Battle cleric's lore and shield proficiency

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'd like to take BCL as our DM has now extended our campaign where we can use Dragon article 400 and the power manuals but i don't currently have shield proficiency and am being told I need the proficiency feat to take advantage of the shield bonus from BCL. I also only have CON of 12 so to wear scale would I take any penalties apart from the -1 speed even though I don't meet CON requirement of 13 if I were to feat scale proficiency?
I'd like to take BCL as our DM has now extended our campaign where we can use Dragon article 400 and the power manuals but i don't currently have shield proficiency and am being told I need the proficiency feat to take advantage of the shield bonus from BCL. I also only have CON of 12 so to wear scale would I take any penalties apart from the -1 speed even though I don't meet CON requirement of 13 if I were to feat scale proficiency?

Whoever told you that is wrong. Battle Cleric's Lore has no prerequisites, therefore you do not need to take anything else to gain the benefit of it. When you select BCL, you gain the +2 Shield Bonus, without needing to use a shield at all. Similarly, you gain proficiency with Scale. You don't need to have or take anything else, you are now proficient with Scale, just like a PH1 Fighter would be. Your CON is irrelevant, you are proficient with Scale.

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

yep, you gain the benefits associated.  It's like your faith protects you from evil and makes your healing able to aid others in hitting evil stuff.  It's awesome like that !
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Battle Cleric's Lore is an Alternate Class Feature that has no Prequisit and that doesn't require Shield Proficiency. You can choose it in place of Healer’s Lore. Its just that the type bonus to AC you gain is a shield bonus.

Also, because you gain proficiency with Scale Armor you can wear it even if you don't meet the Scale Armor Proficiency Feat, as confirmed by the Player's Handbook FAQ:

Can a Fighter with a 12 Constitution still use scale armor?
The Armor Proficiency (Scale) feat requires a 13 Constitution, but all fighters gain proficiency with scale armor for free (regardless of the prerequisites).

Thanks much for the clarifications!
Sign In to post comments