Question about "Reach"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I had a peak at the Tyranny of Goblins pack and the Horned Devil's Reach ability caused some confusion. It is clear that he can attack minis 2 squares away, BUT

a) Can the other minis attack him, too?

b) Does he reduce the speed of enemy minis 2 squares away to 1 (and vice versa)?

His ability reads "Reach 2 (Creatures 2 squares away count as adjacent to this creature.)". It doesn't say whether this only applies to his own attacks or other minis' attacks as well. It also doesn't say anything about movement restrictions.

In the Star Wars Miniatures Game Melee Reach only counted for the purpose of this mini's attacks, but other minis weren't really adjacent. Since this isn't the same game the wording on Horned Devil is not exactly clear to me.

Any idea anyone?
His ability reads "Reach 2 (Creatures 2 squares away count as adjacent to this creature.)". It doesn't say whether this only applies to his own attacks or other minis' attacks as well. It also doesn't say anything about movement restrictions.

Without an official response, I'd probably stick to that word.
My best guess is this is the top contender for eratta in this set. ;)
I played against this piece at Gen Con, and the judge there said that it means that creatures that move within two squares need to stop (due to being adjacent) to the Horned Devil.  He can attack creatures two squares away.

For these creatures two squares away, they need to spend another move in order to move one square closer, then they can attack.

This is just repeating what is says above, but I figured it might help.
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com
Great question guys. 

The adjacency granted by Reach was only supposed to apply to melee attacks from the Horned Devil. It was never meant to interfere with movement, nor was it supposed to allow creatures 2 spaces away to attack the Horned Devil. Sorry for the confusion. 

We are going to errata the card to make the following change:

Reach 2(This creature can make melee attacks against creatures 2 squares away.)

It should be reflected in the official FAQ and errata shortly.
Chris Dupuis Tabletop Games Designer Dungeons & Dragons Twitter: gameguruchris
Should probably state the obvious that is missing from current melee attack rules too, i.e. creature has to have LOS. Rules do mention walls blocking melee attacks, but now there are more obstructing 'curtains' etc. it would be good to clarify that 100%, since LOS rules state they 'affect ranged attacks'.
Should probably state the obvious that is missing from current melee attack rules too, i.e. creature has to have LOS. Rules do mention walls blocking melee attacks, but now there are more obstructing 'curtains' etc. it would be good to clarify that 100%, since LOS rules state they 'affect ranged attacks'.

I dunno I sorta feel like the giant devil might just beat down the door or sweep his chain through the undergrowth.  But it'd be nice to get it clarified one way or another.

I think that the "Distances and Counting" rules on page 13 of the rulebook covers this pretty well. "Some game effects, such as [...] creatures' powers [...] specify a distance in squares..." "The acting creature must have line of sight to the target unless otherwise specified..."

I only happen to know this 'cause I played for the first time today, and the issue of the Chain Devil using Reach through the door came up.

Sign In to post comments