[RTR-ICD] Search the City

109 posts / 0 new
Last post
Worst card in the set?

I'm a jank combo nut and I can't even get excited about this.

This is, like, worse than One With Nothing

*Sigh*

Was expecting a ramp spell when I saw the thread title. lol
Yeah, this is pretty damn weird. This must have been the "time walk" MaRo was talking about in the set. I just don't understand anything about this card.

From a flavor perspective, it's not like you're really searching for anything. Just sort of getting stuff for doing stuff? How sad this is a rare slot.
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL
I wonder how to combo with this card, maybe lots of 0 cc cards?
if I hit too much land with this, I will take much longer to get all five cards, maybe good if I use something like Azusa? 
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
Personally not a fan, but every card will have its fans, and this is no exception. 
Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.
I kinda like it
proud member of the 2011 community team

*Sigh*

One With Nothing does something (usually not useful) for cheap.

This does nothing (never useful) for a premium price.

I honestly cannot imagine a situation were this actually works.
This is certainly an interesting card.  Not very good per say but it could be fun to mess around with in casual games.
Worst card in the set?

It's not TOTALLY awful, it gets you plenty of card advantage and note that playing lands counts towards it. Then you get a turn to cast all that free stuff you got. Okay, it's pretty hard to pull off, and will not happen in constructed.

On the other hand, it's an EDH staple. 
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
While I do not think that this is playable for tournaments (and especially not in draft/sealed), it is a fun, risky, "will he draw the final card he exiled???" type of card. Great flavor, fun for kitchen tables.
Worst card in the set?

It's not TOTALLY awful, it gets you plenty of card advantage and note that playing lands counts towards it. Then you get a turn to cast all that free stuff you got. Okay, it's pretty hard to pull off, and will not happen in constructed.

You're joking, right?
I thought it was interesting that it has the phrase "play a card".
I feel like there should be a way to make this work. But I have a feeling this is going to be one of those cards that people try to break for 2 years until it finally just rotates out.
How....quirky.

If it said cast exiling a land would prevent you from ever getting your free turn.

because it counts lands and spells

also, this wants to be in a Relentless Rats deck ;)
proud member of the 2011 community team

*Sigh*

even if you wanted to discard your hand for one black mana (which is a reasonable premise admittedly) then putrid imp is massively better in several ways. not only is it a terrible card, it's a terrible design that people constantly treat as a great one, which is even more frustrating

incidentally if you're a "jank combo nut" and you can't imagine a situation where this works you might want to reconsider your psychographic profile
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.

This is to account for lands, because you don't cast lands. Same wording as cards like Intet, the Dreamer.
I might actually run this.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Worst card in the set?

You're joking, right?

No, I'm dead serious; I can get a free basic land just by playing this baby in my Tibalt EDH.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Jank.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

This card seems sweet. I mean, it's not really any good, but it's sure to be a casual staple. I love the little subgame that it creates. Should be a lot of fun to play with. Excellent design.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000) Check out Ars Arcanum, my stat based series on Magic Limited, over at PureMTGO. Here is a link to the archive: http://goo.gl/Zvh6Q
It would be sort of interesting if you played a control deck that used a lot of can trips and then like Misthollow griffin as a finisher (in case you exile it) but I doubt it would go anywhere beyond kithen table fun.
"Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties." - catowner

*Sigh*

even if you wanted to discard your hand for one black mana (which is a reasonable premise admittedly) then putrid imp is massively better in several ways. not only is it a terrible card, it's a terrible design that people constantly treat as a great one, which is even more frustrating

incidentally if you're a "jank combo nut" and you can't imagine a situation where this works you might want to reconsider your psychographic profile

Any "combo" that includes this card is jumping through tons of silly hoops...for a Time Warp.

There's no reason to play this. Ever. Like, if you live the dream and the five cards you exile are the next five cards you play...you get a time warp on turn 11. WHOOPEE! and even that is exceedingly unlikely.
I love this.

Favourite card so far. I'm so glad y'all hate it. I'm ordering 6. Four for Standard and two for EDH.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
It kinda reminds me of a side event in a Final Fantasy game.

For that reason alone, I can get behind this card.
Worst card in the set?

You're joking, right?

No, I'm dead serious; I can get a free basic land just by playing this baby in my Tibalt EDH.

YOU CAN'T EVEN DO THAT! YOU'RE KILLING ME.
Hmmmm... Might this find a home in my cantripping Dryad deck?

Seriously though, whatever this exiles, it turns to CA, and then at the end you get an extra bit of bonus. I suspect 5 mana will just put this out of range of playable, but it is a really interesting effect.

Also, I like all these cards that are big and useless in EDH. it makes me laugh on the inside. 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
I love this.

Favourite card so far. I'm so glad y'all hate it. I'm ordering 6. Four for Standard and two for EDH.

PLEASE read it again before you do something silly like play this in EDH.
There's no reason to play this. Ever. Like, if you live the dream and the five cards you exile are the next five cards you play...you get a time warp on turn 11. WHOOPEE! and even that is exceedingly unlikely.

Five mana. Five cards. That's called "efficient".
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
I love this.

PLEASE read it again before you do something silly like play this in EDH.

Oh, cute. You take my comments seriously. For future reference, don't.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.

*Sigh*

Any "combo" that includes this card is jumping through tons of silly hoops...for a Time Warp.

and five cards

PLEASE read it again

lel
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
I know.
Aw, someone already stole my EDH joke anyway. Dumb.

139359831 wrote:

You don't automatically get those cards...unless you already get them. Yeah, it's nice to get a free copy of a card when you play it, but all the stars have to align and the payoff is so measly that it will never be worth the hassle.
This card looks like a fun little minigame, but the sad truth is that if you get distracted from the actual game of Magic to try to win Search the City mode, then you will most likely end up losing that game of Magic.

For solitaire like games within Magic, I'll take a Scrambled Eggs (Second Sunrise) deck anyday.

You don't automatically get those cards...unless you already get them. Yeah, it's nice to get a free copy of a card when you play it, but all the stars have to align and the payoff is so measly that it will never be worth the hassle.

NEVER NEVER EVER NEVER

Except for when you knock a Snapcaster. Or Island. Or Think Twice. Or when you have tutor-esque effects. Or when you run counterspells.Or when Five-Cards-Five-Mana.

If only Ponder and Gitaxian Probe were still legal...
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
Or when Five-Cards-Five-Mana.

but you also get a free time warp which makes it totally overcosted
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
I know.
Fun.
but you also get a free time warp which makes it totally overcosted

Oh, I missed that. Card is jenk then. Supah jenk never gon' be no bigger jenk.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote: