[RTR-ICD] Ash Zealot

76 posts / 0 new
Last post

Ash Zealot |
Creature - Human Warrior (R)
First strike, haste
Whenever a player casts a spell from a graveyard, Ash Zealot deals 3 damage to that player.
"Smarter than death? Let's see you outsmart my mace, necromancer!"
2/2
Anti Flashback
me likey
proud member of the 2011 community team
Hello, amazing red two-drop creature! We've been waiting for you to show up!
Wow, this is just pissing on Snapcaster Mage
I find obvious hoser cards like this really friggin' boring.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
I just noticed that it is a 2/2 first strike haste for 2cmc IN ADDITION to the anti flashback

me likey more
Very powerful card I'd imagine this will have some uses in standard and maybe even modern.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

I realize this hoses flashback, but I don't think they would print this here if it didn't have some connection with the rest of the block. I think there might be a mechanic or at least a powerful card that can be cast from the yard before the block is over.
More flashback hate in a block entirely devoid of flashback? Good job Wizards.
I retract part of my previous statement. This doesn't actually "hose" flashback at all. If we're talking about the difference between winning and losing, I will happily pay 3 life to flashback that kill spell. If anything, this hoses Gravecrawler.
Not rare.
Not rare.

What???
Not rare.

2/2 haste, first strike is already pushing the mana curve. Add in a somewhat relevent ability, and yes, this is very very much worth a rare slot.
I don't even play red decks, but I'm always rooting for them. Go red!!!11!1!!11!!!
Not rare.

How is this not rare? And "I don't like it" isn't an acceptable answer.
MTG Rules Advisor Mirrodin_Loyalty.png

Not rare.

2/2 haste, first strike is already pushing the mana curve. Add in a somewhat relevant ability, and yes, this is very very much worth a rare slot.

It might have been a fine uncommon. Uncommons can be efficient creatures, as long as they are fairly manageable. Though usually hatebears are rare.

At first I read this as Burning Vengeance on legs, then I read it again and I was sad.

Not rare.

2/2 haste, first strike is already pushing the mana curve. Add in a somewhat relevant ability, and yes, this is very very much worth a rare slot.

It might have been a fine uncommon. Uncommons can be efficient creatures, as long as they are fairly manageable. Though usually hatebears are rare.

2/2 haste, first strike with a minor ability would cost 3 at uncommon. At 2 mana, it's most definitely rare.

Not rare.

This would definitely not have been fine as an uncommon everything about it screams rare to me.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Interesting.  I smell a combo deck...in red.  But one that is slow enough to require defense against zombies.
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
"Let's see you outsmart my mace, necromancer!"

Love.  
Give me 4 please 
This is one of the most efficient bodies on a (mono)red creature I've seen in a while. It's almost like a red Elite Inquisitor. Lovely! I don't even care about her third ability, besides that it's not a drawback.
This is good.  The anti-flashback ability isn't as good as it seems but it'll still give a boost.  The body is great though.
This card is nuts, I mean, even RorixCollector semi-likes it, and I thought he was neutral at best towards everything!
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
Wow nice zealot, the first strike + haste is great for straight up mono red and causes your opponent to trade unevenly.

The anti flash back thing is just odd though.  Not like there are really all that mana gy shennanigans going on, and they already hosed snapcaster mage not to mention even if you did use snapcaster you would probably just take the damage and cast your extra supreme verdict regardless. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Ooh, I like her.

Also: "Some people think they can outsmart me. Maybe… maybe. I've yet to meet one that can outsmart bullet."
Anti-Flashback, Anti-Snapcaster Mage
Might see play in MD but I'm guessing lots of them put into sideboard. 
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
Oh my god a 2/2 haste first strike for two mana in red

That's like Blood Knight efficiency

Wizards isn't hogging all the good haste for green now yay
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
2 mana red first striking haster is playable on its own.  Graveyard hate tacked on is just an added bonus.
This hoses R/B Zombies way harder than flashback and Snapcaster Mage.  Lava Spike everytime you recur a Gravecrawler or Geralf's Messenger and trades unevenly with them. Thankfully it's RR, so it should be hard to cast... right?
Good enough to see maindeck play in aggressive decks in Standard. Probably worth sideboard slots in Modern and Legacy (if your metagame is full of Past in Flames or Dredge decks.)
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
This hoses R/B Zombies way harder than flashback and Snapcaster Mage.  Lava Spike everytime you recur a Gravecrawler or Geralf's Messenger and trades unevenly with them. Thankfully it's RR, so it should be hard to cast... right?

Undying doesn't trigger this ability
This hurts control. Delver does not care about this (unless it blocks geist).

Please stop making control worse. 

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Undying doesn't trigger this ability

Whoops, you're right. Still, it's potent vs. Zombies.
magic R&D logic: let's print broken cards, we can print hosers later if it gets crazy.

i want more red cards. 
2 mana red first striking haster is playable on its own.  Graveyard hate tacked on is just an added bonus.

This.

I would have loved this card in Timespiral/Ravinca Standard. Here, I plan on playing gravecrawler in Red, so it's a no for now.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]

This.

I would have loved this card in Timespiral/Ravinca Standard. Here, I plan on playing gravecrawler in Red, so it's a no for now.

B/R Zombies obviously doesn't like this but could be a go in W/R Humans. 
Anti-flashback for two that comes with haste and first strike? Sweet deal.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
Hot, in all ways, shapes, and forms. Shes red, shes angry, shes got hot abilities (yeah 1st strike+haste+"counter-bolt" from casting from GY) and hot art. That necromancer is gonna feel the heat and so is standard.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
Sign In to post comments