9/14/2012 TWTW: "Moving the Needle"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
The formatting of this article seems a little off.  The rulings are placed in odd spots and at least one of them seems like it might be missing.  Hard to say exactly since I don't know what it's supposed to look like.
Yeah the formatting of this article is all strange.  Sometimes the header repeats!  Sometimes it doesn't!  Sometimes the old FAQ ruling comes first (the logical way)!  Sometimes it comes weirdly after it's been "responded" to already!

I suspect the article was submitted right before deadline or the like. 
What? I don't get the last part of the article. It says that tokens have no name. Has the rule changed??? When I last checked, tokens had the name of their creature type. For exemple, a "1/1 elf token" had automatically the name "elf". Why does the writer says Pithing needle is powerless against tokens?  

And another thing. There is an exemple in the article that says that the opponent copies your angel token with his populate ability. Isn't populate supposed to copy only a token you control?  

You have to name a card.  Technically, tokens are not cards.  They are representations of a permanent.
The final point of the article is confusing (and not just a little condescending) - what is the thing that isn't covered in the FAQ's that everyone supposedly already knows?  From the context it would seem like it is related to planeswalkers?
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
Presumably that everything a Planeswalker does counts as an activated ability, and therefore they're totally smothered by it?
I want to be Cultured.
What? I don't get the last part of the article. It says that tokens have no name. Has the rule changed??? When I last checked, tokens had the name of their creature type. For exemple, a "1/1 elf token" had automatically the name "elf". Why does the writer says Pithing needle is powerless against tokens?  

Tokens do have a name. You just can't name a token because a token is not considered a card (and you cna only name a card). However, if a token happened to be a copy of an already existing card (for example as a result of Cackling Counterpart), then a token can be affected.

And another thing. There is an exemple in the article that says that the opponent copies your angel token with his populate ability. Isn't populate supposed to copy only a token you control?  

No, the opponent has both Geist of Saint Traft and Trostani, with which he copies his own tokens. Your Pithing Needle prevents him from populating his own tokens, but not from gaining life.

The final point of the article is confusing (and not just a little condescending) - what is the thing that isn't covered in the FAQ's that everyone supposedly already knows?  From the context it would seem like it is related to planeswalkers?

The thing that everybody knows is that Pithing Needle shuts down planeswalkers. If someone plays a Needle and names, say, Sorin, Lord of Innistrad, then Sorin's abilities are useless, since they are considered activated abilities. (''Remove two loyalty counters from Sorin: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control get +1/+0." '').
An amazing, flexible and cheap card. One of the best designs in magic in my opinion.

I guess they didn´t want it in standard with Trinket Mage. Sadly this card was needed when Jace was running rampage in the format, with the actual mostly balanced planeswalkers it could be a little to effective as a hoser.

No, the opponent has both Geist of Saint Traft and Trostani, with which he copies his own tokens. Your Pithing Needle prevents him from populating his own tokens, but not from gaining life.

Actually the article says "you can stop your opponent from populating the world with Angel tokens from your attacking Geist of Saint Traft"  So the given example is not correct for populate since populate only copies a creature token you control.  Also, Trostani, Selesnya's Voice's first ability only activates on creatures entering the battlefield under your control so it doesn't give life for an opponent attacking with a Geist of Saint Traft and putting an angel token in play on their side.

That aside, I like that Pithing Needle is coming back.  Phyrexian Revoker just doesn't cut it since it is a creature.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I thought that as long as there was a card with the same name as the token in the same format that you are playing, then you could name that card in order to shut off the token's activated abilities?

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

Actually the article says "you can stop your opponent from populating the world with Angel tokens from your attacking Geist of Saint Traft"  So the given example is not correct for populate since populate only copies a creature token you control.  Also, Trostani, Selesnya's Voice's first ability only activates on creatures entering the battlefield under your control so it doesn't give life for an opponent attacking with a Geist of Saint Traft and putting an angel token in play on their side.

That aside, I like that Pithing Needle is coming back.  Phyrexian Revoker just doesn't cut it since it is a creature.

It's obviously ment to be your opponenets Geist as well
I thought that as long as there was a card with the same name as the token in the same format that you are playing, then you could name that card in order to shut off the token's activated abilities?

~ Tim 

Yes, you can give any card name. If a token has a name that's not a card name (e.g., Wolf), you cannot name it.
Is a preview of a reprint, really a preview?

It's nice to see it back though, and this does seem like the right time.

In the smaller version of the art, I thought the woman's dress in the foreground was made of bugs (centipedes, worms, etc.).  I'm a bit disappointed it's just a loopy crochet sort of thing now - I think that would've been a nice touch.