[RTR-ICD] Rakdos, Lord of Riots (unconfirmed)

123 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=49862992...

Rakdos, Lord of Riots
Legendary Creature - Demon (Mythic Rare)
You can't cast Rakdos, Lord of Riots unless an opponent lost life this turn.
Flying, trample
Creature spells you cast cost less to cast for each 1 life your opponents have lost this turn.
6/6

Personally, I have my doubts as to whether this was real, but I might as well stir up some discussion about it.
Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.
That's... exactly what I suspected paincast would be.

Its also flavorfully perfect for Rakdos.

I really wish they *had* used it for Rakdos actually.  
Finally a decent Rakdos card. It just had to be Rakdos himself, which means I'll never get one.
Welp. DO WANT.
edit: 4-DROP. Bananananananas 
At least it doesn't suck like his first incarnation did.  Blah. 
Full thumbs up
Hope this is real for I will be playing this. 
I'm leaning on the fake side. I mean, look at the source we are basing this off of. 
Waiting on Chaoslight to call Straight up power-explosion
I love the card. Not sure if it will see standard play though.

Also, why did he have to take the picture upside down? That seems like kind of a dumb mistake.

Shady.

I'll say that that unleash is elegant in its simplicity. And completely misused as a mechanic. I'd gladly take pretty much anything else for Rakdos if it was used properly.
It's so good but WHY CAN'T IT BE A VAMPIRE?!!?!

Erm, because it's Rakdos. He's a demon.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.

He's not a vampire because he's a demon. He was in the previous Ravnica block.

For reference: Rakdos the Defiler
Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.

A deck full of cards waiting for other cards to let you cast them doesn't sound very efficient.
Sorry, I meant that if he was a vampire, he could fit in with the vampire tribe from Innistrad.

But I guess that deck already has two decent four drops available already, so...

Also, why did he have to take the picture upside down? That seems like kind of a dumb mistake.

Shady.

I'll say that that unleash is elegant in its simplicity. And completely misused as a mechanic. I'd gladly take pretty much anything else for Rakdos if it was used properly.

What is it that makes you doubt its use in standard?
Hmmm...I'm Doubtful.

I would wager the fact that you have to play .
Interesting.  I'm reminded of Rumbling Slum, which was mostly sidelined and underplayed.

Both Rakdos and Slum deal 6 damage per turn.  This has double evasion in the form of flying and trample.  But on the other hand, sometimes you won't be able to cast this at all--not sure that's really worth the bonus evasion.

The ramping effect is pretty intriguing, but...I'm not sure what decks would really make good use of it. I can't imagine a B/R creature based ramp deck--with only one ramp card, it wouldn't be consistent enough, and at any rate the things you'd really want to do in B/R ramp if it existed would be much more along the lines of X-spells than creatures.

All in all I'm not convinced this will be a constructed staple.  I do expect it to see at least some constructed play (much like Rumbling Slum before it).  But it might just be relegated to rogue decks.

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

I would wager the fact that you have to play .

B/R isn't played? 
If anything, it's a very wordy card. I'm going rakdos for the Pre Real. (even if it utterly sucks)
I have my  hopes up for a good pair of Uncommons and Rares for Rakdos. The Leader gotta be cool.
If it were real, he's a power potato right on the spot.

Shady.

Worried about the whole guild of Rakdos in general. Basically the good red card right now is Ash Zealot who is not very splashable, and frankly red/black hasn't seen anything else good other than Dreadbore.

Hopefully rakdos will for some reason have amazing commons. Or something. One card does not the colors make.
When you've already got the zombie trinity and bonfire you don't need any other cards to make r/b playable.

I'm not gonna believe in this till better confirmation, but it's an interesting card. If scars block was still around you'd be seeing silly turn 4 plays like hit you for 6, play rakdos, play four wurmcoil engines. 

Shady.

Worried about the whole guild of Rakdos in general. Basically the good red card right now is Ash Zealot who is not very splashable, and frankly red/black hasn't seen anything else good other than Dreadbore.

Hopefully rakdos will for some reason have amazing commons. Or something. One card does not the colors make.

Yes, but there is still B/R in innistrad block. Not to mention with all of the mana fixing in the set Jund will likely be a thing with Rancor.
I want to build him in an EDH with Kaervek the Merciless, Backlash and Tyrannize
Goes well with the new demon for demon tribal, or if you want to splash in izzet red cards for the removal.

Mizzium mortars + dreadbore, + the other 6 power flyer and the one from innistrad called demonlord of ashmouth and demonic taskmaster.  Maybe with homicidal seclusion or essence harvest.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
I think it fits Paincast too well to be fake. I am convinced.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Gods, that's beautiful.  any applications for its paincast ability? 

In other news, Diablo's long lost brother, based on his title XD 
Eh.
Wish Paincast replaced Unleash.

The card will see play though.  

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
For the sake of discussion I'm going to ignore that this could be fake. If this is the real Rakdos then it kind of helps explain Unleash. Your whole strategy becomes 3 Rakdos in deck -> Put down any and every creature you can under 3cmc, Unleash all and swing for the heavens. When you connect slam Rakdos to the board and prey they don't have any worthwhile removal. After that take all of your Pillars you had saved up and toss them into your opponents face. Even Bump in the Night would look tasty. Take 3, here's my 6/5 Haste, First Strike Unleashed Carnival Hellsteed for 1BR and I'm swinging with him and Rakdos. That feels like B/R. Guttersnipe and Bump becomes 5 and Pillar is 4 damage. Carnival Hellsteed would cost 2cmc. If this is true... that could be very ruthless and I would suspect Rakdos would sell better than Niv
I REALLY hope this is real.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)

Shady.

Yes, but there is still B/R in innistrad block. Not to mention with all of the mana fixing in the set Jund will likely be a thing with Rancor.

The big thing tripping me up right now is that Hellrider and Falkenrath Noble share his 4cmc slot.

Looking again it might be possible to make some previously unplayable cards work nicely. Tyrant of Discord, Hamletback Goliath. A grixis Charmbreaker Devils deck might be fun with a Goblin Electromancer reducing the cost of your instants/sorceries. Maybe a Flayer of Hatebound undying deck?

A lot of fun might be had with this card, but the lack of solid low drops frightens me. I can think of a few Falkenrath Aristocrat, Ash Zealot, Markov Blademaster, Vexing Devils but I'm not sure that constitutes a deck.

Here's to hoping the rakdos hybrid one-drop is a 1/1 with unleash!
I like how his ability effectively applies to himself (with 2 mana being reduced from his previous incarnation).

If real, this will be bonkers in multiplayer games by acting as a lifeloss affinity enabler. 4 player game, Earthquake for 4, cast Ulamog for free.
The big thing tripping me up right now is that Hellrider and Falkenrath Noble share his 4cmc slot.

Looking again it might be possible to make some previously unplayable cards work nicely. Tyrant of Discord, Hamletback Goliath. A grixis Charmbreaker Devils deck might be fun with a Goblin Electromancer reducing the cost of your instants/sorceries. Maybe a Flayer of Hatebound undying deck?

A lot of fun might be had with this card, but the lack of solid low drops frightens me. I can think of a few Falkenrath Aristocrat, Ash Zealot, Markov Blademaster, Vexing Devils but I'm not sure that constitutes a deck.

Here's to hoping the rakdos hybrid one-drop is a 1/1 with unleash!

B/R zombies plays Falkenrath Aristocrat at the 4 slot. You just mix 2 of each and there you go. 
I want this to be real. Let me jump on "Called it on Paincast."
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Cards like this that require you to overextend are never good, he's good in EDH though.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

EDH monster. I am pumped for him
Excellent synergy with signature spell.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Hmmm. I don't think this is real - but I don't really care one way or the other.

Affinity for life loss is hardly an original idea. I find it inelegant on Rakdos. I would have preferred it be a Phyrexian thing, myself. I feel like Rakdos want to be where the party is, and though life loss implies party, I'm sure there are much more flavourful/original keywords to be developed here.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Cards like this that require you to overextend are never good, he's good in EDH though.

He doesn't force you to overextend. You only need an arnsonist or cheap burn to trigger him. He lets  you overextend once he's out, so he requires skill to use. Also, you never answered my question about vests.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]

He doesn't force you to overextend. You only need an arnsonist or cheap burn to trigger him. He lets  you overextend once he's out...

cheap burn and/or pinger.arsonist is overextending, even if by a little. but then, I guess that's why he's costed as is.
Eh.