M13 draft 6!

614 posts / 0 new
Last post
Time for the 6th M13 draft and this will probably be the last one since by the time this gets done Return to Ravnica should be out and we'll be drafting that!

Anyway...

Pack 1:

Jace, Memory Adept
Rewind
Gem of Becoming
Flames of the Firebrand
Essence Scatter
Yeva's Forcemage
Smelt
Murder
Searing Spear
Sentinel Spider
Duress
Erase
Unsummon
Servant of Nefarox

Is Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis a mistake? You just posted a DLCR thread for it, so I assume it accidentally got there from that somehow.
Is Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis a mistake? You just posted a DLCR thread for it, so I assume it accidentally got there from that somehow.

Yeah my fault.  It has been fixed
It's just Jace.
I think its easily between Jace, Memory Adept and Flames of the Firebrand. I'm going to go with Jace because I like building around things, and he just wins you the game. Also if someone takes the Yeva's Forcemage we can expect to wheel Unsummon or Essence Scatter probably, since this pack is terribly strong.
Is there ever a pack where you don't pick Jace? Mill is hard enough to beat, Jace looks like a 2 turn clock.
Jace, although he isn't really a "build around me card", he is essentially a resolve a win card with a few caveats.

This is an incredibly deep pack though, Murder, Spear, Flames, Spider, Essence Scatter 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Wow this pack is stacked.

If the Jace weren't here I'd probably go with Flames, though it'd be tough.

Thankfully we cracked a Jace lol
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Jace, although he isn't really a "build around me card", he is essentially a resolve a win card with a few caveats.

This is an incredibly deep pack though, Murder, Spear, Flames, Spider, Essence Scatter 

By build around I meant play a more defensive deck, not play mill. With Jace you want a deck that can stall the game out and give you a higher chance of drawing it, you also want a deck that can protect it for at least a turn.
Jace! And we can get the next 2 players down in Green and Red likely with Sentinal Spider and Searing Spear.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

I think we can windmill jace and be happy with that.
Jace and we are almost assuredly wheeling a good Blue playable (a counterspell or the Unsummon).
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Oh hey we get to pick a Jace.
I've never played with Jace. Should be interesting.
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
Herp Derp, windmill slam.
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
jace. this pack is pretty incredible.
It sucks knowing our pack is going to give out so much. 
Jace, although I've had poor luck with him before.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Jace, because I'm mainstream
Jace sounds good.
Jace, because I'm mainstream

^ Mainstream hipster.
Jace.  Best Planeswalker is best.  (Yes, Ajani's great, but in a 40-card deck, milling 10 or 20 per turn is a very short clock.)

Thinking ahead, the other cards in Jace decks are usually slower, but there are many ways to do that--defense, control, or removal are all viable.
I'm hoping we can pick up some Farseeks and go UG ramp. Cause what's better than a Jace? A turn 3/4 Jace ;)
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Encrust?

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
I kind of like the ring, but that's purely because it's harder to get the ring than the Primal Huntbeast and those two things spell WIN.

But I think with Jace, we may as well just lean hard on blue and ride it till the end, since this is the exception to Mind Sculpt.  Jace is the reason to high pick sculpts and Entrancers, and there is no doubt we're playing blue, so...

Encrust
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
Elvish Visionary for me.

It's a 2 drop which is pretty important, gets us closer to our Jace, and sticks around to chump
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I feel dirty second picking an Encrust, even if we did crack a Jace.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
duty-bound dead is the best card in the pack.
I say Visionary as well.
Dragonskull if playing for one's standard deckbuilding or trades.

Cards to consider:  Ring of KaloniaDuty-Bound DeadEncrust, Elvish VisionarySign in Blood.

Ring of Kalonia commits to , it's not flexible like Evos or Xathrid.  Duty-Bound Dead is a solid draft pick for defensive decks, which is good for Jace.  Encrust may be weaker than the others, but is in color.  Elvish Visionary is nice, essentially a token and card acceleration, plus the Primadox plan is fun.  Sign in Blood is nice acceleration but requires commitment.

I'm most drawn to Encrust and Visionary.  On-color removal versus acceleration toward Jace...

Encrust.
Provocatour; and start taking green and using it as a fight planner.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

I agree Duty-bound Dead is the strongest card in the pack... but since we know Jace will be played no matter what I think the Encrust pick is safer.
Duty-Bound Dead. We're not second-picking Encrust, it's so bad. It'll wheel from this pack.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
If just one other person is hoping on the Visionary bandwagon then I too will pick Duty Bound Dead, as i just can't really justify 2nd picking an Encrust.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Duty-bound dead. Encrust has about a 50% chance of rotating.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Encrust. I'd rather force blue so we don't have to splash for a double-blue spell.
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
It's between Duty-Bound Dead and Elvish Visionary. I think Duty is the better card and the correct pick, but I feel like there's never a bad deck or situation for an Elvish Visionary.
duty bound dead