Drow Fighting Style - Best Class?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I want to make a Drow striker that uses a Rapier (best light blade, AFAIK?) and Hand Crossbow and the Drow Fighting Style feat.  What would be the best class to do this with?  I was thinking Ranger, but just wanted to get COs advice before I started down that path.

Once I have the class chosen, I should be able to use the wealth of knowledge in the handbooks from there.

EDIT: For more input, it's supposed to be a stealthy assassin-type build.  Inspiration is Zer0 from Borderlands 2 if anyone is interested. 
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
Ranger wouldn't entirely work how you imagine, because most of the REALLY GOOD melee powers require a melee weapon in each hand, which you won't be doing.  They still have melee powers which only require one melee weapon, but the pickings are slim.  Or you could mostly build around ranged attacks, which would still be quite serviceable because you could use them freely without eating opportunity attacks.  But that light blade would mostly be for show (and to prevent OAs), you would hardly ever attack with it.

A separate problem is that even though hand crossbow is a one-handed weapon, the reloading rules still require your other hand to be free to reload it.  However, that problem is solvable if you take the Two-Fisted Shooter feat, which lets you load it one-handed.

That feat also lets you use the crossbow as an off-hand weapon, and grants a free RBA with the crossbow if you crit with the other weapon.  Actually that's a paraphrase, the real words are "When you score a critical hit and have a loaded hand crossbow in your off hand, you can make a ranged basic attack with that weapon as a free action", which implies that the crit would have to be with the other weapon, because otherwise the crossbow wouldn't be loaded after the crit, would it?

Because Two-Fisted Shooter is a rogue feat, this means you would either need to be or to MC rogue for it.  And you pretty much need that feat to make Drow Fighting Style worthwhile.

However, you might be able to talk your GM into allowing you to reload the hand crossbow without the other hand needing to be free, in which case you wouldn't necessarily need the Two-Fisted Shooter feat.  But then, you wouldn't be able to use the hand crossbow in your off hand, which would mean that you would need to use the light blade in your off-hand, which would mean that it would have to be a short sword instead of a rapier.  So all things considered, you probably want Two-Fisted Shooter anyway.
Be a Rogue. Daggermaster can get you a lot of crits for Two-Fisted Shooter, and the difference between d4 and d8 is not huge.
I would definitely go Rogue over Ranger. Rogue gives you access to melee and ranged attacks that are all Dex based, unlike the Ranger where your melee powers would be Str based.

Rogue is the traditional way to do it.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Definitely Rogue.  Ranger just doesn't work - to go melee, you need a second melee weapon, to go ranged you really, REALLY don't want to be spending a feat to use a hand crossbow instead of a Superior one - and the mixed-range builds rely on thrown weapons or they tend to suck.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Definitely Rogue.  Ranger just doesn't work - to go melee, you need a second melee weapon, to go ranged you really, REALLY don't want to be spending a feat to use a hand crossbow instead of a Superior one - and the mixed-range builds rely on thrown weapons or they tend to suck.

What are you talking about?  If you're a drow it's the same cost and besides that, IT DOESN'T MATTER because rangers don't give a flying flap about the [w] size anyway!

Also, ranger handbook has Ruthless Hunter as sky-blue for drow. Tongue Out 
No, but they do give a crap about accuracy, Superior Xbows are +3 ;)

And, perhaps more to the point, they give a crap when the [W] could be twice as large.  Going from d6 (3.5 damage) to d12 (6.5 damage) or d10 (5.5 damage) per [W] is going on for as good as weapon focus in some cases.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
what's a situation where Drow fighting style is useful?
The hand crossbow requires two hands to load, so holding a light blade at the same time requires some trickery.
And why in the world would you want to fire a hand crossbow in melee if you are holding a lightblade?
I can't think of any situation where I would use it.
Anyway rogue for sure, but I think a rogue would prefer holding two daggers most of the time.
what's a situation where Drow fighting style is useful?
The hand crossbow requires two hands to load, so holding a light blade at the same time requires some trickery.
And why in the world would you want to fire a hand crossbow in melee if you are holding a lightblade?
I can't think of any situation where I would use it.
Anyway rogue for sure, but I think a rogue would prefer holding two daggers most of the time.

Look at the feat Two-Fisted Shooter.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Thanks guys.  Rogue it is
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.