Rakdos zombies?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just saw the spoiled Rakdos, Lord of Riots and I immediately wanted to build around it. 
Not really sure the best way to build it, but You will need to be able to consistantly damage your opponent so as to be able to cast him. For those who haven't seen the card it is: BBRR for a 6/6 flying, trample. You can only cast it if an opponent lost life this turn, and creature spells you play cost 1 less for each life lost by an opponent this turn.

Lands:
4 Blood Crypt
4 Dragonskull Summit
Mountains//Swamp

Creatures:
2 Rakdos, Lord of Riots
4 Gravecrawler
4 Diregraf Ghoul
4 Geraf's Messenger
4 Blood Artist

Spells:
2 Rakdos's Return
3 Tragic Slip

This is the basic outline I have right now. Not sure if using BR zombies is the best way to utilize Rakdos, but he does serve a nice purpose as a finisher, and zombies shouldnt have a problem with dealing damage to be able to cast him.
I can see what you are going for an :B::R: would definitely be consistant in getting Rakdos out (and lets be fair, he IS a good enough finisher on his own) BUT you are losing out on his bottom ability on every creature except for Blood Artist because they are all set mana cost. there is no colourless mana option so you will never cast them cheaper.

I wouldnt look at anything tribal personally, I would most likely look at general hardcore aggro, the unleash mechanic looks to make aggro pretty strong and RB has a fair shizz of removal to keep the road clear

Now, I will go through some points:

Tragic Slip would be better replaced by something LIKE (but not necessarily depending on what else gets released) Searing Spear or Flames of the firebrand as these will allow you to both damage your opponent and remove potential roadblocks.

Bump in the night could have some decent applications as Rakdos requires loss of life NOT specifically damage (same goes for similar spells)

Blood Artist IS a strong card for this deck. Run it.

If you get a fair few fast creatures going then it should be easy to get rakdos down T4 and then get game on 5 or 6. Also good for a cryptborn horror and if you want to then slitherhead might be a nice addition as it doesnt matter if it trades 
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
Better question, what does Nicol Bolas want with the lightbulb?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
Carnival Hellsteed could actually have applications here? Haha. I see what you mean about not needing to go tribal, originally I wasn't going to go tribal, but then I thought that Zombies might be the most powerful option, but that may end up not being true. Time will tell what will go well with Rakdos, but Bump in the Night does seem like a decent options, since that alone can make your creatures cost 3 less on turn 5, that sounds great to me. I'm not going to over-commit to ideas just yet, but RB and some of my more preferred colors. I was also thinking about adding Goblin Arsonist since he is a 99% guarantee to get the damage across that I need. And now my Thundermaws have a solid place in a deck that can get them out fairly easily (in theory).

EDIT: I also think I'm going to add a 3rd Rakdos, just to give better chances of getting him over the course of the game. 4 may be a little too many as he is Legendary any everything. Also going to add Dreadbore (which seems obvious as removal). The list is still a work in progress, clearly, so I am open to ideas!

Creatures:
3 Rakdos, Lord of Riots
4 Blood Artist
4 Goblin Arsonist
2 Carnival Hellsteed
2 Cryptborn Horror
3 Rakdos Shred-Freak
2 Thundermaw Hellkite

Spells:
4 Bump in the Night
3 Dreadbore
1 Rakdos's Return
Might want to have a sac outlet to get the dmg thru with Blood Artist or Goblin Arsonist, some thing as easy as a Bloodthrone Vampire should work.
The advantage of Goblin Arsonist is that he is usually a solid attacker because as long as youre not running into a 0/X then youre gonna deal 1 damage. Honestly a prime pick for this deck.

Tormented soul could be a solid addition as this is going to be an aggressive deck. really, if youre defending youve already lost

Rakdos does make something like the hellsteed more viable but really its still too expensive because you wont always have rakdos on the field
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
The ability to make stuff cheaper is the irrelevant part of this card. This deck should be aggressive enough to cast it turn 4 and you should have other cards available if the game is going too long to get him out. Late game this deck is going to suck. 

You need 4 Cavern of souls. and 2 Falkenrath Aristocrat. And then we'll have to wait for a good 2 drop to be spoiled.

I wouldn't play Rakdos's Return in this. I don't really think it's going to do much. We should have like 22 lands so we're not going to have a bunch sitting around for a big hit. 

Sign in Blood, Dreadbore, Ultimate Price, Brimstone Volley, Flames of the Firebrand, Tragic Slip, etc in some kind of amount.  
The ability to make stuff cheaper is the irrelevant part of this card. This deck should be aggressive enough to cast it turn 4 and you should have other cards available if the game is going too long to get him out. Late game this deck is going to suck. 

You need 4 Cavern of souls. and 2 Falkenrath Aristocrat. And then we'll have to wait for a good 2 drop to be spoiled.

I wouldn't play Rakdos's Return in this. I don't really think it's going to do much. We should have like 22 lands so we're not going to have a bunch sitting around for a big hit. 

Sign in Blood, Dreadbore, Ultimate Price, Brimstone Volley, Flames of the Firebrand, Tragic Slip, etc in some kind of amount.  

I certainly agree with the removal listed, as all of it is pretty solid from what i've seen. I'll probably use Sign in Blood as some form of card draw so the deck doesn't slow down. I also agree with Falkenrath Aristocrat, but I don't own any, so I'm going to have to look into trading for them next time I go to the store where I play. I don't particularly see why I "need" 4 Caverns though, since this isn't going to be tribal most likely. If i do go back to the Zombie route, then I certainly could see using them, but otherwise it seems like a very uneffective investment.

The advantage of Goblin Arsonist is that he is usually a solid attacker because as long as youre not running into a 0/X then youre gonna deal 1 damage. Honestly a prime pick for this deck.

Tormented soul could be a solid addition as this is going to be an aggressive deck. really, if youre defending youve already lost

Rakdos does make something like the hellsteed more viable but really its still too expensive because you wont always have rakdos on the field

Yea, you make a good point. Perhaps just 1 Hellsteed since I wouldn't want to see too many of them over the course of a game since it could be hard to cast without Rakdos + damage.

I certainly agree with the removal listed, as all of it is pretty solid from what i've seen. I'll probably use Sign in Blood as some form of card draw so the deck doesn't slow down. I also agree with Falkenrath Aristocrat, but I don't own any, so I'm going to have to look into trading for them next time I go to the store where I play. I don't particularly see why I "need" 4 Caverns though, since this isn't going to be tribal most likely. If i do go back to the Zombie route, then I certainly could see using them, but otherwise it seems like a very uneffective investment.

Caverns is a kind of mana fixing but if your meta isn't counter heavy then there isn't that much of a need. If it's gravy it's gravy. 

I would say the Falkenrath Aristocrat is a must. It's to be seen if Rakdos will be better (I hope it is because it's just ****ing cool) and Flakenrath is proven reach plus gives you the sac engine for Blood Artist, Geralf's Messenger, and Morbid. If Falkenrath is the only sac engine I think we're going to have to edit the list if. Blood Artist is really good because of Mortar Pod and just decent without it. It's not a good turn 2 play so hopefully we'll get something that'll be a good turn 2 play. 

I'm thinking maybe Bonfire could help us. Maybe just one or two copies, I'm not sure. 

I plan on playing this post-rotation.  
What about Bloodthrone Vampire as was suggested earlier for the reliable sac outlet for Blood Artist? And I was thinking about Stromkirk Noble to side in for any matchup against Humans since it can get out of hand quickly.
What about Bloodthrone Vampire as was suggested earlier for the reliable sac outlet for Blood Artist? And I was thinking about Stromkirk Noble to side in for any matchup against Humans since it can get out of hand quickly.

I don't know if Humans will be good post-rotation. They're losing a lot of staples. I think if you go Red splashing black Stromkirk Noble could be good. Vexing Devil, Noble, Ash Zealot, Guttersnipe, Rakdos, and a bunch of burn spells plus some extra removal with black might be doable. 

Bloodthrone, maybe? I guess I can mess around with it and see how I like it.  
You appear to be missing Falkenrath Aristocrat.
Yea, Falkenrath is definitely going to go in once I can find someone who is willing to trade them to me. I would probably only run 2-3, as to not clog up the 4-drop spot, since Rakdos is 4 as well and he is the staple I want to build around. Vexing Devil is an interesting suggestion, since your opponent will more than likely opt to keep the body rather than take the damage, for fear of Rakdos or Cryptborn being in hand. But even still a 4/3 body is still pretty nice for 1. I like that idea better than Tormented Soul as a 1-drop. So do you think this is going to be more Red, with the Black splash for turns 4 and later? Something like:

1 Drop:
4 Goblin Arsonist
4 Vexing Devil
4 Bump in the Night
4 Duress

2 Drop:
3 Dreadbore
Sign in Blood

3 Drop:
3 Cryptborn Horror
2 Brimstone Volley

4 Drop:
3 Rakdos, Lord of Riots
2 Falkenrath Aristocrat

5 Drop:
2 Thundermaw Hellkite

6 Drop:
1 Carnival Hellsteed

???
Shoulda picked them up when they were only 3 apiece.
Yea, wish I had since now they are like $15 a pop, but I think I have stuff that is good enough to trade for them, so I'm not overly worried. But it may take a few days, depending on if people are willing to give them up. Plus if I get good things in RtR box then I could always trade a dual land or 2 for a couple, since people always go bananas over those (for good reason).

Bump in the night could have some decent applications as Rakdos requires loss of life NOT specifically damage (same goes for similar spells)

There is  zero reason to run Bump over pillar of flame.
"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Proud member of the Rakdos guild

There is  zero reason to run Bump over pillar of flame.

Why do I always forget that Pillar of Flame exists? Especially since I run it in three different decks *facepalm*
Show
I think a lot of people are reading too much into that largely irrelevant third ability, and not paying enough attention that 6/6 flying trampler is plenty good enough.

I'm currently trying to squeeze 2 into my Jund Zombie build, but if I was going straight R/B zombie I would definitely have 2 of him in, and I also think it's the best deck to get him out. By turn 4 you can 3 or 4 bodies on the table, easily enough for one to get through and then follow up with Rakdos for an insane amount of turn 5 pressure.

I think looking into direct burn effects and weird sort of control black stuff and whatever is noble but seriously, B/R zombies with Aristocrat, Blood Artists and Brimstone Volley, then just chuck in 2 Rakdos. If you aren't running Jund and aren't going to have Dreg Mangler in there I would consider Rakdos Shred Freak, that thing is under rated imo.
I want to be Cultured.