Tools for stopping turn 1 combos.

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
Considering how long magic has existed, it's amazing how much people rely on force of will alone to stop 1st turn combo-decks from winning. After all you have no guarantee of getting them in game 2 with force AND daze!

It's also incredible how many cards there actually are, that are capeable of stopping or stalling those turn 1 combo's.

My own current favorite is chancellor of the spires + surgical extraction, which has a lower chance of success on getting in your hand, but does it's job well enough.

mindbreaker trap is too reliant on opponents casting many spells, and can be stopped itself if opponent has stuff like pact of negation.

There has to be others out there who uses weird cards to stop turn 1 combo's, so why not share arsenals with each other

leyline of anticipation + moxes, petals and 1cc counterspells.

chancellor of the annex stopping their 1st spell.

spiritguides + manamorphose + 1-2 cc counterspells.

noxious revival and surgical extraction against reanimator, dredge and other combo.                    
Considering how long magic has existed, it's amazing how much people rely on force of will alone to stop 1st turn combo-decks from winning.

perhaps it's because every other option is unplayable
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
There's nix.
What? Poor card wants to be mentioned, at least once.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
There is also mindbreak trap..
"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Proud member of the Rakdos guild
There's nix.
What? Poor card wants to be mentioned, at least once.

so to counter 0
2 life to counter 1
and to counter 2? 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
PURPLE_SHRIMP:

You really believe ALL of them are unplayable?

I can tell you that I have had a lot of games against combo where chancellor of spires + surgical extraction has stopped their decks.

surgical extraction can even be used alone for that purpose if you know the decktype your opponent plays and play it at a lucky time!

chancellor of the spires goes well with force of will and chrome mox because you don't need it after the first initial turn and can just use it to further the goal of other cards as well.

No, I rather think people forget about stuff they don't see in use every day because it's easier to netdeck than think for themselves!

VEKTOR480:
Nix is not a bad card for something like this!

BLOODARTIST:
I mentioned mindbreak trap in my textual line 6

DR_DEMENTO:
2 life to counter 1. Is mental misstep legal in vintage? It isn't in legacy

Continuing the list:

[c]Chancellor of the annex[/c]
[c]Chancellor of the spires[/c]
[c]Force of will[/c]
[c]Leyline of anticipation[/c]
[c]Leyline of the void[/c]
[c]Leyline of sanctity[/c]

PS: What was that autocarding again?
Force of Will isn't reliable enough, so we construct turn 1 combos so that we can get lucky and get a combo if the opponent is lucky and gets a godhand, even if the cards themselves are terrible outside of this purpose?

Keep on, I foresee a bright future.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

MOWN:

You know the odds of winning without force of will on the hand?

You know the chance of getting force of will in your openinghand?

Sure, just stay with what you consider safest!

But if you really want to know what to do, take something that might work, then increase it's potential! Work with the cards, because almost all cards are horrible in themselves.

magic's full of examples.

kobolds of kher keep
phyrexian dreadnought
tendrils of agony

It's not the single cards, it's the whole of it.
Misdirection works against certain combos.
Woot! Go RED! I love red! Red is awesome! Did I mention I love red?
those personality things
Suprisingly enough, in that test, I'm not red I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Boss smileys: Come check out the Expanded Multiverse Project for great stories and a great community
quotes
56778328 wrote:
Why did you post it here? "Hey, all you guys who play this game! I'm not gonna play it!" "Umm... Ok, dude."
MOWN:

Do you know the odds of a competitive deck winning on turn 1?

Yxoque wrote:

You really believe ALL of them are unplayable?

actually I looked over your post again and at the end you mentioned using surgical extraction vs reanimator and dredge, which is reasonable if you discount the noxious revival suggestion
the rest you mentioned are unplayable, yes  

I can tell you that I have had a lot of games against combo where chancellor of spires + surgical extraction has stopped their decks.

how many have you had where you milled them for 7, cast surgical, and then ended up helping them anyway by milling your opponent in a format full of decks that use the graveyard as a resource?
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
I know.
MOWN:

Do you know the odds of a competitive deck winning on turn 1?

yeah, all legacy decks win turn 1. can't believe you didn't know that.  

Right, I forgot that format was just broken combo decks.

Yxoque wrote:

MOWN/SHADOCHU:

Nice of you two to notice that the titel sort of implicates that this is about stopping turn 1 combo, and not all sorts of other situations!

PURPLE_SHRIMP:

The chancellor of the spires is sort of random in it's effect, and sometimes it helps opponents by adding to their graveyards, other times it locks an opponent down, for example yesterday at a tourney, I just hit all the equipments that some dude using stoneforger mystic had in his deck.

I'ts why I play surgical extraction and extirpate in the deck, to rid the stuff they NEED in their deck.
And just in case, noxious revival can get it back on top of the deck if it really annoys me.

And I have fun with ensnaring bridge when all their arti-hate has been exiled.

IHSS:
I completely forgot about misdirection

In the same genre I have experimented with foil, which is really horrible and abusive, and I've tried out commandeer once or twice, but tend to think it will fit the best inside a deck with perhaps 10-12 lands and lot's of blue spells and delver of secrets and similar for the kill.
Too bad that any deck that's built to do a turn 1 kill also run 4 of Guttural response and/or 4 of pact of negation
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
MOWN/SHADOCHU:

Nice of you two to notice that the titel sort of implicates that this is about stopping turn 1 combo, and not all sorts of other situations!

My point is that they're not nearly relevant enough to severely weaken your deck for.

Yxoque wrote:

Angel's Grace will save you from Pact + Hive Mind type combos, storm, or combos designed to burn you out with one spell. It's less useful against mill or attacking creatures which just delays your death for a turn. It's got the benefit of split second as well, nullifying an opponent's Pact of Negation or Force of Will to protect their combo.
Believe it or not, there aren't many turn zero or turn one combos that are reliable/playable. Often it won't happen and if it does, the deck isn't playable in real competition.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.

PURPLE_SHRIMP:

The chancellor of the spires is sort of random in it's effect, and sometimes it helps opponents by adding to their graveyards, other times it locks an opponent down, for example yesterday at a tourney, I just hit all the equipments that some dude using stoneforger mystic had in his deck.

what was the deck? i can almost guarantee that the probability of milling all the equipments in someone's deck is far smaller than that of milling at least one card that works well in the graveyard
this is especially relevant because Stoneforge Mystic is the best example of a card that Chancellor of the Spires could conceivably work well against, and against most decks it's still going to hurt you

edit: if you're playing Chancellor of the Spires against a stoneforge-using deck, does that mean a) you're running this in the maindeck or b) you sided it in against a non-combo deck? because either is pretty hilarious  
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
I know.
PURPLE_SHRIMP:

Well I do play with 4 chancellors of the spire in main, otherwise, if I met someone with a combo-deck who started the game they would just win!

and it was an ordinary maveric deck with just 3 equipments in it!   
That Chancellor thing is WAY too situational to maindeck.  

"otherwise, if I met someone with a combo-deck who started the game they would just win!"

The chance of you playing against one is relatively slim I had always thought.  At least not large enough to maindeck against it.
REMEMBER FLUFFY, mercilessly slain by the bastard Useless Mancer
Fluffy, the cute and cuddly baloth beatstick of marshmellowy fluffyness and lolz, om-nom-noming Keeper's wicked soul; its insane, deadly amount of cuteness rips the fabric of reality to shreds, its pink, soft, round teeth dripping with honey, every breath spreading the repugnant smell of fresh flowers, this horrifying creature of destruction devastates Keeper by spreading its deadly, all-powerful fluff over the countryside, laying waste to dragon and furry bunny alike. It comes howling out of the east, an endless rattling and gnashing of teeth, a twisted grinding pull on the very fabric of reality threatening to consume body and mind alike in an endless glimmering pink torrent. Nothing is more terrible than the sun glittering on its teeth, save perhaps the light glancing off the oily tones of the sequins that cover its hotpants. Of course, there was that child who tried to eat Fluffy, mistaking him for a giant, walking piece of cotton candy. That child... is now the almighty leader of Fluffy, controlling his every move, sending him to devour the people that cross his path. And Keeper. Because we said so. Nothing can stop Fluffy's march to victory, spreading the sweet smell of strawberries where ever it lays its mighty paw. Followed by many jolly fairies singing joyful songs about Fluffy's cuddlyness, the baloth wanders the mountains of Zendikarland on a quest to share the love with Keeper, tough love that is...
Fluffy, we'll miss you friend. We'll miss you...
Siggy Siggables
56544366 wrote:
My other name consideration was "Thermodynamics of Doom!"
58271798 wrote:
Master Yumyums! Master Yumyums! I made it even more unfun! Spirited Betrayal Sorcery All lands are copies of Night of Souls' Betrayal. The legend rule doesn't apply to them. *Headsplosion*
56267956 wrote:
76064519 wrote:
If they make Mono-blue control a viable option for FNM again, I'm going to force myself to browse 4chan while listening to Hannah Montana and Justin Bieber and then I'm going to read Twilight books before I go to sleep for 1 whole week...
I already do that.
56544366 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
I NEED GRADES TO MAKE ME FEEL SPECIAL.
Use of caps lock: 9/10
58438088 wrote:
We were goddamn slowly making our way towards those **** mountains. The road was all filthy and wet, bird **** on every step and eldrazi piss raining from the sky. "So those ****tards are finally awake huh?" my idiotic companion asked. "Yep, we're in deep ****, homie." "Wazzup?" "Nothing, just pissed." My companion looked to the sky. A drop of the eldrazi urine fell right in his eye. "Oh, man. Now I'm pissed too." As we were moving on, we were looking around on the innocent nature. Two baloths were doing it on the road so we had to make a little detour. The pools of piss were kinda unpleasant but at least it was warm so we had no trouble at night. "One gets used to piss running down your face you know." said my companion. "F'shizzle." answered I stoicly and kicked two rabbits, who were doing nasty things to each other's ass, in the ass. "Man one can't take a spit here without hitting some shamming animals." "Word. Zendikar sucks. Hope the eldrazi contribute a little to the population regulation." As my companion said that, a gigantic, 20 meters tall eldrazi slithered by. On it's arms and tentacles were remains of birds, rabbits, baloths, angels, planeswalkers, dragons, krakens and a few cities. We stood up and clapped loudly. "A few bitches less." (People don't get banned for such posts do they?)
58021268 wrote:
Am I the only one? Looking over the recent threads debating the merits of "Belgium," the various ideas to "fix" England and other topics which concern European nations, I'm struck by how much I don't care what happens. Britain and Spain are, to me, completely inaccessible due to the Atlantic Ocean, not to mention volcanoes and socialism. I sound like I'm bashing European nations, and I guess I kind of am. If you enjoy living in France, Luxembourg, Poland or any other, older nation, that's fantastic. I just don't see why there's such a huge uproar about a volcano that is mostly affecting a niche group of people.
57008088 wrote:
57036138 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57052258 wrote:
Hell, I don't even like that they printed Pillarfield Ox
I'm real happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but pillarfield ox has one of the best pieces of art of all time. Of all time.
Really? I don't really see the greatness.
It's an Ox. In a PILLARFIELD. That's like, a field of frickin' PILLARS, but to this Ox it just looks like an ordinary field of grass - because he is so BADASS.
56916508 wrote:
Finally, Master Yumyums just had probably the most boring, worthless card in the entire contest. Why would you need to give creatures -1/-0 on your turn? To beat them down with your nonflying blue aggro deck that plays a bad win condition card to win (and if you are playing the critters, why aren't you winning with them?!)? And the win condition itself is so mindblowingly difficult it seems like it was only made simply to fit the criteria.
Derivative Radial Tangent Calculation of Pure, Absolute, Utmost, Uncontestable and Utter Doom Newton's Second Law of Equations As an additional calculation to add to ~, reveal a Mathematical Equation from your hand, with a converted mana casting cost equal to a Prime Number. (Prime numbers are 2, 3, 5, 7, 11 13, 17...) ~ costs ƒ(x) = Σπ(δƒ(u)-ƒ(x)) if you're a fan of René Descartes in Facebook. ~ deals X damage to each creature your opponents control within a radius of X KM from ~, where X is the revealed Equation's converted mana cost. ~ deals Y damages to target player, where Y is the area of the Sphere (using the first 50 digits of pi as pi). ~ deals Z less damage, where Z is the distance in Lightyears from the centerpoint of the Sphere. Add up X, Y and Z and round it up to the closest number. Multiply the damage ~ would deal by m, where m is the number of multiples of that number. Calculate the first 50 Fibonaci numbers: Deal the difference between the 25-50th numbers, and the first 25 numbers. As long as the angular acceleration of an object t approaches maximum velocity relative to the cross product of a vector n and its bisector as the object passes through point Q at vector n's convergence in zero gravity, Disastrous Radial Tangent Calculation can't be countered. As long as you can do a geometric proof of anything on this card, target opponent must be doing one. Otherwise, he or she loses the game. (both games. you just lost the game.)
My favourite way to win against a deck that wins turn 1 is to do a rematch.
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
You could even stop their combo by beating them to the punch with your own!
PURPLE_SHRIMP:

Well I do play with 4 chancellors of the spire in main, otherwise, if I met someone with a combo-deck who started the game they would just win!

and it was an ordinary maveric deck with just 3 equipments in it!   

by my count there is a 0.001% chance of successfully milling all three of the equipments in a player's deck with a single Chancellor of the Spires. however, to be fair, it would be useful to hit even one equipment (or more), of which there is about a 31.5% chance - so not all that bad.

on the other hand, Maverick is a deck that plays Scavenging Ooze and Knight of the Reliquary. I won't calculate the chance of milling at least one creature and/or land with Chancellor of the Spires, but I think you can work out the order of magnitude by yourself.
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
I know.

Right, I forgot that format was just broken combo decks.

Like using Instant Revivalto summonhigh cast creatures with only half the mana needed. Just needs a way to discard.
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.
Like using Instant Revivalto summonhigh cast creatures with only half the mana needed. Just needs a way to discard.

Not, not like that.
Not at all.

Yxoque wrote:

Not, not like that.
Not at all.

Too Broken? (>'-')>
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.
I generally mention Foil; it's not nearly as efficient as Force of Will, but it's easily available, and it's an obvious choice, I think, although there are many better alternatives to Force of Will, such as those mentioned earlier in the thread.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

A few decks have started using surgical extraction or extirpate in the sideboard, so why not using the chancellor also?

The deck I use has a simple gameplan:
1: Break up any combo from the beginning.
2: Stop any creatures from hitting by getting their artifact removal and playing ensnaring bridge.

The mainproblem for the design is when the deck faces someone with 1/1's
since the deck often strands with counterspells in my hand. Using the 14 counterspells from canadian ugr it takes some timing to avoid getting hit, but chrome mox and force of will does get rid of the chancellors most of the time.

PURPLE_SHRIMP:
If I play 4 serum powder and 4 chancellor of the spires, how are the odds of getting three equipments from the beginning of the game? 

PURPLE_SHRIMP:
If I play 4 serum powder and 4 chancellor of the spires, how are the odds of getting three equipments from the beginning of the game? 

dunno and I don't really want to work that out, but they'd still be pretty abysmal

even if you get the "dream" scenario of all four Chancellor of the Spires in your opening hand (which is incredibly unlikely with or without serum powder), there's still only about a 9.6% chance of all three equipment being in the top 28 cards of the library, and it falls off sharply as you get less Chancellors
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
I know.
PURPLE_SHRIMP:

Well, since there's the exact same chance of three stoneforgers to "fall" out of the deck the two 9% chances are mixed together, and since it's more common to see 3 stoneforgers than 4 in a modern version of mystic decks, then it's starting to have a direct "before the game" impact!

What will 9%+9% be in total % ???

Also, since the basis of the deck can be used on almost any deck where cards work together, this will be able to affect the deck in almost any instance where two cards work together. If I don't get the mystic+3 equip, there's always the chance that I get daze or force of will, and can take the advantage of this and force away the devious combo with that instead.
Are there any combos that don't target the opponent to win?  If no, then what about Leyline of Sanctity?

As for the discussion about so many graveyard-reliant decks, what about Leyline of the Void

While neither are perfect, I would think that (if in your opening hand) they might work.  Granted, running enough to ensure they are in that opening hand means that many will be nothing but dead draws later on in the game.

Still, those are the only thoughts I have.

I haven't faced the potential of a first-turn combo in over a decade, so my practice with evading it is low.  My suggestions may even be disproved through the practical experience of others.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Are there any combos that don't target the opponent to win?  If no, then what about Leyline of Sanctity?

As for the discussion about so many graveyard-reliant decks, what about Leyline of the Void

While neither are perfect, I would think that (if in your opening hand) they might work.  Granted, running enough to ensure they are in that opening hand means that many will be nothing but dead draws later on in the game.

Still, those are the only thoughts I have.

I haven't faced the potential of a first-turn combo in over a decade, so my practice with evading it is low.  My suggestions may even be disproved through the practical experience of others.

Cheers!

Rest assured, some of the Leylines are being used in sideboards
KRICHAIUSHII:

When past magic-decks have had dead cards in their hand, the solution has always been to make the dead cards usefull.

Force of will, will be usefull with the chancellor, and something similar could be done with the other cards. Mainly chrome mox will fit this concept wonderfully.

MOIMOI:

By now you should know that I love to think in reverse!

Combo is the least threat in a game, which is why most people tend so sideboard against it!

I however mean to freaking kill combo whenever i meet it to punish it's very pressence and individually force it out of the meta right then and there, an effort I find to outweigh my losses against non-combo decks. I'd rather lose to a kid theme-weenie than to a combo-deck.

So if by chance I get past the kid, I get to punish that no good combo-player.

And I haven't forgot that you never took up the wicked's weird decks vs MOIMOI's charbelcher-deck.

And that sort of tells all of the story! 
KRICHAIUSHII:

When past magic-decks have had dead cards in their hand, the solution has always been to make the dead cards usefull.

Force of will, will be usefull with the chancellor, and something similar could be done with the other cards. Mainly chrome mox will fit this concept wonderfully.

MOIMOI:

By now you should know that I love to think in reverse!

Combo is the least threat in a game, which is why most people tend so sideboard against it!

I however mean to freaking kill combo whenever i meet it to punish it's very pressence and individually force it out of the meta right then and there, an effort I find to outweigh my losses against non-combo decks. I'd rather lose to a kid theme-weenie than to a combo-deck.

So if by chance I get past the kid, I get to punish that no good combo-player.

And I haven't forgot that you never took up the wicked's weird decks vs MOIMOI's charbelcher-deck.

And that sort of tells all of the story! 

Do you remember the reason? You had the full decklist before you started making your deck, let alone that I have no idea why you quoted me here and wrote all that nonsense.

MOIMOI:

Let me refresh your memory.

I posted several ways to run a competition between us, the main way was to have an impartial judge
(DILLEUX_LEPAIRE was impartial at that era) to play our decks out against each other after each of us had sent a single deck to him. It was several times stated that I would use 1 of 8 decks that I had previously discussed in the forums. You had ample opportunities to search those out, and noone stopped you from posting him your charbelcher-deck, since you were allowed to use any mainstream deck in legacy you chose to.

I often quote you and our past clashes out of neccesarity, because peoples oppinions cary weight, and your oppinion towards me tend to be rather hostile, and thus weigh down my claims in conversation. I tend to neutralize your oppinion by being me
Maybe I'm just weird, but I always thought Swords to Plowshares, Lightning Bolt and Force Spike were the answers to t1 Hypnotic Specter (I always forget if there was ever a 1 mana Plummet)
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
MOIMOI:

Let me refresh your memory.

I posted several ways to run a competition between us, the main way was to have an impartial judge
(DILLEUX_LEPAIRE was impartial at that era) to play our decks out against each other after each of us had sent a single deck to him. It was several times stated that I would use 1 of 8 decks that I had previously discussed in the forums. You had ample opportunities to search those out, and noone stopped you from posting him your charbelcher-deck, since you were allowed to use any mainstream deck in legacy you chose to.

I often quote you and our past clashes out of neccesarity, because peoples oppinions cary weight, and your oppinion towards me tend to be rather hostile, and thus weigh down my claims in conversation. I tend to neutralize your oppinion by being me

I also stated that it wouldnt prove that your idea worked and that I couldnt let chance decide whether or not your crackpot theories were right. Let alone that dilleux hardly ever was impartial at that era, I couldnt stand him back then, I still cant stand him now, just like you

But if you want to try to play this "hey remember", do you remember when you claimed that your "legacy" deck could win on turn 4 when it could deal at MOST 18 damage at turn 4, given that you had the perfect hand, given that the opponent didnt do a single thing, like doom blade ing a single of your creatures....
At the time where turn 1 hypnotic specter was a threath swords of plowshares was perhaps not so good a choice since it generally takes more than 4 threath removers. It lately seems to have set on 5"swords" (1 path) so decks would have had to be RW RR or UU to stop hypnotic.
Maybe I'm just weird, but I always thought Swords to Plowshares, Lightning Bolt and Force Spike were the answers to t1 Hypnotic Specter (I always forget if there was ever a 1 mana Plummet)

Force of Will if you go second.

There's no one-mana Plummet, but how about we combine the downside of Plummet with the downside of Lightning Bolt? Leaf Arrow.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt