Jund (Post Rotation)

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Starting a thread for various jund builds in the new format, post all your lists here if you want me to comment on how bad they are.
Here's my jund/ramp control list to get things started.

As you can see there's alot of unplayables in here but I'm bored and wanted to start a discussion on something I'll probably be facing 4 out of 5 rounds in my first few RtR standard events.

I played a few games against this exact list with BG zombies with my teammate and the matchup was terrible 6-1 in his favor.
Who knew that turn 3 Huntmaster turn 4 Thragtusk was unbeatable for zombies. :P

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

I've been thinking of a more aggro Jund list. It would look something like this

4 Blood Crypt
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Dragonskull Summitt
4 Woodland Cemetary
4 Swamp
3 Mountain
1 Forest

4 Rakdos Shred Freak
4 Dreg Mangler
4 Huntmaster
3 Falkenrath Aristocrat
2 Thragtusk
2 Zealous Conscripts
1 Thundermaw Hellkite

4 Rancor

2 Bonfire
2 Dreadbore
3 Brimstone Volley
2 Ultimate Price
1 Devils Play
2 Liliana

A very rough draft, but all this deck wants to do is kill things and turn guys sideways.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I guess no one listened..as there's lots of Jund threads floating around lol
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Happy to see this thread. When I get home from work I will edit this post with my midrange Jund deck list and delete the thread I started.

3x Dreadbore
Show
RB Sorcery
Destory target creature or planeswalker.

3x Abrupt Decay
Show
GB Instant
Abrupt Decay can not be countered by spells or abilities. Destory target nonland permament with converted mana cost 3 or less.

3x Rakdos Charm
Show
RB Instant
Choose one - Exile all cards from target player's graveyard; or destroy target artifact; or each creature deals 1 damage to its controller.

[deck]3x Bonfire of the Damned

Creatures:
3x Elvish Visionary
3x Wolfir Avenger
4x Huntmaster of the Fells
2x Zealous Conscripts
3x Thragtusk
1x Wolfir Silverheart

Lands:
4x Rootbound Crag
2x Woodland Cemetery
4x Overgrown Tomb
1x Blood Crypt
1x Kessig Wolf Run
7x Forest
3x Mountain
2x Swamp[/deck]

From my thread some one suggested getting rid of the Rakdos Charms to the sideboard, I am wondering what to play in those 3 slots. 

I am running only 16 creatures which feels really low for me, any advice on this?

Also deciding between the Mizzium Mortars and Bonfire in this build.
I like your list, James, the Rancor plan seems solid.  I'm not all that crazy about Lili yet what with the possibility of so many tokens and general value dudes.  Though we'll certainly see.  Also lack of Pillar feels risky.

This was my draft, much along the same lines:

F%$! You I'm a Bus --- Jund

4 Arbor Elf
4 Loltroll
2 Nighthawk
4 Dreg Mangler
4 Huntmaster
2 Falkenrath Aristocrat
2 Deadbridge Goliath
2 Thragtusk
1 Wolfir Silverheart

1 Garruk 3.0

1 Abrupt Decay
2 Tragic Slip
1 Ultimate Price
2 Pillar of Flame
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Bonfire
(37)

4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Blood Crypt
4 Woodland Cemetery
2 Dragonskull Summit
2 Rootbound Crag
3 Forest
1 Swamp
1 Mountain
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Kessig Wolf Run
(23)

I'm not that hot on Arbor Elf now knowing there won't be a winged friend (RIP Birds, I'm in shock), but I still like hitting the turn 3 Mangler and the ability to boost Bonfire a little.  Could as easily be more Nighthawks/Rancors/Pillars.

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
Pack Rat is like Bitterblossom and Tarmogoyf had a black baby.
Yea I wasn't too fond of Lili as well. You could potentially SB her for anyone who try's to play control in the early parts of the season. I wonder how good the Rakdod one drop would be in this deck. As long as I have Rancor in here I don't feel bad about any creature I play, and he can lead to some pretty fast starts. However I also feel those 4 slots could be used on better, more impactful cards. It's all theory right now just cause we can't play with the set yet. And you're probably right about Pillar. Zombies isn't going anywhere, and getting rid of Messengers/Crawlers is always good.

Id probably go
-2 Liliana
+2 Pillar
-1 Brimstone Volley
+1 Garruk Relentless

It feels weird not having any planeswalkers in the deck lol.

I'm too hot on dorks in Jund as well. I don't know I just think they're better suited for Naya/Bant/Junk Beatdown decks than they are for Jund. I really like the versatility of Rancor, and putting it on a Nighthawk is pretty filthy. I don't know how good Tragic Slip will be when we rotate, and since you don't have many ways to easily trigger morbid, I'm skeptical about starting it.

And last but not least I wouldn't start more than 2 Bonfires. You don't want to see it in your opening hand, as it just pretty much rots away for most of the game.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I editted my previous post.  Thanks for starting this also.

I am not a fan of Liliana, I see this up coming enviroment to be very creature heavy for the starts. Garruk Relentless is a good plan, I am partial cause I am using him also.
@James, I guess I'd changed some stuff in my list without adapted the rest to it.  The Slips were from when I had a couple Lili, but I still think the card will be good.  I like it better than most of black's removal, and it's better than Electrickery.  Could be more Pillars, though.

I was seriously totally sure Birds would be back, so I had expected Bonfires to be powered up by dorks.  Probably for the best.  I'll test with people and see, but very well might go -4 Arbor Elf, -1 Bonfire; +5 whatever.

I do think Garruk will be good.  Control should be a thing again at least in some capacity, so making an extra dude a turn or tutoring up a Big Thing off a token should be really good.  And he's yet more removal against the other midrange/aggro decks as necessary.  I could see having 2 of him.

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
Pack Rat is like Bitterblossom and Tarmogoyf had a black baby.
I'm not against Garruk at all, especially when you get to slap Rancor on his DT wolves. Yea I like Rancor in case you couldn't tell lol.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
The more I think about it the more I realize Strangleroot Geisst is just a strictly better 2 drop than Rakdos Shred Freak. The mana just needs to be re worked a little bit, but I think it's do able.

I've been thinking of a more aggro Jund list. It would look something like this

3 Blood Crypt
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Dragonskull Summitt
4 Woodland Cemetary
4 Evolving Wilds
1 Swamp
1 Mountain
3 Forest

4 Strangleroot Geist
4 Dreg Mangler
4 Huntmaster
3 Falkenrath Aristocrat
2 Thragtusk
1 Zealous Conscripts
2 Wolfir Silverheart

4 Rancor

2 Bonfire
2 Dreadbore
3 Brimstone Volley
2 Ultimate Price
2 Pillar of Flame

1 Garruk Relentless

4 Evolving Wilfs for maximum mana consistency. Added 2 Pillars and a Garruk in favor of the Lilianas and Devils Play. I figure 3 Volleys is enough reach for the, and between Dreadbore, Ultimate Price etc you have plenty of ways to kill stuff. I would like to fit in a 2nd Garruk but dont know what to cut.

And finally 2 Silverhearts in the main over double Conscripts and the Thundermaw. I feel like I'll always want to see a Silverheart more often than Conscripts. Wolfy is also pretty scary with 12 haste dudes in the deck. You can attack for 6-8 dmg out of no where. Also Silverearts compliment the new mana base better.

One last add would be Kessig Wolf Run, maybe for one Overgrown Tomb.

I'd be really excited to play this deck if I could. I think it has some serious potential.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
This is lulz and not fast enough at all. It's a Jund list, and cool trying to avoid zombies. But the Jund zombies list is simply better in all regards. Your high end fat will never get of the ground.
What do you mean by "will never get off the ground at all"?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
BC by the time you develop a board they already have one and can respond to most of your plays with removal. 

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Slower Jund, like a midrangey list is fine. 4 Thragtusk, some removal, a little bit of ramp. There's not much point playing an aggressive non-zombie jund deck. Play lots of value creatures and spells.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
Yeah. Your first play is giest. A good one, but I'll his swing back with more power same/next turn
This will smash face

Jund

4 rados cackler
4 rakdos shred freak
4 lolleth troll
4 dreg mangler
4 strangleroot geist
4 huntmaster

3 abrupt decay
3 bonfire
2 dreadbore
4 pillar of flames
4 rancor

3 blood crypt
4 rootbound craig
4 woodland cenetary
3 dragonskull summit
3 forest
2 swamp
1 mountain
This will smash face Jund 4 rados cackler 4 rakdos shred freak 4 lolleth troll 4 dreg mangler 4 strangleroot geist 4 huntmaster 3 abrupt decay 3 bonfire 2 dreadbore 4 pillar of flames 4 rancor 3 blood crypt 4 rootbound craig 4 woodland cenetary 3 dragonskull summit 3 forest 2 swamp 1 mountain

Have fun trying to cast Strangleroot Geist turn 2 in that deck.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

@ rorix
Haha youve said thattttt but serious i really dont think ittll be too mic of an issue inthink i could cast it more often than not btw how to you post someone elses comment along with your own idl if i can in an iphone...