Lair Assault (and where should I be discussing it?)

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
We have the latest Lair Assault packet and the guy who will be DMing it for us is telling us that we are only allowed to make Drow characters.  Is this true?  With all of the options available, we can only use one race?  Well, two races: he said Revenent Drow are allowed as well.

That seems really stupid, in my opinion.  I have enjoyed the last two Lair Assaults.  I won't be playing this one if it's Drow-only. 
We have the latest Lair Assault packet and the guy who will be DMing it for us is telling us that we are only allowed to make Drow characters.  Is this true?  With all of the options available, we can only use one race?  Well, two races: he said Revenent Drow are allowed as well.

That seems really stupid, in my opinion.  I have enjoyed the last two Lair Assaults.  I won't be playing this one if it's Drow-only. 

This Lair Assault has a very strong story focus. The story and one of the mechanics of the challenge makes absolutely no sense unless the vast majority of the party is Drow. Lair Assaults, in my experience, are even more "pick up group" than Encounters. As such, it is far easier to just say "everyone must be either a Drow, or a Revenant with Drow Past Life" than it is to say "at most, only X characters may be non-Drow."

Lair assault includes any official 4e material, and all races are allowed.
The current season of Lair Assault: Kill The Wizard has no Racial restriction at all in the Creating A Character info section of the website.

[sblock]
Creating a Character
Our most skilled players spoke, and we listened. When they’re tackling the deadliest fights in 4th Edition, they want options. Unlike D&D Encounters and other shared-world campaigns, D&D Lair Assault allows players to utilize the entire breadth of the 4th Edition rules. Any legal character build of the appropriate level, using options from official Wizards products, is permissible in D&D Lair Assault. A great way to sort through the rules and make effective characters is through the Character Builder online tool available to D&D Insider subscribers.

Yes, that means all those books, both old and new, are resources for players to create the most deadly team of adventurers possible. They can pull out an old favorite from the Player’s Handbook, grab something from the latest releases like Dungeon Survival Handbook, or augment their options with rules from Dragon. If it’s a 4th Edition rules source printed by Wizards, it’s legal for play.

Gearing Up for Danger
Each D&D Lair Assault challenge will specify a level. This fifth D&D Lair AssaultKill the Wizard, is 8th level. Players bring characters of the challenge’s level to your scheduled event to participate. Characters higher or lower level than the challenge’s level are not allowed.

We use straightforward rules to equip characters for their deadly battles. Each character receives one magic item of one level higher than their level (level + 1), one of their level (level + 0), and one of one level lower than their level (level – 1). In addition, characters receive gold pieces equal to the value of one magic item of one level lower than their level (level – 1) to buy other equipment they think they’ll need. Each character may have no more than two consumable items (like potions or magic ammunition) equal to or less than the challenge’s level, and no more than one rare magic item. Note that players may equip their characters with magic items that are less than the stated levels if they so choose.

So, to use our 8th level example above, each character would have one 7th level, one 8th level and one 9th level magic item, plus 2,600 gold pieces to spend on other equipment (both mundane and magical).

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I just confirmed (looking at the actual Lair Assault packet) and this Lair Assault does require all PCs to be Drow or Drow Revenants.

I understand it has something to do with the story of the Lair Assault, but who plays Lair Assaults for the story? 
I'd look at the spoiler in Plaguescarred's post again.

Perhaps you are actually talking about encounters? If that is the case the races are restricted to Drow, Human, Kobold, Svirfneblin, Dwarf, Goblin, and Half-Orc.
I know when i playtested it a few months ago it was for Drow Character only. I didn't see the final product yet so i can't tell if these restrictions remained in place or not, but the Creating A Character info of the website doesn't say this challenge is for Drow character only.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Plague, I did look at the packet before I made my last post.  It says under Character Creation that PCs must be Drow or Drow Revenant.

As I said, this is stupid because who cares about the story of a Lair Assault?  If they want to make a dumb limitation, they should use it for Encounters, where at least people are going to listen to the story somewhat.  With Lair Assault, it's all about completing the Challenge. 
Ha i see so the Create A Character section of the website should specify that then. 

WoTC should update the Lair Assault page so it can properly inform participants in advance. 

I've let Greg know and opened a ticket with CustServ [#120914-000729]

Yan
Montréal, Canada

As I said, this is stupid because who cares about the story of a Lair Assault?

Well...

As you prepare, we wanted to set the stage for what you’ll soon be facing! Chris Perkins and Mike Shea designed our 5th D&D Lair Assault, Kill the Wizard -- where an elf wizard has built a construct with a single purpose: the destruction of the drow. This discovery has led the drow houses of Menzoberranzan to forge an alliance and send a "murder squad" to kill the wizard and destroy his sinister creation.

They are trying to pimp the latest campaign setting; also it would seem one hell of a stretch to have this shakey alliance of houses utilize anyone other than drow. Finally, if they're trying to set up a challenge, why can't they build it around a few specific races? I hate to bring up video games, but I've played plenty with some sort of 'extra' mode that limits your options heavily for the sake of being difficult.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
My group discussed it and the DM is letting us ignore the drow only limitation. It's silly for lair assault anyway where you need everything you can get.
It allows revenants.

Full.

Stop.

What else do you need? 
My group discussed it and the DM is letting us ignore the drow only limitation. It's silly for lair assault anyway where you need everything you can get.

Consider, for a moment, that part of the challenge is making a party of all Drow that can succeed. By allowing other races, the DM may be allowing you guys to do the LAir Assault in "easy mode."

Consider, for a moment, that part of the challenge is making a party of all Drow that can succeed. By allowing other races, the DM may be allowing you guys to do the LAir Assault in "easy mode."

Dunno about that. So far weve had people get killed in encounter 1 and everyone basically just hurt enough to get finished off by owlbears in the second encounter by round two or three.
 By allowing other races, the DM may be allowing you guys to do the LAir Assault in "easy mode."

Ugh maybe for your party and DM...

With mine, we all kinda looked at eachother and said "Well if we have to be drow, then we are going to have to be rangers." The party we almost settled on was Ranger, Warlord, Wizard, Swordmage, and one wildcard. 3 out of 5 of us are power gamers. That party would stomp pretty much anything, and it was not what we thought of as a challange. So we asked the DM, and he was cool with us bring our more experimental characters. Many of these experimental hybrid/MC/WTF characters have never been put to a challange like lair assult, and its nice to see how these characters work when put to the test.
The drow restriction was really tough to work around for me... I like playing a heavily heal-based leader since my party often just migrates toward striker overload.

Thematically, this posed a problem as drow priestesses are generally not as heavily healer-based as other clerics. I didn't feel that a nature or spirit-based healer made much sense either. I also didn't want to be the loudmouthed bard that was singing all the time and giving away our position constantly as the high DEX strikers are sneaking up.

In the end I chose to be an Ardent, actually an Ardent/Battlemind Hybrid since we don't generally have a defender either. Male drow psionic healer/defender should make for an interesting experiment and at least I still get a boost to my CHA as a drow.

In the end I decided to take the Drow restriction and roll with it. If it ends up not working out, then I'm sure our DM may decide to relax the char creation rules. For now, though, I'd say that we need to just treat it like part of the challenge.
Is anyone else unable to update their Lair Assualt glory awards for the latest season on here?  I'm still seeing Spiderkiller as the most recent.
- Warlords! Join the 'Officer Country' Group! Join Grognards for 4e, the D&D that changed D&D.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

I don't see why making a drow character is so difficult.  Our DM has decided that our next campaign which starts in a month or so will take advantage of the Menzoberranzan book by being an all drow campaign.  

To prepare, we're already making characters.  Classes that work well with drow:  paladin, avenger, thief/rogue, cleric, invoker, ranger, hunter, sorcerer, warlock, and several more that don't get good feat support but have wis as a main stat.  And if you play a revenant drow, you can add battlemind to the list. 

In short, it's easy to fill any party role with a drow.  So what's the problem?
This is slightly off topic but in the forum for the current lair assault.  A friend of mine said that he read somewhere that there was errata for until end of encounter daily abilities.  Since the glossary does not have errata on this I was looking for input as to if I am DMing this correctly with the old way of 2 encounters but no short rest, meaning until end of encounter abilities drop after the 1st encounter.  Pleasse advise thank you.
A friend of mine said that he read somewhere that there was errata for until end of encounter daily abilities.  Since the glossary does not have errata on this I was looking for input as to if I am DMing this correctly with the old way of 2 encounters but no short rest, meaning until end of encounter abilities drop after the 1st encounter.  Pleasse advise thank you.

DMG p.41: 'Effects that last “until the end of the encounter” actually last about 5 minutes. That means they never carry over from one encounter to another, as long as those encounters are separated by a short rest. If characters use them outside combat, or plow through multiple encounters without taking a short rest, they enjoy the effect for a full 5 minutes.'

This is not errata, but rather is in the core rules.