Are the Slayer and the Scout the most damage dealing builds/classes?

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was wondering if there was a class or build that does more damage with a melee basic attack than the Slayer and more dual-weapon damage than the Scout?
I'm no expert but I'd probably say the Twin-Strike Ranger from the PHB.
Depends on what level you are and mostly just how much you're willing to optimize. At low levels the Slayer and PHB1 Ranger are pretty darn good. Rogues and Barbarians can certainly hold their own. A good Genasi Blaster wizard might actually be the best of all, perhaps. As you get up in levels it is more about charging and specialized builds for true super high damage. There are a number routes, but the best people to talk to about it are in CharOps. Can't say I keep up with the latest build craziness.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
I was wondering if there was a class or build that does more damage with a melee basic attack than the Slayer and more dual-weapon damage than the Scout?

With a melee basic attack ? May be the Thief (provided he has Combat Advantage)

Someone active on CharOp could probably better tell though.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

My apologies, I skipped over the MBA part of the question.
What level? And why an MBA?

Scouts will beat slayers with the extra attack, but that's limited to 1/round, so it's less good if your looking for a warlord partner.

If your charging, barbarians tend to win.

But the best generic MBA is probably the slayer, followed closely by the thief.

Of couse that varies per level. If you look in char-op, there's a DPR king page which may help.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I would say whoever is at the other end of the warlord, but that's probably not very helpful.
I would say whoever is at the other end of the warlord, but that's probably not very helpful.

Not helpful, and not quite correct. It's whatever melee striker, other than a Monk or Vampire or Ossassin, is at the other end of the Warlord. (We all knew Ossassins are weak and vampires suck, but for Warlords monks also suck.)

(Note: some characters of non-strikers classes, particularly Fighters, can be melee strikers for this purpose.)

And for some Warlord builds... at level 7 an Archer Skirmishing Warlord can (once a day) hand out five out-of-turn attacks against a single target in three rounds, all of them with +4 damage and two of them with +4 attack, while leaving that +4 damage hanging on the target for all of his allies to use for the rest of the round as well.
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Purely with an MBA, you're almost certainly looking at the Slayer.  But this does not mean that they are the most damaging overall.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
At low levels the thief definitely pips the slayer with his MBA.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Thanks for all the responses guys!

I'll check out the CharOp forum.

Here's some more information to clarify my question. I have gone through the two Essentials "Heroes" books and calculated the best (at-will power/ standard action) damage for the various builds. The Slayer comes out on top, with the Hexblade a close second. The Scout doesn't do nearly as much damage with just the melee basic attack, but if the dual-weapon attack also hits, the Scout does the most damage of all.

I am only interested in at-will attacks, since my campaign will not be using encounter or daily powers. I also will not be using such things as combat advantage (no sneak attack), charging, ongoing damage, or critical hits. I am also assuming no assistance from the other players (no buffs). I'm just looking at bare bones, attack after attack damage potential. That's why I posted here instead of CharOP.

My campaign will go all the way to level 30, so level 30 damage is my priority. I am also wondering if there is a class or build that gets more of an attack bonus than a Slayer (equal doesn't matter).

Assume that feats, ability scores and equipment are all equal (unless the feat or equipment is class/build specific).
I'm fairly certain that the character op boards will tell you that it is a two weapon ranger using twin strike with hunter's quarry and one of the weapon expertise feats.

I'll check out the CharOp forum.

I am only interested in at-will attacks, since my campaign will not be using encounter or daily powers. I also will not be using such things as combat advantage (no sneak attack), charging, ongoing damage, or critical hits. I am also assuming no assistance from the other players (no buffs). I'm just looking at bare bones, attack after attack damage potential. That's why I posted here instead of CharOP.

If you are going to be ignoring so many rules of 4E, Char Op may not be able to help you, anyway.

My campaign will go all the way to level 30, so level 30 damage is my priority. I am also wondering if there is a class or build that gets more of an attack bonus than a Slayer (equal doesn't matter).

Sounds like an unfun and boring trip to level 30. But, if your players are down for it, who am I to say?

I agree with MalakLightfoot about the CharOp. I remember looking through the optimization guide that WoTC published 2? years ago. It was all about combat advantage and ongoing damage.

I play the game by myself because that works best for me. I like the DnD solo player computer games (Neverwinter and Icewind Dale series), but they aren't making any new ones. I also wanted to create my own campaign, so I bought the Essentials books and am in the creation stage of my campaign. I just was wondering if the "regular" rulebooks had a better build (given the above criteria) than the Essentials builds. I've looked in DDi, but I know that not everything in the books is in DDi.

Do the builds in the "regular" books have class features every few levels like the Essentials builds? When I looked in the DDi under builds I think I just saw stuff for 1st level.
Are you going 1-30?
Do you allow half-elfs or revenant half-elfs?
Crits?
Or Only 1 standard action?
Paragon Paths?

Do the builds in the "regular" books have class features every few levels like the Essentials builds? When I looked in the DDi under builds I think I just saw stuff for 1st level.

Possibly the ranger with twin-strike, or brutal barrage + brilliant recovery if you allow extra actions.  But most "regular" classes rely more on encounter/daily powers then at-will ones.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I am going 1-30, but the damage at level 30 is the most important.

half elfs are part of the essentials races, but I don't think I'll do revenants or other shadow races. I don't remember half elves having a unique, cool combat bonus, though.

There are no critical hits. I'm just looking at "regular" damage.

Each round consists of either a "standard" (attack) action or a "full move" action. There are no minor, free or move actions (i.e. no stances or thief tricks). Sheathing, drawing, loading...etc a weapon are all considered part of the standard attack action.

I consider paragon paths to be a part of builds, so paragon paths certainly count.

I'll definitely check up on the twin strike ranger. My library has the 3 player's handbooks, but not the "power" books.
I am going 1-30, but the damage at level 30 is the most important.

half elfs are part of the essentials races, but I don't think I'll do revenants or other shadow races. I don't remember half elves having a unique, cool combat bonus, though.

There are no critical hits. I'm just looking at "regular" damage.

Each round consists of either a "standard" (attack) action or a "full move" action. There are no minor, free or move actions (i.e. no stances or thief tricks). Sheathing, drawing, loading...etc a weapon are all considered part of the standard attack action.

I consider paragon paths to be a part of builds, so paragon paths certainly count.

I'll definitely check up on the twin strike ranger. My library has the 3 player's handbooks, but not the "power" books.

Half-elfs from the PHB can get an at-will from another class (i.e. twin-strike / eldrich strike).  Making them one of the most char-opped races.

Your adding alot of limits and changing the base assumptions of the game, so i don't know what will be best.  Probably a Con based half-elf scout with eldrich strike.  Take melee training till level 11, then retrain it for adept dillitante.

guides
Power
my builds

Duly noted about how much I am changing the game melloredWink

That's cool about the half elves. I had to let my DDi subscription expire last week. I'll renew it in October and take a better look. I've only really used it for monsters and equipment so far.

In your opinion, what builds from the "power" books are better than the builds found in the PHBs in terms of general to-hit probability and damage?
Why does it even matter? If you're houseruling that much, just houserule the attacks to whatever dmg value you want. ;)
Single Player D&D when you're not even using all of the rules seems a little absurd. Why did you bother playing wotc any money when all you're going to do is play make believe with minis?
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
@Mysteria

That is an excellent point. I could just houserule the player characters' attack and damage (I could just build a whole new game from the basement upWink), but then I would need to houserule all the monster stats. I'm planning on an eventual 4 or 5 campaigns (stories) with more than 100 unique monster encounters each. I really don't want to have to houserule that much.

This way I use my very simplified combat rules within the existing system and I just adjust the encounter level as needed to provide a challange for the characters in my story. I want the randomness of the dice to have some affect on how the narrative plays out. I know in general how I want the stories to go, but I want to leave many of the details up to chance. Are the players captured at some point; do they have to run away? Does somebody die and need to be brought back to life?

The player characters and monsters both only get to use at-will standard action powers. I don't worry about daily or encounter powers or such things as auras, combat advantage, stances, status effects, ...etc. I will divide the combat area into one or more zones instead of using a precise grid and keep track of everything on paper. I don't have and won't be using minis or those cardboard tokens.

I'm also genuinely curious to see how well the existing 4e (particularly Essentials) edition works with my simplified combat system. I have an interest in DnD Next, but that won't be out until Nov/Dec of 2013. It also seems pretty clear from the posts about the playtest that I would even need to modify some things in the "kernel" rules. I may very well be the only person on the planet who wants to play the game this way. I'm cool with that and don't expect WoTC to bend over backwards to accomodate me.
With all your houseruling, you're pretty much already building a game from the ground up.

Why do do you even need to know which class can deal the most damage? Do you want to make all classes deal the same max?

edit: Also, it sounds like the only thing in combat will be: I attack with at will A/B. or I move. That sounds just, well, boooring.
I do want all my characters to have nearly the same max damage with the obvious exception of two-weapon attacks. A two-weapon fighter should do significantly less damage than a single weapon fighter if just the first attack hits. If both attacks hit, the two-weapon fighter should do significantly more.

I want all the characters to have an equal role in combat. They do roughly the same damage, just in a different way. The hexblade (for example) uses eldritch bolt magic and the pact weapon (which I think of as a magic lightsaber). The slayer uses a bow and a sword. The two weapon ranger alternates between medium damage single weapon attacks and high damage if both melee attacks hit home.

As I said in my previous post, I am likely in a very small minority of RPG players if not unique. I don't have a problem with that and I don't think my way is boring.
It probably isn't.  However, what it is, is not D&D 4e - accordingly, it's very difficult to offer meaningful advice when you're playing a game with so many house rules that it simply isn't the same game the rest of us are playing...

When you're playing a non-grid game without encounter/daily powers, crits, standard/move/minor actions, etc etc etc; you're quite simply playing a different game.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
With those conditions, probably the Scout with Dual Weapon Attack, imho. If you're just spamming at-will, no crits, no multi-attack encounters, no minors, a class that can reliably lauch two attacks in one turn wins over any single attack class, just because you add the static modifiers twice. Which means either TS or DWA, pending for DWA (granted you have a high enough hit chance - which you should) simply because you also add your main stat to it.
If I might make so bold, isn't what you are discribing basically playing the martial classes from 3e/3.5?

Would that not be an easier starting point than 4e characters? All the 3e monsters that have been statted out still exist. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
If I might make so bold, isn't what you are discribing basically playing the martial classes from 3e/3.5?

Would that not be an easier starting point than 4e characters? All the 3e monsters that have been statted out still exist. 

That would be even more broken than 4E tbh. At least we got rid of Pun Pun.

That would be even more broken than 4E tbh. At least we got rid of Pun Pun.

true, but we got unkillable revenants in return?
Unkillable unless your DM tries. PunPun was flat out unkillable 15 minutes after reaching level 3.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.

I suggest asking the DM which rules the game is using - first edition, second, third, or 3.5. And get the appropriate books. Because he obviously is not using 4th Edition or the D&DNext playtest rules.
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
I am viewing this set of houserules as an analogy to playing chess but only being permitted to use pawns... :/
I’ve removed content from this thread because vulgarities are a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the Report Post button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

Eh, erachima is harsh but was right.

Monster at-wills are substantially better all but the very most optimized player at-wills. They do more damage, and can offer stronger status effects. So if your PCs are to win, it will require constant number tweaking, roll fudging, deus ex machina, and extremely selective monster selection.

The amount of time you are going to spend modifying 4e to accomplish your goal of "simplified" content is going to outweigh any benefits on the other end; it would take less time and less effort to just run 4e as its already written. Particularly if you run with an essentials toon or two for added simplicity (knight, slayer or thief).

Using 4e's stock experience table, it takes roughly two years to reach level 30, playing one 4-encounter session a week. If you run more often, it could be mere months. If you care about functionality at 30 above all else, though, just start at epic.
Wouldn't it be more narritive for your characters to have a wide variety of powers? Who good fantasy story has the wizard shooting the same spell over and over and over again? I just don't really understand why you're doing what you're doing.
I suspect ArelofAkaila is right about the two-weapon attack scout. I was planning on having the scout be the leader of my party, with the other four members being single weapon wielders. I wanted to optimize everyone's at-will attacks because I want them to go up against the very toughest monsters (in terms of HP, ACFRW and at-wills) in the game. I am the DM and only player in my campaign. 

Actually, the best fantasy stories of all time (Tolkien's Middle Earth books) don't go into great detail about Gandalf's spells. They pretty much just say that he uses magic. Even in the movies, it's not like he's alternating between fireball, lightning bolt, magic missile, cone of cold, meteor shower, polymorph self...etc.

I should have stated at the outset that I am also not using such things as status effects, damage resistance, or damage types. The player's roll, the monsters roll, hits or misses are made, HP damage is done and I go to the next round. Every once in a while, the players or monsters might use a round to move into a new combat zone. (Yes, I realize this system is generally considered very boring and overly simplistic. I agree that a legitimate argument can be made that I am not actually playing DnD, let alone 4th edition. Why don't we just assume that everyone understands this and get back to the question of which classes/builds do the most general damage using the existing 4e and 4e Essentials rules for at-will attacks?)

I think Fardiz has a good point about 3e martial classes. I could just use the 3e martial rules and give one attack per round at the highest AB. I chose 4e essentials to begin with because I liked the class equalization goal of 4e. I also wanted to have one or two spellcasters in my party. I just didn't like the encounter/daily system for either players or monsters. Furthermore, I have more access to 4e books than other editions (not least because of DDi).

One way to make my narrative more exciting is to let the dice determine the "coolness" of the attack. If a particularly high roll is made on a hit, then some fancy weapon stroke, spell, or monster attack was used. If a particularly high roll is made on damage than the attack has hit some weak spot.
This quickly ceased to be 4e CharOp, and I believe it should be moved.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
That happened long ago.

What this is is someone monsterbating with his own house-rules.

The real point is that, with those strictures, there simply is no answer for you.  You're inventing the rules wholesale, so whatever you want to be best, will be best.
@zelink551

I originally posted this on 4e general and it was a moderator decison to move this to the CharOp board.

@thespaceinvader. I don't care if you criticize my ideas, but I do take issue with the use of the term "monsterbating".

@the moderators. Maybe you should just delete this thread. I didn't think my original question would be that difficult or controversial to deal with. My apologies.
*shrug* do so if you wish.  But I'll reiterate the point: you're talking about playing a campaign (and I use those two terms loosely) from levels 1 to 30, using a dramatically stripped down rules system which apparently involves nothing more than you rolling attacks and damage until one side or the other dies, BY YOURSELF.  You're either writing a novel, in which case, there seems little point in bothering with the dice, or you're monsterbating, defined as one guy sitting down with a bunch of dice and rolling them against each other to little purpose.

If you find that kind of basically doing comparative arithmetic on your own fun, more power to you - but if you want to be independently creative, why not write a novel, and if you want to play D&D, why not... play D&D?

Either way, there's not a lot of support to be found here.
I know it might not be right to add anything in here that isn't really randomly offensive, but with the crippling set of limitations Hypnotism seems like the best option.  Screw optimizing themselves, use the monsters as weapons.  Someone said earlier that monsters can have very rough MBAs of their own, and they were right.  The worst case scenario you force a friend with low will to smack someone for you.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Actually, the best fantasy stories of all time (Tolkien's Middle Earth books) don't go into great detail about Gandalf's spells. They pretty much just say that he uses magic. Even in the movies, it's not like he's alternating between fireball, lightning bolt, magic missile, cone of cold, meteor shower, polymorph self...etc.

Eh, but I'd use this same argument against what you're trying to do.  Gandalf didn't whittle away at things with at-will spells.  He just occasionally busted out something that completely shifted the momentum of the battle.  Pretty much exactly like wizard daily powers.