How does this look for a deck to play for the last two FNMs before SOM Block rolls out?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Deck dedicated to my favorite card that will be rolling out on 10/5, Tumble Magnet

Total: 65

Or a slight variation

[deck]
Lands
12 Island
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Mountain

Creatures
4 Vedalken Infuser
4 Thrummingbird

Other spells
4 Contagion Engine
4 Necrogen Censer
4 Steady Progress
4 Volt Charge
4 Surge Node
4 Tezzeret's Gambit
2 Doom Blade
2 Go for the Throat
1 Witchbane Orb
4 Tumble Magnet
4 Fuel for the Cause
[/deck]

Total 65 
It has late game reach, but honestly, I think that the deck itself is it's own worst enemy in this hypo-aggro format (that could just be my metagame). You have a lot of proliferate, but it looks really slow and easily shut down by anyone running Ancient Grudge, Crushing Vines, Shattering Steel, etc. A possible card to look into would be Delver Extarch (the card that untaps artifacts that Bant Pod and 4C pod uses).
It has late game reach, but honestly, I think that the deck itself is it's own worst enemy in this hypo-aggro format (that could just be my metagame). You have a lot of proliferate, but it looks really slow and easily shut down by anyone running Ancient Grudge, Crushing Vines, Shattering Steel, etc. A possible card to look into would be Delver Extarch (the card that untaps artifacts that Bant Pod and 4C pod uses).

You are right in that it simply was too slow.  I ran it in MTGO, and was a slow mover.  Luckily, I did have enough kill spells and was able to keep enough creatures tapped to get the Tumble Magnet engine truly rolling in this game.  The problem was the lack of any offense.  I don't mind taking a hit here and there, but there were only like two cards that could do any damage to the other player, and that's where my deck completely fell apart.  Plus, I had simply way too many proliferation cards in the deck.  By the time the game was over, most of my counters on all of my counter holding cards was up close to 10, and I hadn't even had to use any of the counters from Surge Node.  Now it has less proliferate, fewer creatures (keeping Vedalken Infuser as it's a good wall}, and more direct damage spells against the player (just hope they aren't running Witchbane Orb as well).  It's a three color deck, but for the other two colors, I'm using dual color lands (as none of the other two colors require more than a single mana of a given color).  Here's what it looks like now:

I still think you're relying on proliferate too much and you're build really does nothing significant that would help you deal 20 damage before the opponent stabilizes. The problem you have is that your deck has no good answers to threats. Grave Titan comes in and laughes at this deck, as does GW Aggro and BW Tokens upon stabilizing on the board. 

I would use Board Sweepers over things like Searing Spear. Bonfire of the Damned (expensive as it is) is more likely to keep you alive and ping them for some damage, Black Sun's Zenith (BSZ) is also a good alternative and synergizes well with proliferate. BSZ answers the latter two even if Mirran Crusuader is on the board (pro black means that it isn't affect by Damage, Enchantment, Blockers, and Targeting (DEBT for short). BSZ does none of those things, so it will succesfully snag Mirran Crusuader every time.

You could also look into Tezzert Control, which is Blue/Black Artifacts, though if you don't have the cards for it, I wouldn't suggest going out and buying as they rotate out in two weeks. Augur of Bolas is another card to consider with your high instant and sorcery count. Ponder could help you set up your next two turns and you could miracle into Bonfire, I have no idea what cards you have at your disposal, so I can only offer what ideas I'm able to come up with off the top of my head. 
I would use Board Sweepers over things like Searing Spear. Bonfire of the Damned (expensive as it is)

Mutilate or Killing Wave might be a better option since they are far less expensive than Bonfire of the Damned.  Granted, Mutilate and Killing Wave only takes care of creatures... but they could clean all the creatures off the field for a much cheaper price.

Edit: running a couple of Cower in Fears in the same turn could take care of several creatures as well (unless they are just huge creatures).

SG

I would honestly say use Black Sun Zenith, it's just all around better and it gives you card advantage that using Cower In Fear to clean up what your first sweeper didn't does not and it wastes mana that could be spent somewhere else, like proliferate and draw.
I would honestly say use Black Sun Zenith, it's just all around better and it gives you card advantage that using Cower In Fear to clean up what your first sweeper didn't does not and it wastes mana that could be spent somewhere else, like proliferate and draw.

Mana is always a good thing to preserve.  The more I can put on the field the better.  But, as far as Proliferate goes, I think even the new version of the deck is super saturated when it comes to proliferation.  While I can't guarantee anything, I'm pretty sure that Tumble Magnet would still have several (if not many more) counters on it when the game ends... for one big reason.  I only got one of these out in a game, and I almost got tired of how many times I had to proliferate.  I ended up losing with zero life while my opponent only had two left.

Inexorable Tide, Surge Node, and Vedalken Infuser.  Let's just play it hypothetically here because there's very little chance that I'll get 'em all out at one time, but let's say I do. 

4 x Inexorable Tide - every single time I play a non-land card, I proliferate with this Enchantment on the field.  If all four were out, all four Tumble Magnets would get another four counters each and every time I played a non-land card.  Even if I'm actively using Tumble Magnet to tap my opponent's creatures, in a matter if three or four turns, the number of counters on each of the four Tumble Magnets would be in the teens.  Also, every turn, I can use all four Vedalken Infusers to add a counter to the Tumble Magnets.  And, if a certain Tumble Magnet came out late or was running short on counters, I could tap a land and use Surge Node to add one of its seven counters to that particular Tumble Magnet.

Since Tumble Magnet requires no mana to use once in play, let's run a scenario here.  All four Tumble Magnets are on the field, all four Inexorable Tides are on the field, all four Vedalken Infusers are on the field, and lastly all four Surge Nodes are on the field. 

During upkeep, my Vedalken Infusers give each of my Tumble Magnets a counter.  In my Main Phase 1, I play Bump in the Night.  Opponent loses three life.  This triggers all four Inexorable Tides which gives all four Surge Nodes and all four Tumble Magnets four counters each.  Let's say the opponent has five creatures out.  I can only tap four at this time with Tumble Magnet, so I use a Doom Blade to take care of the fifth creature to make sure he/she can't use it when it's their turn.  That triggers Inexorable Tide again, and each of my Surge Nodes and Tumble Magnets gain four more counters each. 

In this hypothetical situation, I'm still not even done with my turn, but each Tumble Magnet 12 counters and each Surge Node has gained eight counters.  Now, I use four mana to transfer four counters from each Surge Node to each Tumble Magnet.  If by chance they haven't been used yet (and again, just keep in mind this is a hypothetical situation), that means that now each Tumble Magnet has 16 counters on it (probably more than it would need for the entire game), and each Surge Node would have 14 counters.  And, at this point, I haven't even made it out of Main Phase 1 yet.

That's why I don't think this deck is in any way short on proliferation.  The ability to draw a card tacked on to the proliferate cards is very nice.  But, cards like Ponder would allow you not only to draw a card but to have better control of what is on top or your deck or allow you to shuffle your deck if you don't like what's on top.  Plus, Ponder is only a one drop where all of the other cards in the deck that Proliferate and let me draw a card are three and four drops.

I've never actually played this deck in real life, but again, I played a very similar if not identical copy of the first version on MTGO.  Yes, there were decks that could easily beat me.  But, it definitely wasn't for lack of Proliferation.... more the fact that I can't have more than four Tumble Magnets in my deck at any given time Smile.

SG

Mana is always a good thing to preserve.  The more I can put on the field the better.  But, as far as Proliferate goes, I think even the new version of the deck is super saturated when it comes to proliferation.  While I can't guarantee anything, I'm pretty sure that Tumble Magnet would still have several (if not many more) counters on it when the game ends... for one big reason.  I only got one of these out in a game, and I almost got tired of how many times I had to proliferate.  I ended up losing with zero life while my opponent only had two left.

Inexorable Tide, Surge Node, and Vedalken Infuser.  Let's just play it hypothetically here because there's very little chance that I'll get 'em all out at one time, but let's say I do. 

4 x Inexorable Tide - every single time I play a non-land card, I proliferate with this Enchantment on the field.  If all four were out, all four Tumble Magnets would get another four counters each and every time I played a non-land card.  Even if I'm actively using Tumble Magnet to tap my opponent's creatures, in a matter if three or four turns, the number of counters on each of the four Tumble Magnets would be in the teens.  Also, every turn, I can use all four Vedalken Infusers to add a counter to the Tumble Magnets.  And, if a certain Tumble Magnet came out late or was running short on counters, I could tap a land and use Surge Node to add one of its seven counters to that particular Tumble Magnet.

Since Tumble Magnet requires no mana to use once in play, let's run a scenario here.  All four Tumble Magnets are on the field, all four Inexorable Tides are on the field, all four Vedalken Infusers are on the field, and lastly all four Surge Nodes are on the field. 

During upkeep, my Vedalken Infusers give each of my Tumble Magnets a counter.  In my Main Phase 1, I play Bump in the Night.  Opponent loses three life.  This triggers all four Inexorable Tides which gives all four Surge Nodes and all four Tumble Magnets four counters each.  Let's say the opponent has five creatures out.  I can only tap four at this time with Tumble Magnet, so I use a Doom Blade to take care of the fifth creature to make sure he/she can't use it when it's their turn.  That triggers Inexorable Tide again, and each of my Surge Nodes and Tumble Magnets gain four more counters each. 

In this hypothetical situation, I'm still not even done with my turn, but each Tumble Magnet 12 counters and each Surge Node has gained eight counters.  Now, I use four mana to transfer four counters from each Surge Node to each Tumble Magnet.  If by chance they haven't been used yet (and again, just keep in mind this is a hypothetical situation), that means that now each Tumble Magnet has 16 counters on it (probably more than it would need for the entire game), and each Surge Node would have 14 counters.  And, at this point, I haven't even made it out of Main Phase 1 yet.

That's why I don't think this deck is in any way short on proliferation.  The ability to draw a card tacked on to the proliferate cards is very nice.  But, cards like Ponder would allow you not only to draw a card but to have better control of what is on top or your deck or allow you to shuffle your deck if you don't like what's on top.  Plus, Ponder is only a one drop where all of the other cards in the deck that Proliferate and let me draw a card are three and four drops.

I've never actually played this deck in real life, but again, I played a very similar if not identical copy of the first version on MTGO.  Yes, there were decks that could easily beat me.  But, it definitely wasn't for lack of Proliferation.... more the fact that I can't have more than four Tumble Magnets in my deck at any given time .

SG

You are also talking about ideal senerio where things would go uninterupted and you've had time to play out your cards (against aggro it's more likely than anything else until Game Two when they sideboard Ancient Grudge or Crushing Vines). Most of the time you'll probably see 1-2 of the cards unless you're tutoring or Poding. Ponder is actually a good suggestion, you could also use flashback Think Twice to net more draw and leave mana open for the flashback at the end of your opponents turn to make them play around possible counterspells.
You are also talking about ideal senerio where things would go uninterupted and you've had time to play out your cards (against aggro it's more likely than anything else until Game Two when they sideboard Ancient Grudge or Crushing Vines). Most of the time you'll probably see 1-2 of the cards unless you're tutoring or Poding. Ponder is actually a good suggestion, you could also use flashback Think Twice to net more draw and leave mana open for the flashback at the end of your opponents turn to make them play around possible counterspells.

You are 100% correct.  I am thinking of an ideal scenario.  I've played this deck in the Just for Fun room on MTGO several times now.  It's one of those decks that I just want to play because Tumble Magnet is my favorite Scars Block card.  And, I've seen at least one very successful deck built around it (been a long time since I played against it though).

Yes, there are aggro decks and mana ramp decks that'll eat this deck for breakfast... but then again, those same decks will take down my Exalted Deck just as fast.  Per your advice, I did buy two (virtual) Black Sun's Zenith, but the few hands I've played since then have been using control or something like Exalted Infect where there's only one or no creatures in play.  And the times where there are creatures in play, my luck of the draw doesn't bring the Black Sun's Zenith to me.

I appreciate the advice about Think Twice.  I didn't really even think about that one as I don't play much Blue at all.  But, playing it and then using it again via Flashback could be very effective.  I appreciate it!

If you have any suggestions about a single card that can really do some damage directly to a player, that would be very helpful.  Even with a playset of each Searing Spear and Bump in the Night, I still can't take an opponent down.

Thanks again for your suggestions and any further suggestions are welcome!

SG
Well, for starters I still feeling like you're trying to push the third color where UB would be just fine. You also need more creatures to help you survive, if you want to keep it artifact related, you have Solemn Simulacrum, which can help you ramp and draw, and Wurmcoil Engine so you can get back some of the life you're losing the first few turns. Etched Champion is another good artifact creature that gets pro colors when you have three or more artifacts. 

Bump in the Night should be used when you have your opponent damaged and in the red to end the game. Mana Leak is an awesome counterspell to help you with control matchups and also it can stop early game creatures or fatties from hitting the board. Conversion Chamber from New Phyrexia is also a good card that uses charge counters to produce Golem Tokens. Unwinding Clock to untap. Etc. 
Well, for starters I still feeling like you're trying to push the third color where UB would be just fine. You also need more creatures to help you survive, if you want to keep it artifact related, you have Solemn Simulacrum, which can help you ramp and draw, and Wurmcoil Engine so you can get back some of the life you're losing the first few turns. Etched Champion is another good artifact creature that gets pro colors when you have three or more artifacts. 

Bump in the Night should be used when you have your opponent damaged and in the red to end the game. Mana Leak is an awesome counterspell to help you with control matchups and also it can stop early game creatures or fatties from hitting the board. Conversion Chamber from New Phyrexia is also a good card that uses charge counters to produce Golem Tokens. Unwinding Clock to untap. Etc. 

Thank you so much for all the wonderful information on Blue as, again, I haven't played much blue.  I'm a Black/White/Red guy myself.  I tend to stay away from Green and Blue.  They just don't fit my play style.  I'm more of a "Beatdown Deck" type player.  In other words, get creatures out and just beat the crap out of the other player with them.  It's a very simplified view of a much deeper game, I know.  But, Black, White, and Red all have excellent ways of doing that (Black and Red's choice of creatures and Red and White's token generation).  So, I'm very ignorant when it comes to Blue.  I appreciate any advice you can give me when it comes to Blue.

Again, it's been a LONG time (several months) since I played against that Tumble Magnet deck, but to the best of my remembrance, I don't think that player used any creatures.  I think it was purely control with a hit here and there from Enchantments, Sorceries, Instants, and Artifacts.  Plus, adding more creatures for offense and defense makes a card like Black Sun's Zenith, Mutilate (very similar cards), and Killing Wave very dangerous to me... unless I'm running several Blood Artists along with it which makes the deck less about Blue Control and more about Black Aggro with a focus on Blood Artist.  That said, I'm doing my best to keep the amount of creatures to a bare minimum in this deck.  The only reason I'm running Vedalken Infuser is to get additional charge counters added to Tumble Magnet without using any mana.  Plus, a 1/4 creature makes for a good wall.

Please remember again that my knowledge of Blue is very little, but I can't see how running a deck with more creatures and a card like Black Sun's Zenith could positive for me.  I could be completely wrong, and I very well may be.  So, please let me know if I am.  And again, more suggestions are always welcome.  I don't see myself being able to play this deck IRL within the last couple of weeks before it rolls out of Standard, but I have another month in MTGO to finely tune it before it rolls out.  And, I have several more chances to play it in MTGO rather than just in FNM.

SG
Creatures: 22
4x Avacyn's Pilgrim
4x Arbor Elf
3x Loxodon Smiter
3x Silverblade Paladin
2x Azorius Justicar
3x Restoration Angel
3x Thragtusk 

Other Spells -14
4x Selesnya Charm
3x Azorius Charm
3x Oblivion Ring
3x Farseek
1x Ajani, Caller of the Pride

Lands -24
2x Gavony Township 
3x Sunpetal Grove
3x Hinter Harborland
4x Temple Garden
9x Forest
3x Plains 

Sideboard
2x Nevermore
3x Detention Sphere
3x Dyrad Militant 
2x Garruk, Primal Hunter
2x Supreme Verdict 
1x Loxodon Smiter
2x Cursebreak

This is the GW Beatdown deck I will be running post rotation when RtR comes out. Assuming that I hadn't already focused my deck, this deck would have superiority in a matchup. Why? Because I told you? I'm just some guy posting on a forum who could know nothing. Because it's been focused? It definitely gives it an edge, but I told you to assume it wasn't (for the record it's not completed focused as I have yet to decide on Armada Wurm and where to put Acidic Slime) the reason is that it runs creatures. Every creature in this deck is a win condition, Why? Because a win condition is anything that can win you the game (in your case this would be lethal damage are you are not infect or mill).

In your deck the only win conditions you have are Bump In The Night, Searing Spear, Volt Charge, and Vedalken Infuser. You're forced into the reach stage of the game too early because I've put threats on the board and you have few good answers to deal with my threats, where I can just come in and swing out freely and pump with Gavony, making that 1/1 Avacyn's Pilgrim a 3/3 by the end of the turn if I have Ajani out as well (if I splash black and add in Corpsejack Menace it's a 5/5). The point being, without creatures, your burn could very well be forced to become removal and leave you without ways to deal lethal damage. You're board sweeps don't help in this match up either, in game two I would sideboard in Nevermore to make sure your reach spells stay off the field and Garruk, Primal Hunter so that I can make Beast Tokens after your board sweep me, making the point that I can produce more threats than you can answers.

Board sweepers are not meant to be fired off as soon as you have them, but when you have need for them. Using my deck as an example, I would not sideboard in Supreme Judgment in on you as I would have no really use for it as you run four creatures. Against token decks though, I would probably side in Supreme Verdict because even though I have bigger creatures, they have more threats, which I can reset using the board sweeper. Another example is Zombies who use Mutilate, it has nothing to do with the fact that you have more creatures, it's just a good answer to the biggest threat on the board with Zombies having excellent re-occurrence. In your deck, Black Sun Zenith is a potential answer to my deck (it's less good since I use Gavony and Ajani to build them). You may kill your own creatures, but if I kill you before you can board sweep me, it doesn't matter that it was in your hand, and creatures will help you stay alive.