Player dirty tricks and clever tactics

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
What are some of the tactics that you, as a player have used. It could be anything like carrying around sand to throw in an enemies eys. Keep a torch so you can pretend there is a fire somewhere.

At the top of my head one of my better one's were to go to a blacksmith a get a fairly cheap hammer with a wooden hilt. I'd later break the hilt and return "angry". I'd scream at the tpop of my lungs saying i want my money back and i'm going to besmirch the name of the blacksmith for giving me a defective weapon. He'd try to get me to calm down and we settle on a agreement that he would get me a more valuable item maybe a magic weapon or high quality stuff for free if i told no onw about it.

Another is using prestidigitation to cloak myself in flames and hide my staff. Run into a building screaming in pain until everyone ran out. I would then let in my allies and we continue inside the buidling.
Another is using prestidigitation to cloak myself in flames and hide my staff. Run into a building screaming in pain until everyone ran out. I would then let in my allies and we continue inside the buidling.

That's cool, until someone suggests actually attempting to put you out (y'know, instead of letting the building burn down because of you.) 

That's cool, until someone suggests actually attempting to put you out (y'know, instead of letting the building burn down because of you.) 

Most tricks only work once, because then the DM sees them coming. Another one is to keep a flask full of lantern oil and something small but flamable. Then do the circus fire breather technique for a make-shift fire breath attack. (this may work a few times before the DM finds a way around it)

Be a druid, or a shape changer in general. And be able to walk around undetected. Be a simple bird flying in the sky to scout. Walk aroud as a stray dog. 

Or be a kenku bard and pretty much be able to mimick anything. So really. You can bluff your way out of anything. IF you need more bluff, you simply snag a background with bonus to bluff You can then feign death.

Or for laughs you can tear your clothes, and pretend to be a homeless guy figting in the nude and offering to drag people behind buildings.

We did that for a little tournament. A simple dice roll plus your check for attack and defence. The naked homeless guy almost beat someone. Only lost because he made a saving throw because of dm good will. But it was hilarious since he had no bonuses. It was his stat modifiers plus his rolls that kept beating our swordmages. And a guy trying to remove your pants in a fight. Call it dirty, but you can't beat that.

We were laughing from the situation. Especially when he almost lost.

So theres your trick. Instead of an attack, rip down the enemies pants and shift back. they would have to spend a minor action to pull their pants up and another move action to get to you. Effectively buying you a turn that you get to attack from range.

Can even avoid a dragons breath attack for going around the corner and doing the one man pants party. Maybe take half damage when you look around the corner to peek.

Alright. What did you excpect from a bunch of guys playing the game. That when put int he same room our mental age drops 10 years. But its so unpredictable the dm can't see it coming. 
All you need to do is carry a rock. Spells like prestidigitation fail, and the shadows aren't always in your favor, but a rock thrown into the corner to distract those demonic guards? Works every time!

Although a knife to shove in someone's back never hurts. Can that be considered "clever"? 

Your friendly neighborhood Revenant Minotaur Half-Blooded Dragonborn Fighter Hybrid Barbarian Multiclassing into Warlord

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1223957875/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

All you need to do is carry a rock. Spells like prestidigitation fail, and the shadows aren't always in your favor, but a rock thrown into the corner to distract those demonic guards? Works every time!

Yeah, right.
goblinscomic.com/11272006/

A cheap tactic for what?  I tend to carry lots of pitons and a crowbar with me.  Wedge pitons into objects to keep something shut or open.  And crowbar because it's usefull.
I've had a fairly high leveled wizard in 3.5 that used to cause caveins because he thought it was funny.
I have a Kenku right now with bluff trained.  When he fights a monster, he mimics their voice to say the exact opposite of what the person said.  And then shouts around the corner saying there are no intruders around.
Prestidigitation is an awesome spell.  Used for anything you need.  Hot soup, chilled wine, greasing the squeaky door hinge.
Grab a great bow and stand farther than anyone can reach you in 5 turns.
If you're fighting lower level baddies such as goblins or kobolds...Prestidigitation on a sword so that it looks like a high level magical fire sword. Watch the little buggers run in fear. Unfortunately, they are kind of like Star Wars sandpeople...
Sand-people easily scare, but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers.
 I was a ranger up in the trees shooting down at the enemies below in a clearing while the rest of the team went in as normal. After every shot I'd disappear behind another tree so they could never find me. Started freaking em out cuz they though there was like 10 of us up there.
"Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this." Check out my MTG blog, called Poor Man's Mana. http://cheapmana.blogspot.com/
When I played 2e, one of the groups I played with while I was in the Army used to like to take small boxes, trap them with firetraps and hook them up to trip wires to use as quasi-claymore mines.