U/W Weenie Control

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi to everyone,since Im making a new Legacy/Casual deck Id like to hear some opinions on it.

19 Lands
10 Plains
Island
3 Glacial Fortress 

20 Creatures 
4 Mother of Runes 
3 Grand Abolisher 
4 Geist of Saint Traft 
3 Judge's Familiar
4 Serra Avenger 
Knight of the Holy Nimbus

21 Spells
Brave the Elements
4 Swords to Plowshares 
4 Mana Leak 
4 Rune Snag 
4 Honor of the Pure 
3 Limited Resources 

Main deck idea is try to control board with cheap creatures who have wide type of abilities,boosted by Honor of the Pure.With Limited Resources enemy cant have more than 5 lands and with Mana Leak and Rune Snag you can easily block him while killing him with your creatures which you can protect with Mother and Brave the elements.
This looks like a decent deck but maybe you could drop either the mother of runes or Brave the elements for 4 Downpour. and maybe throw in a couple Fog bank for blocking so that you can go all out attacking after dropping a Downpour.
This looks like a decent deck but maybe you could drop either the mother of runes or Brave the elements for 4 Downpour. and maybe throw in a couple Fog bank for blocking so that you can go all out attacking after dropping a Downpour.

Mother of Runes and Brave the elements are there to easily protect creatures when attacking and blocking too,and of course from opponents spells.So you can easily protect lets say Geist of Saint Traft when attacking,and 2 times attack with him its almost game finished.Im only not sure about Limited Resources yet,it does block enemy to 5 lands while 5 lands for this deck is more than enough,but until turn 5 this deck should already win or almost win the game,so im wondering should i keep the Limited Resources or put it to sideboard,or maybe completly replace them with Counterspell or Boomerang or with some creatures or something completly else.
Have you played it a lot yet? How does it play out and do the limited resources cards actually help you or are they just getting in the way of you winning the game. I would say if you haven't already play it a few times to test it out. If they are just getting in the way then you could replace them with the counterspell and boomerang spells maybe two of each. I still think that you should drop one or the other of the mother of runes or brave the elements because that is a lot of cards that do the same thing and the downpour would help you win easier I think. Just my opinion though.

*edit*

On second thought, I wouldn't use the boomerang spell because you have 4 of the 'Swords' that do one better and for one less mana as well.
Have you played it a lot yet? How does it play out and do the limited resources cards actually help you or are they just getting in the way of you winning the game. I would say if you haven't already play it a few times to test it out. If they are just getting in the way then you could replace them with the counterspell and boomerang spells maybe two of each. I still think that you should drop one or the other of the mother of runes or brave the elements because that is a lot of cards that do the same thing and the downpour would help you win easier I think. Just my opinion though.

*edit*

On second thought, I wouldn't use the boomerang spell because you have 4 of the 'Swords' that do one better and for one less mana as well.

I havent played it at all yet unfortunately,im putting a list than i will order from online all the cards that i dont have now.I agree about mothers and brave the elements,i removed 2 elements,2 of them with 4 mothers is more than enough.I decided I will put Limited Resources to sideboard since a lot of decks now are fast and for them 5 lands is enough,and use it against decks that need a lot mana.Now I have space for 3 more cards,and I dont have a clue what to add,20 creatures seems enough for me,maybe add more counters or something like ReprisalDisenchant ,i just cant find anything that would blend in.
Try Downpour, trust me I have won games because of it plenty of times with decks like this. If you use those three slots that you opened up for it you will be able to rush your opponent for the killing blow. What is Judge's Familiar btw it doesn't link a pic and I didn't find it in a quick search on gatherer.
Try Downpour, trust me I have won games because of it plenty of times with decks like this. If you use those three slots that you opened up for it you will be able to rush your opponent for the killing blow. What is Judge's Familiar btw it doesn't link a pic and I didn't find it in a quick search on gatherer.

Downpour seems fine,i could try it probably. Judge's Familiar is a new card from Return to Ravnica. For 1 W/B mana 1/1 flying creature which has:Sacrifice Judges Familiar,counter target instant or sorcery spell unless its controler pays 1.
Basically every inst/sorc your opponent plays cost him 1 more mana if he wants to successfully cast it.
Oh, ok so that's why it doesn't have a pic yet then I guess. Sorry if it seems like I'm trying to push downpour on you lol, I just figured it would work out for you and I don't have time to go through all the card lists for older sets and Downpour is a recent card that I have experience with.
Oh, ok so that's why it doesn't have a pic yet then I guess. Sorry if it seems like I'm trying to push downpour on you lol, I just figured it would work out for you and I don't have time to go through all the card lists for older sets and Downpour is a recent card that I have experience with.

No problem,thats why Im asking for suggestions here,still not sure about Downpour though  
Y U NO use [C]Dungeon Geists[/C]? They're great for control.

I don't see a lot of control here... mostly just protection for your creatures. Detain is great for control and it's W/U, so you could consider some [C]Azorius Arrester[/C] and [C]Azorius Justiciar[/C] cards. I also agree with Dragonschild that you should include the [C]Downpour[/C], because that is great for control, since it could potentially leave your enemy with nothing to block with, and if you have all 3 [C]Geist of Saint Traft[/C]s out, that's 18 potential damage right there.

I can see why you want to use [C]Limited Resources[/C], since all of your creatures cost 3 mana or less. The [C]Judge's Familiar[/C] are great in early -game, but not end-game unless you used [C]Limited Resources[/C] already. Actually... that's not a bad combo. 

As for [C]Mother of Runes[/C] and [C]Brave the Elements[/C], I don't see them helping you effectively in your attempts to control the field.  Try the creatures I mentioned above (because naming them again takes effort). 

Another suggestion would be to try [C]Spirit Mantle[/C]. It would allow your creatures to be unblockable, and I believe you can block with them and they wouldn't take damage. I use them, as well as [C]Dungeon Geists[/C] as my control in my deck. The [C]Grand Abolisher[/C] is nice because it guarantees that you can do what you want during your turn. You should get rid of the [C]Serra Avenger[/C], because in my opinion, they won't help you much, and the same goes for the [C]Swords for Plowshares[/C], and I only say that because if used on an opponent's creature, they would gain life. [C]Oblivion Ring[/C] might be a better choice.

Maybe try this:

Lands (20):
10 [C]Plains[/C]
7 [C]Island[/C]
3 [C]Glacial Fortress[/C]

Creatures (20):
4 [C]Dungeon Geists[/C]
4 [C]Judge's Familiar[/C]
4 [C]Geist of Saint Traft[/C]
4 [C]Grand Abolisher[/C]
2 [C]Azorius Arrester[/C]
2 [C]Azorius Justiciar[/C] 

Spells (20):
4 [C]Mana Leak[/C]
4 [C]Spirit Mantle[/C]
4 [C]Downpour[/C]
4 [C]Oblivion Ring[/C]
2 [C]Rune Snag[/C]
2 [C]Limited Resources[/C]

The most mana you would be using is , so it would be within the boundaries of Limited Resources. This is all based on my opinion, so feel free to disagree with me.

Edit: There's a program called MTG Forge that I like to use. It allows you to create a custom deck, and you can test it against random decks. I use it to test mine. You can put your deck and the one I suggested in there, and see how well they work against random decks.

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Is it worth pursuing the idea of playing more than one land per turn, in order to come out ahead on the Limited Resources limitation?

Terrain Generator helps, as might Dreamscape Artist.

Path to Exile your own creature?  Walking Atlas and Wayfarer's Bauble also would put lands directly into play.

Maybe Overburden to mess with the opponent (need to work around this yourself).

I bring this all up because Limited Resources can be a brutal lock if you can maximize it; if not, I would say drop it all, because many duels won't run to the point of both players having more than 5 lands in play.

As an aside, do consider adding some form of draw.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.