Where is Chris Perkins?

I am wondering on what Wotc RPG department is Chris Perkins working at the moment and if or how is he involved in the D&D Next creation in any manner...
I enjoyed 4E very much - a game in which he was thoroughly involved and helped create.
I 'd like some info on his whereabouts from anybody that happens to know anything and/or from some moderator or person of the Wotc staff.
I don't know him.
I don't know him.

That was very smart. /rolleyes/

In an article he posted a couple of days ago, he is still listed as the "Senior Producer" for D&D. The article is HERE. It says he leads the other designers. Of course, this is the same block of text that has been at the bottom of his articles for quite some time now.
DMing.
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
Honestly, I can't make heads or tails out of any of the WotC official titles. I'm sure their job descriptions are very specific, but the titles all smack of sameness to me.
In an article he posted a couple of days ago, he is still listed as the "Senior Producer" for D&D. The article is HERE. It says he leads the other designers. Of course, this is the same block of text that has been at the bottom of his articles for quite some time now.

I see.
Still, it's nice to see him being active in writing articles even if there isn't any info so far on him working on D&D Next.
Chris has a regular weekly column on the D&D website, The DM Experience, which offers DMing advice which, while generated from anecdotes from his 4th edition campaigns, is almost always useful for any edition.

He also continues to DM for the celebrity Acquisitions Inc. sessions featuring the folks from Penny Arcade and Wil Wheaton. 

All around helpful simian

crazy_monkey, do you know if we'll be getting another compilation of The DM Experience for 2012?
Chris has a regular weekly column on the D&D website, The DM Experience, which offers DMing advice which, while generated from anecdotes from his 4th edition campaigns, is almost always useful for any edition.

He also continues to DM for the celebrity Acquisitions Inc. sessions featuring the folks from Penny Arcade and Wil Wheaton. 

In a way, WoTC is paying Chris to be the best DM money can buy, and you know what...I agree with that strategy.   He is a force of personality, and a great ambassador for the game.  New players and DMs can learn so much from watching his games and listening or reading his commentary.  Heck, old pros can learn too.

A Brave Knight of WTF - "Wielder of the Sword of Balance"

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

In a way, WoTC is paying Chris to be the best DM money can buy, and you know what...I agree with that strategy.   He is a force of personality, and a great ambassador for the game.  New players and DMs can learn so much from watching his games and listening or reading his commentary.  Heck, old pros can learn too.

Listening and watching Chris is really how I re-learned to play (more specifically DM) the game after a near 20 year absence.
crazy_monkey, do you know if we'll be getting another compilation of The DM Experience for 2012?

I don't know, but I can tell you I certainly hope so.  I am also a huge fan of Chris Perkins' DMing advice. 

I don't know, but I can tell you I certainly hope so.  I am also a huge fan of Chris Perkins' DMing advice. 

Hey crazy_monkey, can you tell us if Chris is involved in the design of 5E?

The short answer is that the entire D&D team is involved in some capacity with D&D Next.  The long answer is something I will fetch for you and post next week.

The short answer is that the entire D&D team is involved in some capacity with D&D Next.  The long answer is something I will fetch for you and post next week.

Thanks that would be nice. I´m an admirer of his column, I´m looking forward to see more stuff from him.
Chris Perkins was not mentioned directly on the team working on DDN when originally announced, but Greg Blisland also said the whole D&D team is contributing to the game, so i assume Chris does participate in some fashion.

I particularly likes his frenchie Drow NPCs :P

Welcome To The Group
Welcome to the playtesting group for the next iteration of Dungeons & Dragons. I’m Greg Bilsland, a producer in D&D R&D, and I’ll be coordinating the playtesting ahead.

Before I discuss what’s to come, I’d like to introduce you to the team working on your game.

Name                            Role                                Twitter                        
Mike Mearls                Team Lead                           @mikemearls
Greg Bilsland              Team Producer                     @gregbilsland

Monte Cook                Design Team Lead                @montejcook
Bruce Cordell              Designer                              @brucecordell
Robert J. Schwalb       Designer                               @rjschwalb

Jeremy Crawford        Devevelopment Team Lead
Tom LaPille                Developer                              @TomLaPilleMagic
Rodney Thompson     Developer                              @wotc_rodney
Miranda Horner          Editor                                    @mirandahorner

Of course, this group represents only the most actively involved folks on the team. The whole D&D team is contributing to the game and providing feedback.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Chris Perkins was not mentioned directly on the team working on DDN when originally announced, but Greg Blisland also said the whole D&D team is contributing to the game, so i assume Chris does participate in some fashion.

I particularly likes his frenchie Drow NPCs :P

Welcome To The Group
Welcome to the playtesting group for the next iteration of Dungeons & Dragons. I’m Greg Bilsland, a producer in D&D R&D, and I’ll be coordinating the playtesting ahead.

Before I discuss what’s to come, I’d like to introduce you to the team working on your game.

Name                            Role                                Twitter                        
Mike Mearls                Team Lead                           @mikemearls
Greg Bilsland              Team Producer                     @gregbilsland

Monte Cook                Design Team Lead                @montejcook
Bruce Cordell              Designer                              @brucecordell
Robert J. Schwalb       Designer                               @rjschwalb

Jeremy Crawford        Devevelopment Team Lead
Tom LaPille                Developer                              @TomLaPilleMagic
Rodney Thompson     Developer                              @wotc_rodney
Miranda Horner          Editor                                    @mirandahorner

Of course, this group represents only the most actively involved folks on the team. The whole D&D team is contributing to the game and providing feedback.

Given that he runs a regular game (at least one) for the employees there - I suspect his major role is playtesting. 

I also suspect his opinions about how things work from the DMs side get considerable weight, even if he doesn't have official status as a 5N developer.

Carl
When they did ask a DM, two of the people on the panel with him, both DnD staff, were in seperate games with him as DM. I think one of them had to stop with work getting in the way. Funnily enough.
Ant Farm

I also suspect his opinions about how things work from the DMs side get considerable weight, even if he doesn't have official status as a 5N developer.
Carl

The 4e dmg table revisions came from his own DM method of simple damage increases by level and role so that it was similar math to the level based stat block to make it easy on the fly. He had a later version that was a wider spreadsheet for every dmg die how to hit the target number, whereas official version can't decide between a d6 and a d8 when they should have listed it for all the die but I guess that would not fit into the books.

Simple things like that where a developer might think a monster AC and dmg makes logical sense for a video game to be a complex formula based on the rest of the monster stats and armour and weapon stats, like for a PC; but he steps in (hopefully) say look you idiots I don't want to do a PC build for every monster no matter how much 'logical' sense it makes.   Flat simple tables and formulas easy to remember easy to run.

He was at some of the Gencon dev panels on next.
Thanks "crazy monkey" and "plaguescarred" for all the info.

So, from what I gathered, Perkins still does run a 4E game for that group of internet people and he still writes DM articles for the weekly column.

Apparently, he is not involved with 5E/Dnd Next.

Still, Chris did a great run during the 2007-early 2012 era with his system designing, world-building, advertising videos, RPing articles and all the advise and tips he gave for our game.
Chris Perkins also run two 4E games (Mondays & Wednesdays) in his homebrew world of Iomandra, as discussed in his The Dungeon Master Experience's weekly column

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Sign In to post comments