Steam Tournament #4

238 posts / 0 new
Last post
Notice the lack of "1v1" in the title? This will be our first TWO-HEADED GIANT Tournament!

I'll update this post as we get closer to starting, but here's how this will work.

• Join The Planeswalking Dead Steam group.

• Due to popular request, this will be an expansion only tournament. None of the original release decks will be allowed. Please don't sign up if you don't plan on getting the expansion before the tournament starts. 

• In the spirit of Ravnica, each player must declare which expansion deck they'll use before the start of the tournament. You must remain loyal to that deck for the entire tourney. No switching!

• We'll begin the morning of September 20th.

• This will be a double-elimination event.

• SIGN UP: Both team members must report in with 1) Their Steam name. 2) Their partner's Steam name. 3) An awesome team name agreed upon by both members (for use in the tourney bracket).

• Due to the large number of ties due to absence in the last tournament, players should post in this thread when trying to contact absent opponents. If absent opponents do NOT post a reply in this thread by the round deadline, they automatically concede the match.

• The tournament will strictly follow the schedule shown below. Please do not enter if you suspect you'll be unable to adhere to it.

These dates show when each round will end and the next round begins. Consider each date to represent "the morning of" using Pacific Time. IE this is when I get to my computer in the morning and update the bracket for the next round. Again, please don't sign up for this tournament if you suspect it will be difficult to play under this schedule. Because this is a team event, 2HG partners should help their teammate stay on schedule, but each individual player is expected to make an effort to post regularly in this thread. In short, encourage your partners, but avoid speaking for your partners.

SIGN-UP LIST

Team Deathnote: Shin Hitokiri (Sepulchral Strength) & Garet Jax (Grinning Malice)
We Recycle: Wint3rSt0rm (Grinning Malice)Hebihime16 (Sepulchral Strength)
The Raging GoblinsFlush / minddrifter (Grinning Malice) & Ransome (Aura Servants)
Team Selizznyet: WiNGSPANTT (Mindstorms) & Destricted (Collective Might)
Wee Just Beat the Dragonauts!: PinkPutty (Sepulchral Strength) & Befuddle (Grinning Malice)
My Kids Are Better Than Me At MTG: Drogo (Sepulchral Strength) &  Finnsidious (Grinning Malice)

Ermahgerd Nrv Mrzzit: Wizards_Sean (Mindstorms) & Grunthex (Sepulchral Strength)
We Escaped The Fireswamp, Too!Ostgar (Sepulchral Strength) & easyone5 (Aura Servants)
Rent To Ownowensimring (Grinning Malice) & 4n0th1n9 (Mindstorms)
Team Feuchttuecher: wuarz (Sepulchral Strength) & Darlith92 (Grinning Malice)

THE BRACKET (Also found HERE)

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Do we have to state up front which decks we're using?  Are the rounds best 2 out of 3?  3 out of 5?  Can we switch decks in between matches during the round?
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
My Steam name: Shin Hitokiri
Partner Steam name: Garet Jax
Edit:  Team name: Team Deathnote / Guild: Golgari
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Those who break the rules are considered scum; but those who would betray and abandon even one of their friends, are worst than scum(Kakashi Hatake/Originally Obito Uchiha/Tobi).
Do we have to state up front which decks we're using?

Can we switch decks between rounds as long as they're expansion decks?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Those who break the rules are considered scum; but those who would betray and abandon even one of their friends, are worst than scum(Kakashi Hatake/Originally Obito Uchiha/Tobi).
The results from this are going to be so screwy with the tournament being the day after release.

The first few matches to the last set, are going to be on such a different level due to deck unlocks and people gaining first hand experience on how these decks interact.... 
The results from this are going to be so screwy with the tournament being the day after release.

The first few matches to the last set, are going to be on such a different level due to deck unlocks and people gaining first hand experience on how these decks interact.... 

While the tourney starts on the 20th, that round does not finish until Sunday so it gives plenty of time for unlocks and a little practice IMO.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I would love to enter this tourney as well, but I would need a little clearer time frame than "morning of".  At least a 3 or 4 hour window would be nice.  Unless you literally mean anytime before Noon is fine.  I would also like some clarity on rules (changing decks, adding/removing cards, etc).  My name is Flush on Steam, just joined the group.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Are we going to have a list of people who are interested in playing but don't have a partner?   I have one person I usually play with but I'm not sure they can commit to this tourney so I might be looking for a partner.
Good questions. Let me clarify what I had in mind here...

Let me clarify some terms first, just to avoid any confusion between game, match, round, etc:

A game = a single play with 30 life.
A match = a complete set of games between opponents. We'll be going best 2 of 3. Since this is double elimination, a team can only have 2 match losses for the tournament.
A round = a tournament round. Each team plays a single match per round vs. their assigned opponent. 

Do we have to state up front which decks we're using?  Are the rounds best 2 out of 3?  3 out of 5?  Can we switch decks in between matches during the round?

I've decided to throw in a twist. Ravnica is all about being loyal to your guild. In the spirit of that, each player should choose their deck for the entire tournament. Teammates can't choose the same deck, so make sure you discuss your choice with your partner. You have until the start of the tournament to decide, so feel free to sign up as a team first, then declare your decks later.

Yes, as stated above the matches are best 2 out of 3 games. 

Do we have to state up front which decks we're using?

Can we switch decks between rounds as long as they're expansion decks?

No, see above.

That's kind of the idea. Nobody will have much experience with the new decks, so the results should be interesting as people experiment. Kind of like the pre-release events for newly released Magic sets, all people can do is speculate as to what works best and what doesn't. Choose wisely!

I would love to enter this tourney as well, but I would need a little clearer time frame than "morning of".  At least a 3 or 4 hour window would be nice.  Unless you literally mean anytime before Noon is fine.  I would also like some clarity on rules (changing decks, adding/removing cards, etc).  My name is Flush on Steam, just joined the group.

Adding/removing cards (aka sideboarding) inbetween games will be allowed, as in previous tournaments. As for the "morning of" time allotment I've layed out, please try to complete matches BEFORE the date arrives for the next round. Nobody should rely on me having a slow morning in order to complete their match for a round on time. That said, you can expect the bracket to be updated roughly between 9:00a and 11:00a Pacific Time on the dates listed.

Are we going to have a list of people who are interested in playing but don't have a partner?   I have one person I usually play with but I'm not sure they can commit to this tourney so I might be looking for a partner.

We can totally do that. Please discuss here if you're looking for a partner. If you see someone else looking to team up, either direct message them in the forums or via the Steam group in order to work out your alliance.

Sean Gibbons

Thanks for the clarifications!  Sounds like a lot of fun with the new decks!  I will register as soon as I talk to my friend which may or may not be available as well.  If not I will be sure to notify if I am free for teaming up or not.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

My Steam name: Shin Hitokiri
Partner Steam name: Garet Jax
Team name:   

My Steam name:  Garet Jax.
Guild:  Rakdos. 
Partner Steam name:  Shin Hitokiri.
Our Team Name:  Team Deathnote

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
My Steam Name: Wint3rSt0rm
Partner's Steam Name: Hebihime16
Team Name: We Recycle
Deck : Rakdos Grinning Malice

My Steam Name: Hebihime16

Partner's Steam Name: Wint3rSt0rm

Team Name: We Recycle

Deck: Golgari's Sepulchral Strength

Doh, I'm going to be on vacation.. curses!!
Can there be some rule added to using only the original decks? Because if unlocks will be available right away, that might favor those whom spend money.
tbh the 1st round is roughly 4 days and i actually plan to grind the deck i wana play in less then 1 without spending money and since u can use only 1 deck i dont see the problem to grind it for like 2/3 days and still be able to play with it fully unlocked?
Can there be some rule added to using only the original decks? Because if unlocks will be available right away, that might favor those whom spend money.

Deck Lock keys tend to not come out at the same time new expansions/decks are released. Usually they come out 2-3 weeks afterwards.
Ignore this.  Partner located.

Steam name: Drogo
Partner steam name: Finnsidious

Team name and decks haven't been decided yet.    Will post those before the tourney starts.
I hope we get enough teams for this thing. With all the requests for a 2hg tourney I'm surprised that not that many others entered yet.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I just signed up to participate to this 2hg tournament. I need a partner
Even if i just signed up, i am playing to dopt2013 for a while ( almost 200 hours )
I play almost every day

I am going to check on this thread for an answer but you can also mp me of course
I am a avaiable between 19.00 pm untill 1.00am in the European (french) time.

And as you maybe have seen, i'm french =)

Thx
I guess there was a lot less interest in 2hg than anticipated. ;(
I guess there was a lot less interest in 2hg than anticipated. ;(

Yeah, the responses in other threads seemed positive about 2HG but when it comes to actually signing up apparently people aren't that interested.   We have what, 3 teams so far?

Borderlands 2 coming out this week probably doesn't help either.   I plan to be in a B2 coma for most of the week, I'm sure I'm not the only one.   I'd make time for this tournament though if it happens.
Speaking solely for myself, I have no partner so that's something of a detriment to signing up.  Granted, we do have other people in a similar boat, but still, the prospect of a relatively random team vs an experienced pairing is, again, something of a detriment.  If the 2HG tournament were random pairings (ie. you sign up and the RNG gods assign you a partner and the two of you stick together for the entire tournament) that might be less daunting.  Then again, the tournaments are just for fun and bragging rights, so I don't really care whether I win or lose as long as I have a good time.

All that said, the real reason I haven't signed up is simply that I don't have the wiggle room for a tournament until next week.  Having to ditch the very first round seems like bad form, so I'll content myself with unlocking the expansion decks until the next tournament hits.
My name on Steam: Flush

Partner's name on Steam: Ransome

Team Name: The Raging Goblins

My Deck: Grinning Malice

Ransome's Deck: Aura Servants

Times Available: 8am-2pm Pacific/-800 GMT.  We can be somewhat flexible with times if really needed, but this frame is by far the best for us.

BTW:  Can we switch decks between us, I know we have to stick with GM and AS, but can I play AS and he play GM if we wanted?

Just like my friend minddrifter said one message above:

My Steam name: Ransome
Partner's Steam name: Flush  

My Deck: Aura Servants
Flush's Deck: Grinning Malice

Times Available: 8am-2pm Pacific/-800 GMT.   

I just signed up to participate to this 2hg tournament. I need a partner
Even if i just signed up, i am playing to dopt2013 for a while ( almost 200 hours )
I play almost every day

I am going to check on this thread for an answer but you can also mp me of course
I am a avaiable between 19.00 pm untill 1.00am in the European (french) time.

And as you maybe have seen, i'm french =)

Thx

Just like my friend minddrifter said one message above:

My Steam name: Ransome
Partner's Steam name: Flush  

My Deck: Aura Servants
Flush's Deck: Grinning Malice

Times Available: 8am-2pm Pacific/-800 GMT.   

To piliniak69 and Guneye: welcome to the forums (and the tournament)!

It looks like both piliniak69 and Drogo are looking for 2HG partners. Either message each other in the forums, or if you're reading this and need a partner, you now have a choice!

Sean Gibbons

Count me (Izzet) in with Destricted (Selesnya).

WiNGSPANTT is the 4th best commentator on YouTube and editor in chief of Top Tier Tactics.

What he said. Our awesome team name is Team Selizznyet.

What he said. Our awesome team name is Team Selizznyet.

I would have also been okay with Team YouCan'tSpellWingspanWithoutWin

WiNGSPANTT is the 4th best commentator on YouTube and editor in chief of Top Tier Tactics.

steam name: Thaibro
looking for parnter 
can some give me the linkto the dlc decks
also why is it the morning and not at night like 8? 
So, we don't have to play our match on the morning of that day right? We just have to had played the match by the time the next round starts right?
So, we don't have to play our match on the morning of that day right? We just have to had played the match by the time the next round starts right?

I am currently under the impression that this statement is correct and we have until the last day of the round to play the match.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White

I am currently under the impression that this statement is correct and we have until the last day of the round to play the match.

Yeah, that seems like the most ideal way of doing this.

I'll offically sign up once I get some details from my friend
Alright, so my steam name is: PinkPutty
My teammate's is:  Befuddle
I will be playing Sepulchral Strength and he will be playing Grinning Malice.

And our team name: "Wee Just Beat the Dragonauts!"
Alright, so my steam name is: PinkPutty
My teammate's is:  Befuddle
I will be playing Sepulchral Strength and he will be playing Grinning Malice.

And our team name: "Wee Just Beat the Dragonauts!"

Agreed^

I would like to play but i don't have a team yet, would be nice if there is anyone that wants to play or something ~

Please let me know if anyone wants to participate

I would like to play but i don't have a team yet, would be nice if there is anyone that wants to play or something ~

Please let me know if anyone wants to participate

I'm sure if you look through this thread, you'll find a at least one person who is currently without a teammate.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Steam name: Drogo (Deck: Rakdos, R/B)

Partner: Finnsidious (Deck: SS, G/B)

Team name:  My Kids Are Better Than Me At MTG

Exactly right. 

Sean Gibbons

Steam name: Wizards_Sean
Deck: Izzet

Partner's Steam name: Grunthex
Deck: Golgari

Team name: Ermahgerd Nrv Mrzzit

Sean Gibbons