Spiked Chain v. Polearm - Prone Build Avenger

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everyone,

I'm rolling an Avenger in a new campaign, and I'm torn about whether to use a spiked chain or a polearm. I really like the idea of a proning build, so the polearm momentum, poleam gamble and fighter multiclass to get skill swap (Combat Superiority) really appeals to me. However, the spiked chain build gets the at-will trip up and running at level one as I am making a human (bonus feat).

Are there any benefits to the spiked chain over the polearm once you get to paragon tier? It seems like the polearm builds have much more feat support and, as noted above, the option to keep other enemies at bay with opportunity attacks. The spiked chain build's strength seems to be that a) you can use it form level 1 and b) you don't need any magic gear to get the at-will proning.

Note: my hope for the build is to be able to charge in, prone the enemy. Next turn - attack and shift out so they can't stand up and get within melee reach. Repeat as needed. To this end,  the polearm build is better for keeping enemies out of melee reach, and also has access to mor feats improving charge. Not sure what the spiked chain has to offer in comparison

Thoughts?
Avengers get their striker feature from being adjacent to enemies, having a reach weapon is usually rather a waste. Is there any reason why your style of build would not be better as a Fighter?
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Aside from liking the flavor of the avenger, I like that the class is more set up to take on a secondary role as a controller, isolating one target and dealing more damage to it. Avenger also has more mobility.

The way I'd play the Avenger with a reach weapon would still make use of OOE, making attacks adjacent, shifting/moving away, and charging (or using at-will Bond of Pursuit to start adjacent when enemy finishes their turn after being stopped 2 squares away from OE with Polearm Gamble/Combat Superiority).
What erachima said. I really recommend that you consider the Fighter instead if you'd like a chain or pole striker/controller (also allows you to MC Spiked Chain for threatening reach at lvl 8).
Test your PC builds' combat prowess and pit them against other builds at the Core Coliseum - the online D&D arena.
What erachima said. I really recommend that you consider the Fighter instead if you'd like a chain or pole striker/controller (also allows you to MC Spiked Chain for threatening reach at lvl 8).

Well the other reason I'm building around an Avenger is for party utility - Wisdom score, perception, etc. Although I guess there's ways to approximate that with a fighter
Fighters are wis-secondary.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Druid could be another pretty good option for a WIS-focused, prone-heavy build.  You do a bit less damage but a lot more control, and it's readymade for polearm shenanigans.
Druid could be another pretty good option for a WIS-focused, prone-heavy build.  You do a bit less damage but a lot more control, and it's readymade for polearm shenanigans.

You don't have a sample build on hand, do you?

You don't have a sample build on hand, do you?

Sample building really isnt that necessary. The core of it is using polearm momentum (feat) , and beast form powers. I think alfsair spear can be used on polearms turning it into a dual implement. Or you could put the werebear/wolf/rat theme on a sentinel as a human if you prefer their mechanics.
Alien270 had a great PM druid build a while back.  I'll try to find it.

edit - Silverback Joe:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

edit 2 - ninja'd!
Alien270 had a great PM druid build a while back.  I'll try to find it.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Only built out to 16. It could probably be more optimal, as well.
Polearm Momentum and Magic Stones is some pretty great heroic level control.  Push and Prone for 3 targets, at-will.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?