Would you want Power/Conditions Cards?

My daughter got hooked on 4E because of minis/dungeon tiles and power cards.

I think I may hand draw a few cards for DnD next, but not power cards. 

Since people keep forgeting if they've used their reaction I'm going to make a card that they turn over at the start of their turn so they don't try to use a reaction every time each enemy moves. You'd think they'd remember that they just took an OA 10 seconds ago, but it seems to slip some minds.

I'm also thinking about making Condtions (including hiden) cards to help keep track of  those.

Anyone else making cards yet, and what kinds are you making?        
I'm all for people doing whatever they need to do in their home games to make things flow smoother or make it easier for new players and conveniently-forgetful players to keep track of what's going on.

That being said...

I will not purchase official cards from WotC. I found their inclusion in 4E a bit too much. The only cards I have ever used in RPGs were the spell cards from 2E, and that was only for a brief time. They can release them if they wish, and I hope they do well if they do release them, but I won't be purchasing them.   
I prefer conditions and such on the DM screen, but I could see how they'd be useful for players (i'd probably like them more if I ever got to be a freaking player but I keep ending up as the DM).
Condition cards ? Very handy.  I did used some Condition Cards until we got the Alea Tool color token set. Power cards too. I think they are handy tools that worked rather well for 4E but not necessarly for DDN, especially spells.

But a Critical Fumble deck this me can buy Wink
I don't mind the use of condition and/or power cards.  They are simply another tool to use.

I do have reservations if such cards became required for play, however.

I will drop DDN like a hot potato if WotC requires cards and then inject a CCG element where players and DMs are forced to spend money to collect the cards so they can "compete" and all that.
I support them as options, sure!

Danny

I don't necessarily need power cards, per se, but I do think it's important that all of a character's abilities, spells, class features, feats, or other mechanical bits be included on the character sheet like it is for 4e.  Nothing grounded my games to a halt faster in pre-4e games than players pulling out stacks of books, flipping thru pages to find a spell, or feat description, or magic item, etc.
I don't necessarily need power cards, per se, but I do think it's important that all of a character's abilities, spells, class features, feats, or other mechanical bits be included on the character sheet like it is for 4e.  Nothing grounded my games to a halt faster in pre-4e games than players pulling out stacks of books, flipping thru pages to find a spell, or feat description, or magic item, etc.

Some of this is due to the 'exception-based' design of 4E as well.  With every power being its own unique combination of effects - it was harder to just know what things did.  I am hoping for a more streamlined game so that it actually is possible to always know what all the players in your group can do without referring to cards or books.'

Carl
I'd rather not have cards, and I hope they won't be necessary to play the game.

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

Looks at a 1e mu spell list shakes head wishes he had cards long long ago.. didnt I see cards in the 80s?
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Looks at a 1e mu spell list shakes head wishes he had cards long long ago.. didnt I see cards in the 80s?

Yes there was, but any need to have them was pretty much superseded by those green "spell list" sheets being cheaper and photocopyable for personal use.

The 2E Decks of Spell Cards were convenient, especially for that "spell book" feel, but players lose cards, bend them, rip them, spill soda on them, and so on. My Wizard and Priest spell cards, while complete collections, are in atrocious shape. If I had had the money back then, I would've had them all laminated. At least that would've avoided some of the pizza-grease stains and unexplainable stains of various colors that I dread to guess at.
I'm going to turn this around:  Why wouldn't you want Power/ Condition cards.

I'll start.

1)  If they errata them, the cards become useless.

2)  As new spells and powers come out, you either need to keep buying them OR they become useless.

Carl
If I need them, I'll just write my own.  Often, the simple act of writing it out helps me not need the card to remember it.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
Officially as a core mechanic I have a haiku to represent my opinion;
No, No, No, No, No, 
No, No, No, No, No, No, No, 
No, No, No, No, No, 

That being said, if they make a module to support or publish some easy access cards that people like and use. Cool. Go for it. Not for me. 
There is another downside to cards:  Sifting through them to find the one you want.

If you only have several, this is not an issue, but as the count increases so does the time required to find the one you need.  Since cards tend to naturally shuffle, there is no guarantee of order as a book has.  I can see this causing players to take longer and longer.  I noticed this back when players used the Spell Cards for 2e.
The cards I want to see have artwork on them kin to magic the gathering none of this bland minimalist stuff, if they want me to buy them make them worth buying. 

Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Officially as a core mechanic I have a haiku to represent my opinion;
No, No, No, No, No, 
No, No, No, No, No, No, No, 
No, No, No, No, No, 

That being said, if they make a module to support or publish some easy access cards that people like and use. Cool. Go for it. Not for me. 

Didn't really read the OP, huh?
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
I'm going to turn this around:  Why wouldn't you want Power/ Condition cards.

Here is a few more:

It feels more like a card game.

It discourages immersive roleplaying and description of actions and encourages to see them as discrete options you can take on your turn (which they are, but that should not be emphasized).

It strongly works against homebrewing and houserules as those will not be on any official cards. Even optional modular parts of official rules may be problematic.

It makes players feel that those cards are their only options (yes running up and biting the ogre is an option)
There is another downside to cards:  Sifting through them to find the one you want.

If you only have several, this is not an issue, but as the count increases so does the time required to find the one you need.  Since cards tend to naturally shuffle, there is no guarantee of order as a book has.  I can see this causing players to take longer and longer.  I noticed this back when players used the Spell Cards for 2e.

I would hope that players would have already pre-pulled the card relevant to their character.

If they are too lazy to do so, I'd probably have to shame them into doing so, starting with snide comments and eventually just skipping their turn while they search.

Carl

I would hope that players would have already pre-pulled the card relevant to their character.

If they are too lazy to do so, I'd probably have to shame them into doing so, starting with snide comments and eventually just skipping their turn while they search.

Carl

Yeah, that follows, but with the spell cards a character could have up to 50 at higher levels and I noticed that it took longer and longer as the players fiddled with the cards to find that particular spell they wanted.

And yes, if they don't prep between rounds it is a mess and they deserve to be shamed.
If it gets as complex a 4e we better see an app.
If it gets as complex a 4e we better see an app.

If it gets as complex as 4E I probably won't play it.

Carl
Sign In to post comments