Magic user, or as i call it " the Predator effect "

Hi ,

I have  an issue about the Speciality " Magic User "

I understand this is still a beta test but the description seems to be a bit vague, it says the user has 2 cantrips that can cast ,only prerequisite is Int, however theres no limitation or explanation to this "power" , is kept very general , and in a discussion with my DM i noticed that this leaves an open field on iterpretation, is that an infinite casting?, is at will? is 2 times per rest?

i m askin if anybody could provide me a solution or suggestions or ideas.

Cantrips are defined as a specific group of spell which can be cast at will, so yes, the Magic User specialty lets you use those granted cantrips at will.
Exactly--Cantrips are at-will, so Magic User allows anyone to cast two Cantrips at-will.
No calling something the predator effect unless they introduced an invisibility/camouflage spell ... nope not allowed to use that term.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

I'm actually really curious as to how you came up with the title for this thread and why you thought it was applicable.
I'm actually really curious as to how you came up with the title for this thread and why you thought it was applicable.

"Magic user, or as I call it 'Home Alone 2...'", makes about as much sense
My two copper.

"Magic user, or as I call it 'Home Alone 2...'", makes about as much sense

I think he means that the rules are obfuscated (even though they're not).  Though the rules being lost in New York would also have worked for his point, yes.

Basically vancian spells casters are limited by daily selections. This is already being eroded with the use of rituals. If you add speciality schools (traditions) on top of that, then you have the effect of a potentional unknown power swing, or predator effect of something catching you by surprise (as a DM). Add mutliclassing, and it may swing even more in the direction of casters using their powers all day long, or just a greater potential for abuse. My only concern is for martial characters niche being further eroded, so my answer to that is to add more items to them in regards to stances, styles, maneuvers, or even daily effects.

In general, I would approach class development in layers. So you start off with general class definitions and features, and when you add a new set of abilities to one class to further specialize, then you immediately look at the other classes to determine the power creep that is created.

Just imagine: a dark forest, some foliage, the night's approaching.
Silence.
Then, suddenly, two evil red lines glowing in the dark.
*PHEW* something hits unerringly and the wizard of the group falls to the ground.
The archer tries to hide but lost initiative and soon gets RayOfFrosted to death. Bad news for the fighter...

...it was a halfling/Thief 3/Magic User (Magic Missile/Ray of Frost) with his familiar, a mouse, "mounted" on his shoulder, still smoking Laughing

(yes, those aren't touch spells but that's how we (I'm Piersilvius's DM) imagined the scene :P)

...or maybe it was just an angry elven farmer who wasn't too happy to see strangers.

I wonder how many elven children takes to kill a Balor  Laughing

Mindstorming and ideas on how to tweak the Wizard class (hp, AC, class features):
[And so, you chose to be a wizard...]

Silence.
*PHEW* something hits unerringly and the wizard of the group falls to the ground.
The archer tries to hide but lost initiative and soon gets RayOfFrosted to death. Bad news for the fighter...

...it was a halfling/Thief 3/Magic User (Magic Missile/Ray of Frost) with his familiar, a mouse, "mounted" on his shoulder, still smoking Laughing

(yes, those aren't touch spells but that's how we (I'm Piersilvius's DM) imagined the scene :P)

...or maybe it was just an angry elven farmer who wasn't too happy to see strangers.

It just make me wonder why the rogue wasted his time with MM or RoF when he could have been doing 5d6 with his sling.

Carl

Silence.

It just make me wonder why the rogue wasted his time with MM or RoF when he could have been doing 5d6 with his sling.

Carl

Doesn't he get sneak attack added to his magical attacks?

Not to Magic Missile, but to Ray of Frost, yes.  However, he'd have a 2+Dex bonus to hit with the Sling and deal 5d6+Dex, whereas his Ray of Frost would have a 0+Int bonus to hit and deal 5d6+3.  Unless you built your Rogue crazy, your Dex will be better than your Int, and even if you did build it crazy, you wouldn't have an Int mod that's more than 2 points better than your Dex--that's crazy.

Silence.

Carl

Potentially depends on DM interpretation.  FOr example - some argue that since MM is an autohit attack it can't have advantage (just as it can't ever have disadvantage - which made by wizard very happy when fighting a medusa) and others argue that it is not an attack.  One could also argue that since we are dealilng with an incomplete ruleset - we really don't know if they will be able to sneak attack with spells.

But I'd just be surprised if he attack bonus or his damage was better with the RoF than it is with his sling.

But I guess that depends on the ability scores.

Carl         

Sign In to post comments