Mono Black V.2.0- Comment/Help

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

(the newest version is in the end of the page)
Ok in the link given up is my old deck which I want to change a little bit. Further more I want to add three types of cards:Exquisite Blood, Sanguine Bond and Death Cultist. And hope you will help me solve the next problems:
1)First of all please take a look at old deck and answer the question: Should I cut 2 swamps for 2 more Urborgs? Will it be good/bad idea? I'm not so sure so I'm asking you.
2)Second problem is ammount of the cards I want to add. Should I run 4 of them all or it will be too  much?
3)For the moment the last one problem:This is sure I want to add those enchantments and creature but I don't know exactly what to take out. Personnally I think that I should drop Consume Spirit and Carnifex Demons.

Thank you a lot for help!
Ok I have prepared copleted list. Here we go:

LANDS
16x Swamp
4x Cabal Coffers
4x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

CREATURES
4x Death Cultist
4x Reiver Demon
4x Bloodgift Demon
2x Carnifex Demon

ARTIFACT
4x Contagion Engine

ENCHANTMENTS
4x Exquisite Blood
4x Sanguine Bond

SORCERY
4x Demonic Tutor
4x Black Sun's Zenith
2x Rise form the Grave

What do you think?
Contagion Engine seems unnecessary. You'll be putting insane mana into the Zenith via the Coffers anyway, so not much will live through a Zenith.
Hmm good thought but any ideas what to replace it with?
That mana curve is hilarious. 4 Urborgs seems like too much. How about Expedition Map to go get the lands you need? Korlash, Heir to Blackblade seems really good here, by the way.
4 uraborgs is not nessiarry unless you have swampwalk of some sort,
replace 2 of them with swamps if ur mana curve is big or 3 depending

if you want to really kill people quick,  i would suggest Exsanguinate,

-Gains life
-HITS EACH enemy
-in a multiplayer game it gives you insane amounts of life
-it triggers exquisite blood for funny amounts of life gain xD
-funny with coffers

Example 4 player game
with coffers you pay 7 mana,
hits each enemy for 5 damage, you gain 15 life (with the exquisite blood you gain 30) xD

god only knows if people will rage quif if you do it with coffers for 10 damge,
that is 30 life (or double/triple depending)
I came to cocnclusion that more urborgs means better. If I'm not wrong it's effect works on itself too so Urborg is a Swamp itself too so I can tap it for black mana like a normal swamp. Maximum ammount  of it will help me to get them. So having 16 swamps and 4 urborgs is like having 20 swamps but... much better. And coffers of course. So i think that is not necessary to low it's ammount. So if I replace contagion engine and, maybe, death cultist this will look something like this:

LANDS(24 in total)
16x Swamp 
4x Cabal Coffers  
4x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

CREATURES(14 in total)
4x Korlash, Heir to Blackblade
4x Reiver Demon
4x Bloodgift Demon
2x Carnifex Demon 

ENCHANTMENTS(8 in total)
4x Exquisite Blood
4x Sanguine Bond

SORCERY(14 in total)
4x Demonic Tutor
4x Black Sun's Zenith
4x Exsanguinate
2x Rise from the Grave

The problem is that Urborg is legendary. If you draw more than one, all the extras are useless. However, if you replace a couple with Expedition Map, you can use the Maps to go get either Urborg or Cabal Coffers. Once you have one Urborg, just get as many Coffers as possible for maximum mana.
I must ask: Unlikely the mana burn rule(which used to be active)  which now doesn't work but the ''legend rule'' does,right?(my friends and I have never heard about this rule [I'm the first] maybe cause we don't use any legends)
You only need 2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth at most. If you're playing with 4 tutors, you could probably get away with just running 1.

You have no outs against countermagic, artifacts, or enchantments. Black has forced discard to counteract this. Duress/Thoughtseize and Hymn to Tourach is the ideal discard package that any mono black control deck should be using.

Play Phyrexian Arena over Bloodgift Demon. As cool as the demon is, it is slower than Arena and much easier to disrupt.

You should be using more cheaper and early game removal since you can't always rely on board sweepers to save you against aggro. Some of my favorite choices are Chainer's Edict, Innocent Blood, and Geth's Verdict.

I'll post more later when I can think of additional things to add.
The legend rule is certainly still a rule. You have to be careful about putting too many copies of a legend in your deck.
Sign In to post comments