Mill possible with RTR reveal *spoiler*

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Looked at at the new psychic spiral and was like OMG mill ftw!!! If you don't know what it does here's the text

InstantUncommon
Shuffle all cards from your graveyard into your library. Target player puts that many cards from the top of his or her library into his or her graveyard.

So there has to be a way to create a mill or turbofog deck to absolute perfection. Any thoughts. 
Don't know if this should be in Deck Help lol, but anyway, you haven't mentioned the cost and that's relevant...

It's 4U. Which is a huge price to pay for a card that doesn't affect the board at all, so says to me that this deck wants to be a self mill/mill deck, using this card as a closer. Sounds janky as a mothertrucker, but I can dig it.
I want to be Cultured.
Source?  Because it's not on the Spoiler Page yet.

I've been storing up blue Mill since I got back into Magic (second booster was Jace), but it hasn't seemed viable without heavy expense.  This card could sway My opinion though.

Confirm?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Source?  Because it's not on the Spoiler Page yet.

I've been storing up blue Mill since I got back into Magic (second booster was Jace), but it hasn't seemed viable without heavy expense.  This card could sway My opinion though.

Confirm?

you mean the mothership spoilers page?  most people use other good sites like mtgsalvation or something

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

I don't think it makes mill viable at all. Most if not all Mill cards can only have 1 target, so if you're using this card to effect, you've been milling the wrong person the whole time, and you could have had the opponent have the same ammount of cards in the graveyard without even spending the mana. This card is to be used AGAINST mill. 

not to mention that 5 mana can be used for Jace, Memory adept instead for mill. 
Card is pretty bad for Mill plan unless you're also playing it in a  Battle of Wits.dec...  Ah...!
It's basicly "Mill Swap" without being Sanguine Bond, which is a permanent that primarly thrives on you recovering from damage dealt you by an opponent or even over 20 Life, instead of self-inflicted as the primarly gameplan.
Forbiden Alchemy effects, Mirror-Mad Phantasm and Sphinx of Uthuun will profit from that card, Physical Spiral, but still... Mill is not viable... Especially with so many grave to library shufflers around, Cavern of Souls and flexible aggro.

Cheers
See when I  saw this card I was thinking self mill

INN block has a lot of selfmill cards and a lot of ways to use them to win.

I would look at a three colour :G::B::U: self mill deck with a few cards like spider spawning and laboratory maniac as alternate win cons.

Shoot your deck to pieces then wipe them over. Cards to consider:

Armored Skaab
Mulch
Forbidden Alchemy
Thought Scour
Mind Sculpt
Snapcaster Mage
Jace's Illusion
Kessig Cagebreakers
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
Better question, what does Nicol Bolas want with the lightbulb?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
That card is unplayable it doesn't make mill a viable deck.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

This card is potentially good (compared to other mill cards anyway) in only one way, and that is the idea that self-mill is easier than milling the opponent.

See Cephalid Illusionist
However this means Psychic Spiral will not be good in any format that doesn't have a card like Cephalid Illusionist. (i.e. a card that allows you to mill yourself easily)
Mind you, even then Psychic Spiral may not be good. Those are merely the conditions that must be met for it to even begin being good.
IF it is going to work, which idk if it will. You would need Jace, Memory Adept so you can mill either yourself (as per your gameplan), or your opponent, which serves the same ultimate goal. You should probably also have some Temporal Mastery so you can maybe double up on some turns to get closer to your ultimate goal? Devastation Tide could also prove effective as a stall tactic if you use Think Twice or Thought Scour on their turn. You could also benefit from copying a Mirror-Mad Phantasm with a Cackling Coutnerpart or Clone, and then activate the ability and flip your whole library into the graveyard and then play Psychic Spiral for most likely the win? Easily disrupted however.
Maybe in Simic self mill, and I use the word maybe loosely. It's true that counterspells will be more lax upon rotation due to Mana Leak being outdated and the uncounterable spells. That doesn't mean that they won't be running two copies of Dissipate or Izzet Charm (coughJudge'sFamiliarcough)in the main board if not tucked away in the sideboard for incidents like this.

Jace, Memory Adept is just so much better in every single way. +1; Draw 1, Mill 1 0; Mill 10 -7(i.e. two draws); basically mill 20 (lets face it, even late game unless you're playing with all 1 CMC cheap spells, which you should be able to trash easily regardless, you're pitching something when you draw 20). It's just more effective in the long run for it's value.
It depends if you want the most effective deck or a deck that is interesting and fun.

In all but the most competitive local metas you can pilot an unusual deck for a few wins, and if you do it right then this deck would be able to do fairly well.

What you want is to look for cards that are mill AND do something else.

Thought Scour helps you run through your deck
Snapcaster Mage gives you milled spells back and provides a body
Armored Skaab mills you and gives you a body
Mulch smooths out your land drops so you arent late with your spiral (and mills)

I do think that this would need to be in three colours, for access to mulch and spider spawning

It could also be worth running a few Sticked Drake because losing 1 card from your grave to drop what is most likely the biggest flier on the board seems worth it to say you will pretty much always be able to play it T3

I may throw a preliminary list together later if you want 
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
So on top of a "Mill  my opponent" stategy, I got to have a "Mill myself" strategy in order to make the first work best... I see... It's like plating Hatered and I don't like it, especially cause your opponent can exile your grave in response and then... you're dead if you don't have Laboratory Maniac on the board.

The only way I see this card working is as a secondary finisher along Mirror-Mad Phantasm for a Battle of Wits deck, where you actually start with more "hip points" than you opponent and you can selfmill for 40 or 50, that won't be a problem... and then booom... in your opponents face.

Otherwise there's little there to keep me alive while I attack my oppoents 53 "hit points" If I don't play heavy control outlets along the Mill wincons.

Anyway, I'm all for mill, I would love to be proven wrong...

Cheers
Ok so at a first build going all in this is where i came to:

Lands:

I wanted to make the deck tick through as fast as possible and so looked for multipurpose cards that got me there asap.

The only cards that run contrary to need are the drakes and in all honesty they still fit the need and work as an emergency wincon.

The one fear is graveyard exile and that is something I just cannot control.
Show
Sign In to post comments