[RTR-ICD] Ultimate Price

64 posts / 0 new
Last post



Ultimate Price 1b
Instant (U)
Destroy target monocolored creature.
"Let him be an example to others who would default on their debts to us."
—"The Cozen," Orzhov assassin

Illus. Karl Kopinski 82/274

Source : channelfireball.com/


Discuss.  Pretty boring preview but should see decent play in just about every format.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

 

Worse than Go For the Throat.  Not bad for Limited though!  And since Doom Blade is also rotating, it might see some Standard play?
Lighten up Rorix, this is our new Doom Blade of course it will see play.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
will see play for lack of alternatives
proud member of the 2011 community team
So, killing the guildless?
I tried about three times to post some witty remark about this card, but I was overcome with apathy.  This card bores me. 
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
>Sees name

>Expects new Necro variant

>Is sad and disappointed


The flavor feels a bit off. Why would the Orzhov kill guildless debt-owers more than anybody else? Money is money, after all. Also, the disconnect between the name and the "killing the guildless". The ultimate price for not picking a group??
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
I dont see how being mono colored warrants being killed.

3DH4LIF3

It seems odd that this would play best in any block that isn't Ravnica, home of multicolored creatures with 1 CMC.

Then again, maybe they'll unveil an Artifact creature at some point. 
Hmmm... Interesting to see how often you get to laugh at your opponent holding this in hand. Removal that wont kill a lot of bombs.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
It seems odd that this would play best in any block that isn't Ravnica, home of multicolored creatures with 1 CMC.

just like printing Go for the Throat in an artifact block, or Victim of Night in a block where those tribes are common and relevant

proud member of the 2011 community team
It seems odd that this would play best in any block that isn't Ravnica, home of multicolored creatures with 1 CMC.

Then again, maybe they'll unveil an Artifact creature at some point. 



Odd like Go for the Throat in SoM?

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

It seems odd that this would play best in any block that isn't Ravnica, home of multicolored creatures with 1 CMC.

just like printing Go for the Throat in an artifact block, or Victim of Night in a block where those tribes are common and relevant



Don't forget Rend Flesh from a block that had a (bad) spirit theme.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

way before my time ;)
proud member of the 2011 community team
It seems odd that this would play best in any block that isn't Ravnica, home of multicolored creatures with 1 CMC.

just like printing Go for the Throat in an artifact block, or Victim of Night in a block where those tribes are common and relevant




Exactly.

It feels like they're printing it here just so they can reprint it later after they judge its strength, like they're intentionally hamstringing the card when it first appears for some nefarious ulterior motive, or because if they have it in Ravnica they can test its power level without running the risk of it getting banned in standard.
way before my time ;)


Same...well kinda.  I was away from the game during Kamigawa, but from what I could tell, I didn't miss much.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Ummmm, ill take a upgraded trading post please...
way before my time ;)


Same...well kinda.  I was away from the game during Kamigawa, but from what I could tell, I didn't miss much.




I loved Kamigawa.

But, apparently, if you liked it you LIKED it and if you didn't like it you HATED it.

I'm also more of a Flavor-driven guy that likes ninjas and snake-people. 
way before my time ;)


Same...well kinda.  I was away from the game during Kamigawa, but from what I could tell, I didn't miss much.




I loved Kamigawa.

But, apparently, if you liked it you LIKED it and if you didn't like it you HATED it.

I'm also more of a Flavor-driven guy that likes ninjas and snake-people. 


Don't get me wrong, I love the flavor of Kamigawa and I hope WotC summons up the balls to go back one day, and do it right.  This would basically mean keeping ninjitsu and scrapping everything else.  I do, however, like the fact that Kamigawa isn't completely forgotten, at least with Planechase and Tamiyo etc.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

It seems odd that this would play best in any block that isn't Ravnica, home of multicolored creatures with 1 CMC.

just like printing Go for the Throat in an artifact block, or Victim of Night in a block where those tribes are common and relevant




Exactly.

It feels like they're printing it here just so they can reprint it later after they judge its strength, like they're intentionally hamstringing the card when it first appears for some nefarious ulterior motive, or because if they have it in Ravnica they can test its power level without running the risk of it getting banned in standard.



I always thought they do this because they don't want a card costed to be good in standard ruining block and limited...

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

way before my time ;)


Same...well kinda.  I was away from the game during Kamigawa, but from what I could tell, I didn't miss much.




I loved Kamigawa.

But, apparently, if you liked it you LIKED it and if you didn't like it you HATED it.

I'm also more of a Flavor-driven guy that likes ninjas and snake-people. 



Me too, Keiga, the tide star is one of my all time favorite cards.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
The problem with tihs card is look at the creatures in standard: finishers are ususally Geist, Huntmaster, and Olivia, all mutli colored. Then think about the all the most played mono colored creatures: Strangleroot and Messenger both have undying, Resto Angel can save anything and Thragtusk leaves a 3/3 friend behind. I just don't know about this card in standard. Plus it doesn't hit artifact creatures (except for the few that have a color identity). My big beef with the spell is that the name is so good, on such a mediocre card. My first thought when I saw he name was big flashy maybe OP Black spell. Then I look and...oh so dissapointing.Frown
Also wanted to add that they've become so scared of cards getting out of control that they never print anything without providing an answer for it.  In the cases where something takes off more than they were expecting they print a hoser a set later.

It's those rare ones that slip by their radar which land up becomming tournament staples. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Does Artifact Creatures considered mono colored?
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
Does Artifact Creatures considered mono colored?

colorless is not mono-colored

there are however mono-colored artifact creatures
proud member of the 2011 community team
IMAGE(http://i45.tinypic.com/20jqt81.png)
"He will pay the Ultimate Price."
"Yes. The Ultimate Price."


















IMAGE(http://i50.tinypic.com/33elgs1.png)
Accidentally leaked, this is probably it:
ULTIMATE PRICE (instant, uncommon) 1B
Destroy target monocolored creature.

I like.



If that is it I will be a very happy panda.




Discuss.  Pretty boring preview but should see decent play in just about every format.



Bipolar much?
Why does everyone here think that every single card is boring?  Why do you even play?   
Does Artifact Creatures considered mono colored?

colorless is not mono-colored

there are however mono-colored artifact creatures



What a shame, worse than GFTT then.
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
Hmph. I'm hoping this turns out to be way better than it looks, 'cause right now, I ain't impressed. Sideboardable at best.
Accidentally leaked, this is probably it:
ULTIMATE PRICE (instant, uncommon) 1B
Destroy target monocolored creature.

I like.



If that is it I will be a very happy panda.




Discuss.  Pretty boring preview but should see decent play in just about every format.



Bipolar much?
Why does everyone here think that every single card is boring?  Why do you even play?   



It is a boring preview considering how much LSV was hyping this on social media. However I am happy that there is a 2 mana hard removal spell being printed to replace DB and GftT in standard.
And yes this will see play in standard if anyone was doubting that for a second.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

 

It seems odd that this would play best in any block that isn't Ravnica, home of multicolored creatures with 1 CMC.

just like printing Go for the Throat in an artifact block, or Victim of Night in a block where those tribes are common and relevant




Exactly.

It feels like they're printing it here just so they can reprint it later after they judge its strength, like they're intentionally hamstringing the card when it first appears for some nefarious ulterior motive, or because if they have it in Ravnica they can test its power level without running the risk of it getting banned in standard.



Wizards is never going to ban removal unless it is completely rediculous. Even if they accidentally printed Murder at (don't ask me how this would happen), I doubt it would get the hammer.
Accidentally leaked, this is probably it:
ULTIMATE PRICE (instant, uncommon) 1B
Destroy target monocolored creature.

I like.



If that is it I will be a very happy panda.




Discuss.  Pretty boring preview but should see decent play in just about every format.



Bipolar much?
Why does everyone here think that every single card is boring?  Why do you even play?   



It is a boring preview considering how much LSV was hyping this on social media. However I am happy that there is a 2 mana hard removal spell being printed to replace DB and GftT in standard.
And yes this will see play in standard if anyone was doubting that for a second.



It will see play because Murder is the next best option. Also because we just had a block full of monocolored creatures (mostly). I'm probably wrong about it only seeing sideboard play to be honest, but I do predict that it will be dead in hand often.

Edit: This is LSV's preview card? He said it was an upgraded Trading Post, I guess he was being sarcastic? 
I like this card. Nothing too wonderful though.
Not very impressive, but still not bad. If nothing else, I get Orzhov flavor out of it.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
Hate the name, love the card.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
-4 GffTs and -4 Doom Blades

+4 of these because there won't be anything else to use, and I think this will be useful.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
It seems odd that this would play best in any block that isn't Ravnica, home of multicolored creatures with 1 CMC.

just like printing Go for the Throat in an artifact block, or Victim of Night in a block where those tribes are common and relevant



Don't forget Rend Flesh from a block that had a (bad) spirit theme.



Or Eyeblight's Ending. Or Violet Pall. Or...
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
-4 GffTs and -4 Doom Blades

+4 of these because there won't be anything else to use, and I think this will be useful.



Not Murder? Or Dreadbore?
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
-4 GffTs and -4 Doom Blades

+4 of these because there won't be anything else to use, and I think this will be useful.



Not Murder? Or Dreadbore?



Tribute to hunger also at 3 comes to mind.  There are plenty of removals in std.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)