[RTR-ICD] Tablet of the Guilds

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tablet of the Guilds

Tablet of the Guilds - 2
Artifact (U)

As Tablet of the Guilds enters the battlefield, choose two colors.
Whenever you cast a spell, if it's at least one of the chosen colors, you gain 1 life for each of the chosen colors it is.

It is rumored the Azorius paid an exorbitant sum to ensure its symbol would appear at the top.

Artist: Nic Klein

Source: @dailymtg Twitter
Haha oh man, they just can't leave it alone, can they?
more lucky charms!
just as they finally got rid of them in the core set :D
proud member of the 2011 community team
This, might actually be good in limited. Should easily get you a ton of life if you play it turn 2.

Edit: O, wait, it says you. Never mind.
Stricthy better then the Lucky Charms. Maybe Fringe EDH Playable.

Edit: I missed the you cast.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Curious. At two cmc, this could be playable in a lifegain deck.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
The flavor text makes me curious how much thought actually went into the placement of the guilds.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I know the color cycle starts at w/u, but Orzhov works so much better for that flavor text.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

It's not necessarily better than the lucky charms. They triggered on your opponent's spells, this doesn't, so you can't even use it as (bad) tech against RDW. Even in dedicated lifegain, the effect is too minor to matter. This is the most boring card for me this season, and I hope I don't open any when playing sealed.
Idk I actually like it.  It's only 2 mana and you gain 2 each time as long as you're playing dual colored anything.

The thing that will make it playable is whether there is something to do with all this life gain.  Like a searing meditation type of deal.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
I managed to turn a game around once with a Chalice of Life that never managed to flip. So I wouldn't mind this in limited. Other things are better, though.
Neat and flavorful, but nothing game winning.
I can handle this.  It's not really good but it's ok.
I can handle this.  It's not really good but it's ok.

Handle as in accept it's existence? This card is garbage but I guess we need life gain crap every set. 
seems more interesting than the lucky charms at least.
Groan....this is terrible.  And uncommon?  Yuck.

I was so hoping for this art to be on a card like:

Gatekeeper's stone (uncommon)

Artifact

When Gatekeeper's stone enter's the battlefield, choose two different colors.

tap, add one mana of the chosen colors to your mana pool.
Pretty good for Limited.  I would have liked if it weren;t only your spells, though.  It would've made a nice, strictly-better lucky charm.
I like the art at least.

3DH4LIF3

Awful.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

I just wish they'd make up their mind whether the Dimir are acknowledged or not. When Teysa redrafted the Guildpact they were supposed to have been left out of it because no-one thought there was anything of them left, but they keep appearing on any and every piece of 'here's all the guilds' art :/
I just wish they'd make up their mind whether the Dimir are acknowledged or not. When Teysa redrafted the Guildpact they were supposed to have been left out of it because no-one thought there was anything of them left, but they keep appearing on any and every piece of 'here's all the guilds' art :/

It was like that the first time. In the books, no one even knew the dimir existed, but it's symbol was on all the art.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Wait, Azorius paid to be at the top? Who do you bribe for that sort of thing?

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Yeah lucky charms sucks but at least there is only one of them this time.
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Wait, Azorius paid to be at the top? Who do you bribe for that sort of thing?

Why, the Orzhov of course. Probably using a chunk of the Orzhov's own money that they seem to constantly be bribing the Azorius with. Or something.

Ugh. No thanks. This can be tossed aside with the Lucky Charms.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
might not be bad in limited with epic experiment, where it could create an irreversible swing in life.
other than that, i think i'll let the groans about it continue.
I'd guess this means the signets are coming later. Awful? F No. Basically says "when you cast a spell you gain 2 life" for a huge chunk of the set. Don't forget the hybrid 1cmc's too.
The catch all charm?
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
I'll fist pump if this is my opponent's turn 2 play in limited. 
Not to sound stupid, but i'm trying to catch up on some of the Magic lingo from over the years i've never paid attention to, but what catd is 'Lucky Charms'?
Not to sound stupid, but i'm trying to catch up on some of the Magic lingo from over the years i've never paid attention to, but what catd is 'Lucky Charms'?

It's a cycle.
Demon's Horn, Dragon's Claw, Wurm's Tooth, Kraken's Eye, Angel's Feather.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Don't forget Golem's Heart

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

The older (and suckier) cycle was Crystal Rod, Iron Star, Ivory Cup, Throne of Bone, and Wooden Sphere.
The flavor text makes me curious how much thought actually went into the placement of the guilds.

The flavor text seems like a sloppy justification (though I do like the flavor text). The placement is obviously determined by the colorwheel.
It just needs that one guild that uses life loss/payment for its cards.

Centaur Helper on turn 3 with this out can nab 5 life.
This, might actually be good in limited. Should easily get you a ton of life if you play it turn 2.

Edit: O, wait, it says you. Never mind.

That right there killed it for me. And I though this was going to be a ridiculous limited life gain power house.

Over all, card is bad.  
How to Auto Card
(Replace { with [) {c}Gelectrode{/c}= Gelectrode
How to Auto Card, with style
(Replace { with [) {c=Gelectrode}Pinball Machine{/c}=Pinball Machine
How to Auto Deck
Auto Deck
(again, replace { with [) {deck} Lands 20 4x Halimar Depths 4X Unstable Frontier 8X Island 4X Swamp Creatures 12 4x Hedron Crabs 4x Nemesis of Reason 4x Mnemonic Wall Spells 28 4X Spreading Seas 4X Suffer the Past 4x Mind Funeral 4X Archive Trap 4X Ponder 4x Into the Roil 4X Soul Manipulation {/deck}

The flavor text seems like a sloppy justification (though I do like the flavor text). The placement is obviously determined by the colorwheel.

While it is true that the art for this card is determined by our color wheel, I think that were this made by a Ravnican artist it might be in a different order.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
A neat card. I don't think it's that powerful, but it seems okay. Better than 5 slots for the bleeding charm cycle.
I really dig the flavor text. XD

The card.... It's like the Dragon's Claw cycle combined into one, I guess. Maybe a core set plant?

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
I don't understand the flavour behind why it heals though? I thought it would deal more with like making spells cheaper or i dunno. Healing just feels weird.
though thank you Cadaverous Bl00m for explaining 'Lucky Charms' though i will say, i don't see me getting use out of this. I usually use a 'Lucky Charm' as a filler if i play a mono color deck, cause i like having a little life gain in a deck incase of emergencies.
Good art, sucky card. a Wizards standard.

Interesting flavor text, though. how did the Azorius get that much money, especially if they outbid Orzhov? (and I'm pretty sure they also did bid for that top slot too.)
Eh.