3 Chromatic Lantern

4 Sulfur Falls
4 Glacial Fortress
3 Steam Vents
2 Hallowed Fountain
8 Island
3 Mountain
2 Plains

Did some testing last night, this deck ended up being a lot better than I expected. Could use some work, probably doesn't need lanterns, but its a definite start.

WUb Build (aka Esper):

4 Lingering Souls
2 Drogskol Reaver
3 Snapcaster Mage
1 Pack Rat

3 Ultimate Price
3 Syncopate
4 Cyclonic Rift
1 Unburial Rites
3 Azorious Charm
2 Detention Sphere

3 Jace, Architect of Thought

2 Supreme Verdict
3 Terminus

2 Underworld Connections

4 Isolated Chapel
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Swamp
6 Plains
4 Island

This was something me and others testing brainstormed about, and I think it has serious potential. Pack Rat with Underworld Connections might become the real deal.

(at)MrEnglish22

Of your two lists, I think the American Control List has the most potential given the leaks that we've been getting from Ravnica. Detain is ridiculous, and the Izzet have the counter spells and burn.

That said, I'd probably do some pretty significant changes.
First, I would take out the Chromatic Lanterns. With Rav and Innistrad duals, by the time turn 3 comes around you should be set. Not to mention that the better play would probably be a detain creature or leaving up counter mana. I'm also not sold on Goblin Electromancer at 4.

I can't foresee a situation in which Counterflux and Izzet Charm won't serve you well. The new Azorious boardwipe also seems a good fit. Additionally, the detain mechanic will provide a good way to manage creatures.

Pithing Needle is also back.

Shpinx's Revelation seems like a good one or two of. An Angel of Serenity would probably be a good finisher.

I've also had a lot of fun with Grixis control, and between the Izzet and the Rakdos, I think it will continue to do well.
http://thedailydungeon.blogspot.com/ My Daily D&D blog - cities, dungeons, NPC's, and more
Detain dudes dont really belong outside a tempo deck. Lantern is mostly there to ramp mana, and there might ve better options. Disperse is better in more situations than crummerflux, because you shouldnt need to be worried about counters much if at all. Pithing Needle lol. Izzet Charm is good but id rather have raw power over flexibility. Sphinxes revelations is too slow, see blue suns zenith. Electromancer is there to help overload and allows for super important T3 Wrath of Taco Bell. Also synergistic with Entreat.

And i hate posting on my phone.

(at)MrEnglish22

T3 Wrath of Taco Bell.

I just had tea come up my nose from laughing so hard. 

Yeah, Pithing Needle is a SB card. 

Esper:  I don't see how the Azorious Charm is going to help you.  Put attacking or blocking creature on top of library?  Draw a card?  Lifelink creatures? (I could be wrong on the options)  I just don't think it is doing a lot of good here.  That lone pack rat looks, uh lonely.  Maybe Augur of Bolas?  His fat toughness should help keep Jace safe for a while.  He doesn't help with miracles, but he's pretty decent.

American:  Disperse isn't standard after rotation.  It was in Scars.  Uh, Silent Departure?  Yeah, probably not....not sure what could go here.  Maybe 2 more Devestation Tides?  It seems like you need another win con here.  Thundermaw Hellkite?

I don't like the French list very much, playing big game is well and good, but Overcharge + Snapcaster seems like Nonbo City (and I'm guessing that's semi-intentional on Wizard's part), and in order to remedy that, you need your Electromancers to survive.

With Esper I'd recommend Staff of Nin. If you really want to make a Reaver control deck though, Chalice of Life is a silly necessity. I'm fairly iffy on Cyclonic Rift preboard when you have both Supreme Verdict and Terminus.

IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
I see the new Niv being a reasonably good finisher if you're in need of another.
Awkward moment, the Disperse were supposed to be Dissipate, the counterspell. Works really nicely with Electromancer, giving you ACTUAL COUNTERSPELLS! I just had a mental failure at that moment. Edited main post. And I agree that Snappy isn't that great with Overload spells, but most of them are still worth casting for their regualr loaded costs (instant speed AEther Adept isn't terrible, nor is a smaller FTK). I wanted the Snaps more for flexibility, but they may just be better as win-cons.

I agree that the first build could use more than just Entreat, but I don't like many of the finishers we have. Drogskol Reaver is so freaking powerful and so underrated right now though. If you get to hit just once you end up getting sooooo much value. Especially if its post wipe. Its not that you need to build around the reaver, because he's so good by himself. Think of it as a 6/5 lifelink that draws two cards every time he deals damage.

Thinking that Cyclonic Rift in any number above 1 or 2 in mainboard is overkill when combined with heavy wraths.

And people keeps saying "Oh look Pithing Needle." Its not that great. Its OKAY on a good day, because decks have so many angles now that making a single PW a dead card isn't that big a deal.

As for Pack Rat, he's something I just want to try out. Martin Juza said on Twitter it reminded him of Bitterblossom, and while I didn't aggre at first, the more I think the more I see it. Especially now that we have Phyrexian Arena. It'll probably be lackluster, but it could also take off to a whole new world.

(at)MrEnglish22

Sign In to post comments