does not take up any squares and does not affect movement along the wall. It does however block Line Of Sight, Line Of Effect and movement across the wall.

(LOE, if you are not sure, is used for bursts. The fireball is a good example: the caster needs LOS to the square casting it on, but then it damages all creatures within 2 squares of impact, even if the caster does not have LOS to those squares. So yes you can hit people round a corner. However, the fireball can only hurt people you have LOE to. That means there is nothing completely blocking between the impact square and the creature's square. At the moment this only refers to walls, it is debateable if you can have cover from a burst attack (hence using the different name.) So you cannot hit a creature behind a wall with a fireball (or any other bursting attacks.) LOE is not explicetly mentioned in the rulebook, but it's the easiest way to explain attacks like that. It comes from the pen and paper version of D&D.)

2) You did not cover everything regarding Obstacle Terrain (the square symbol). In addition to the movement penalty: it blocks LOS between pieces on opposite sides, it does not block LOE and pieces entirely in Blocking Terrain have cover against any ranged attacks. (That means large creatures have to have all four squares of their base in Obstacle Terrain.)

3) You asked about movement across a "Soft" corner (the outdoor walls): yes you can move diagonally across them. You can also stand in any square that has more than 3/4 of the square visible. So the diagonal walls that cover one corner of a square do not block that square from being used.

4) Cower. You said you cannot block part of an attack (say 20 points of a 30 attack) and then cower for the remaining 10, thus loosing only one morale. You actually can do that (Chris has confirmed that), what I think you are confusing it with is the instruction that you cannot split the damage between HP and Morale. This means you cannot say "I will take 10 damage to my HP from your attack and cower for the remaining 20." The only way to reduce the morale damage from cowering is using cards or abilities. (Dwarven Defender's Shield Block for example, and yes that does stack with cards.)

There are more things, but those are advanced rules. Apart from those 4 notes these are excellent videos to aid someone learning the game. I hope this helps you with your games.

As a footnote: Morale. Cormyr has one card (Behind Enemy Lines) that allows you to gain 4 Morale if you meet its condition (returning the creature to your starting zone.) As it stands right now (3 boxes released) I can think of no other card that allows you to gain Morale.
 Just had to chime in that I ejoyed the videos and thought they were pretty well done.
I appreaciate that guys... I'm no pro at the game, but tried to do my best.

I do really enjoy this game. 

3) You asked about movement across a "Soft" corner (the outdoor walls): yes you can move diagonally across them. You can also stand in any square that has more than 3/4 of the square visible. So the diagonal walls that cover one corner of a square do not block that square from being used.

So can you move diagonally around "all" corners on the outdoor map? Or only the soft corners on the outdoor map? 

Also, the trees and the doors... Everyone refers to these squares as providing cover... Is this the equivalent of it being a wall... with the exception being that you can stand in them?           

Yes all the corners on the outside maps are rounded (soft). I use the term soft as in D&D RPG the term Hard Corner is used to define when a creature has cover / can make opportunity attacks / can move, etc.

Obstacle Terrain: Any terrain with a square in it (the trees and doors for example) takes an extra point of movement to enter (like difficult terrain), blocks LOS through it it, and provides cover against ranged attacks when your creature is stood in it. Cover means you can tap to dodge the attack and is only usable against ranged attacks.

Basically, since Obstacle Terrain blocks line of sight, a ranged attacker can only ever see, at most, three corners of the square, without the LOS going through that square (Which it can't do since it's blocked).
ahh ok... essentially my question was if I am standing in obstacle terrain there is no LOS to even try and do a ranged attack correct?
Incorrect. If you are standing in obstacle terrain you can be seen, and thus fired upon, but as it blocks LOS through the square the rear corner(s) cannot be seen by the attacker meaning you have cover. The front corner(s) can still be seen which is why you are still a valid target.
Ohh ok... So fron a hidding point of view, it would be better for me to stand behind obstacle terrain I take it.

Mind you you wouldn't be able to make a ranged attack.