Can't Select Powers in Character Builder

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
In the Character Builder, certain classes it seems aren't able to choose any at-wills, encounters, or dailies (there is literally no option to do so).  When I go to the character sheet for that character, it lists the utilities and racial powers that comes with that class/race combination but I still can't choose powers when I go back to the builder.  The classes that this issue seems to be affecting are the Rogue, Warlock, and Paladin classes (although there could be more - I haven't tried it with every class yet).  Is the builder incomplete or am I just missing something obvious?
In the Character Builder, certain classes it seems aren't able to choose any at-wills, encounters, or dailies (there is literally no option to do so).  When I go to the character sheet for that character, it lists the utilities and racial powers that comes with that class/race combination but I still can't choose powers when I go back to the builder.  The classes that this issue seems to be affecting are the Rogue, Warlock, and Paladin classes (although there could be more - I haven't tried it with every class yet).  Is the builder incomplete or am I just missing something obvious?

Which Rogue, Warlock and Paladin classes are you choosing? Are you clicking the "New" button, or "Custom."

Never, ever click "New." This will limit you to the options found in Heroes of the Fallen Lands and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms. Seriously, just don't do it. If you have clicked "New," then the Rogue, Warlock and Paladin classes default to the Thief, Hexblade and Cavalier sub-classes. These classes do not pick Encounter and Daily; At-Will and Encounter, or At-Will, Encounter or Daily powers, respectively (at least, not at level 1).

The Thief's At-Will movement techniques modify its basic attacks, effectively replacing At-Will attack powers. The Thief gets Backstab (and additional uses of same) instead of Encounter Attack powers. The Thief gets combat advantage more readily than the PHB1 Rogue, so its expected per turn damage output is higher. This is the trade off for not having Daily powers.

The Hexblade's At-Will and Encounter attack powers are predetermined by your choice of Pact. The Hexblade still chooses Daily powers as normal from among all the available powers, except at levels 9, 17 and 25), where they get a Daily Summon.

The Cavalier's At-Will attack powers are predetermined by your choice of Virtue. Instead of Encounter attack powers, Cavaliers get Holy Smite, and then additional uses of same as they level. The Cavalier does not get a level 1 Daily attack power, but begins to pick Daily attack powers as normal at level 5. This is offset somewhat by slightly more consistent Mark punishment than the PHB1 Paladin.

When you select classes after choosing "Custom", the other sub-classes with a more limited selection of powers, in addition to the Thief, Hexblade and Cavalier, are the Knight, Slayer, Warpriest, Hunter, Scout, Sentinel, Blackguard, Executioner, Binder and Bladesinger.

When looking for the PHB1 versions of Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, Rogue and Warlord, they will be called out as Fighter (Weaponmaster), Cleric (Templar), Wizard (Arcanist), Rogue (Scoundrel) and Walord (Marshal).

Hope that clears up some of your confusion.

Same problem - Trying to build a fighter. I do use the Custom option but I still cannot choose dailies or even any of the powers in TPH. What gives? Selecting home campaign.

I just want to make a character with the info in TPH.