Red box cleric ability help

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
New to D&D so I went out and bought the red box. Im going through the book creating my character and im at the point where I have picked my abilitys and need to put my attack modifier and damage bonus on to the spell cards that go with my cleric. I have my mace and my implement. My question is how do I know which bonus to use for which spell? Im assuming when it says melee weapon i use my mace attack bonus and otherwise use my implement attack bonus? On the other cards where it does not say melee weapon it says close burst 2 or close burst 5.

my other question is this. Attck___ (wisdom) vs will.......what is wisdom vs will mean?

thanks guys!
My question is how do I know which bonus to use for which spell? Im assuming when it says melee weapon i use my mace attack bonus and otherwise use my implement attack bonus? On the other cards where it does not say melee weapon it says close burst 2 or close burst 5.

The Weapon keyword denotes when you must use the attack with a weapon. The Implement keyword denotes when you must use the attack with an implement.

my other question is this. Attck___ (wisdom) vs will.......what is wisdom vs will mean?

When you make an attack roll with that power, you add your wisdom modifier to the attack roll, and compare the result against the target's will defense to determine hit or miss.

I don't recall the contents of the redbox right off the top of my head, but most of this stuff should be detailed in with any combat rules that came with it. Take a look and see if you can find those, as it will answer most if not all of your questions.

Happy Gaming
thanks for the help, one lasy question. Will streghth come into play at all when in battle? Does it help with damage output or it just for rolls on climing, what weapons you can hold, lifing, any action that requires a strength check?
thanks for the help, one lasy question. Will streghth come into play at all when in battle? Does it help with damage output or it just for rolls on climing, what weapons you can hold, lifing, any action that requires a strength check?

It can.

I'm not sure how the Red Box cleric differs from the standard clerics, but the melee attacks of the Player's Handbook cleric are based on Strength (which is explicitly noted in their powers).  However, Strength, like every ability score, only helps with attacks and damage when the power you're using explicitly says so.

In addition, strength is still used for athletic checks, to determine encumbrance, to determine that attack and damage of your standard melee basic attack, and as a prerequisite for a relatively small number of feats.

That said, you can easily build a cleric with no dependance on strength at all.  And typically, unless your character's attacks rely on strength, you can ignore strength with no real consequences.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
So im now reading the DM guide that came with the red box, so I now have more questions. Thanks in advance.

1) Initiative- This determines the order in which players and creatures can take there turns?
2) opportunity attack- whenever a creature or player leaves a square which is to the right or left to you? unless they use a shift move action?

1) Yup. Everyone rolls Initiative at the start of the encounter and then each creature takes its turn according to who has the highest total (d20 + initiative modifier - usually this is just your Dexterity modifier, but  different feats or magic items can increase it and powers may give temporary bonuses to it as well). Then for the rest of the encounter creatures continue taking turns in that order on their initiative count. Creatures can also reset their initiative order by delaying their turn or by readying an action to do something when a certain event occurs - doing so resets their initiative count to when their action is resolved.

2) Whenever a creature leaves any of the eight squares adjacent to you without shifting (or teleporting), you make an opportunity attack against them. This is normally a Melee Basic Attack, although there are certain feats and powers which may let you substitute other attacks for them.
 You also get an opportunity attack against a creature adjacent to you if they do something else that provokes an opportunity attack, such as using a ranged or area attack.

FYI, if you have any more questions like these, they're better posted in either the General Discussion or Rules Q&A forums.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...