Swam Swap (interrupt move the caster) a close blast.

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trigger: You are targeted by an area or a close attack
Target: One creature
Effect: You swap places with the target.

Say an Enemy standing adjacent used a close blast 3 power on Me.

E
XMX
XXX
XXX

Then i used swarm swap (or other interupt) to swap places.  What's the new blast location?

The blast doesn't change?  (he hits himself)

M
XEX
XXX
XXX 

The blast moves with the enemy? (in the same direction)

M
  E
XXX
XXX
XXX

The enemy get's to re-aim the blast?

XXX
XXX
XMX
  E

The blast fails because the area is no longer a valid blast location? (i.e. not an ajdacent square).

How about close burst powers?  Do they travel?

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Ok well by breaking down the sequence of the attack i think we could take out some of the options.

What is the exact wording of the power you're attempting to swap places with ?  Is the trigger:  You are TARGETED by an attack ? is the trigger: Your SQUARE is targeted ?  Or is it: you are hit ? 

Knowing that will most definetely affect the answer you get from power to power.  Since, depending on which step of the enemy using his power your power interrupts, it'll change the outcome.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Ok well by breaking down the sequence of the attack i think we could take out some of the options.

What is the exact wording of the power you're attempting to swap places with ?  Is the trigger:  You are TARGETED by an attack ? is the trigger: Your SQUARE is targeted ?  Or is it: you are hit ? 

Knowing that will most definetely affect the answer you get from power to power.  Since, depending on which step of the enemy using his power your power interrupts, it'll change the outcome.

Trigger: You are targeted by an area or a close attack.  (as posted at the top).

Though i'm curious how it would change if it was "when hit" or "when an ally is hit".

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

There really aren't rules for this.  The most consistent way I've come up with to handle this is as follows:

Area burst: 
Origin square of burst is unchanged.
Creatures moved out of the burst are no longer targets.
Creatures moved into the burst are no longer targets.
If the burst creator is moved to a location so that the burst is invalid (out of range, no LoE, etc) then the attack fails.

Close burst:
Since origin square is burst creator's space, updated location for burst creator is used.
Creatures no longer in the burst are no longer targets.
Creatures that are now in the burst are now targets.
Burst creator always has protection from being targeted, this is unchanged.

Close blast:
Origin square and direction of blast are unchanged, so area affected is unchanged.
Creatures moved out of the blast are no longer targets.
Creatures moved into the blast are no longer targets.
If the blast creator is moved to a location such that the blast is invalid (no longer adjacent, LoE, etc), then the attack fails.

The only issue with this is that last part, about what happens to a blast creator if they're moved into the blast.  As per the rules of blasts, that would make the blast invalid.  Seems a bit harsh for what is probably a likely ocurrance (only takes 1 square of a forced movement effect), but as I said it's the most self-consistent approach I've come up with.

Whether it's RAW?  Your guess is as good as mine.  The rules do not cover this issue in any way whatsoever.  The only thing they say anything about are things easily applied to ranged and melee attacks.  And probably area burst.  But close?  Who the hell knows.  Anyone who says they do is selling something.

D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
oh boo !  My bad !  I totally didn't see that, I'm sorry !

ok so since the power specifies that it's when you are targeted, then unfortunately i don't see how it really affects.. well anything ?  Targeting happens at the start of using a power. 

so I declare im using the power, I target you, ! interrupt and we swap places !, I target you again in your new square since my targeting phase is not over OR I'm still targeting you because I haven't actually rolled to hit you yet or done anything except declare you as a target.

If on the other hand the power read you are hit, well I can't change the targets of my power, if it's a blast 3 i've already chosen which squares are targeted and attacked.  If I swap places with the monster and he finds himself in the blast and I'm now outside of it I would rule that it's the same thing as if he attacked me with a melee attack and I shifted outside his melee reach with an interrupt power.  I am now no longer in the area or zone where the attack is being done, so I'm no longer attacked.  Because of the attack sequence you can't suddenly decide to go back and make changes once your attack is already going, same for the melee attack example above.  As for if the monster is now subject to attack, I could see it being argued that it is now in the area or zone of the attack, however I don't think it would work that way because it was not one of the targeted creatures of the attack when it was started.  Still I wouldn't mind seeing what others think on this point.

If the attack targets the square you're in, and you swap places on being targeted, the creature in the square will be affected by whatever the power does since it's not dependant on there being something in the square, it's just the square being targeted.  That would mean the attack would then be against whatever is in the square, even if that is now the caster.

At least that's how I figure it.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Since it's an interrupt, I don't know why you'd think creatures moved into the area aren't new targets.

I've always run that orientation of blast (in relation to the attacker) doesn't change since the swap power not doing anything (attacker can redirect) makes those powers meaningless, and attacking itself (area doesn't move at all) doesn't make any sense. It's probably RAW to have the area not move though, since those were chosen prior to you being targeted.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
So no real answer then.  Guess i'll go...

close attacks travel (seems the most fun)
ranged burst fizzle (if you can't reach the origin).

guides
Power
my builds

Technically, since a Blast Cannot originate from within your square, your interrupt invalidated the triggering action, and thus the triggering action in question is lost... RC 195 - Triggered Actions

If it is a burst, then it comes down to other mitigating factors.  Since a Close Burst can theoretically be used without any targets, then swapping places with the enemy doesn't change anything.  Your power is melee 1, so you'd be in range afterwards.  However, you may be able to save allies from the burst, depending on their placement before and after the enemy is swapped.

Area Burst x within y.  Since Area attacks CAN damage the user of the power if he is in the area, then swapping places with the enemy will cause the enemy to be targeted by his own attack.
"Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor? NOW you're scared!" - Rose Tyler
Technically, since a Blast Cannot originate from within your square, your interrupt invalidated the triggering action, and thus the triggering action in question is lost... RC 195 - Triggered Actions

But does it invalidate the trigger?

Do you choose to blast a absolute area (x,y -> x+3,y+3)?
Do you choose to blast a realitive area (due west)?
Or does he get to retarget, since there is no target area yet?
Or would you only interupt the targeting part "each creature in the area"? 

I don't see any clear answer. 

guides
Power
my builds

I don't see any clear answer. 

That'd be because there isn't one.
Once the target area us chosen, it doesn't get to be redefined. you choose the power, then you define the area. The per then tells you the targeting parameters (1 creature in burst, all creatures, all enemies, etc). At this point, anything that reacts to targeting happens. In this case, you swap places. Since the area has already been defined, now toy determine if it still a legal use.

I am not sure what you mean by invalidating the trigger...
He means in the way that ranged and melee attacks can be invalidated, typically through reach/range.

There is no mechanic for what happens if the creature making a close attack is displaced by an interrupt.  There are no rules that cover this, there is no RAW answer.  There isn't even enough to support your assertion that the target area stays the same. 
In all case the Area of Effects has been delimited because you interrupt when being targeted by a close or area attack, which means the power has started targeting you (and all the other targets as well) but hasn't finished yet. That's how interrupt works. It also means the Origin square is already determined.

What the rules don't say is what happen when a creature (the caster or anyone else) is brought into the Area of Effect after the targeting selection has started.

Since a Burst or Blast that catch everything will target all creature within its Area of Effect, i would say any creature brought in while Interrupting the targeting process would become potential target as well. 

Their is exception with Burst though, a Close Burst does not affect its creator unless the power description says otherwise.
In all case the Area of Effects has been delimited because you interrupt when being targeted by a close or area attack, which means the power has started targeting you (and all the other targets as well) but hasn't finished yet. That's how interrupt works. It also means the Origin square is already determined.

The origin has been chosen, or the area has been chosen?

Cause you moved the origin.

guides
Power
my builds

Both. I say the Area of Effect and its Origin Square don't get to move since there is no rule saying an Area of Effect and its Origin Square move with the power user, unless noted otherwise.

So if the Power has begun targeting and Choosing Targets (RC 105) is done in relation to the Origin Square, it means that the Origin Square and Area of Effect are already determined and laid when the power user gets moved by Swam Swap. The only Area of Effect that get to move with the power user are specifically noted (ex. Brilliant Censure - ''When you move, the zone moves with you, remaining centered on you'' or Swarming Bats - ''As a move action, you can move the zone 4 squares'')

Both. I say the Area of Effect and its Origin Square don't get to move since there is no rule saying an Area of Effect and its Origin Square move with the power user, unless noted otherwise.

And so how do you evaluate an interrupt where the caster is moved?  That's the question, and there is no answer.
I already answered that in post 16 if you read carefully. Wink

EDITED
?

Post 9 is by Mellored.

There are no rules that tell you what happens if the caster is moved as an interrupt during a close attack.  At all.  Ever.
It's a very weird situation, and no, there nothing directly RAW about this situation, but several linking RAW situations that can be combined and used together

Making an Attack dictates the steps, citing that they may be some exceptions.  Power Formats state that Sequence of Events in the power dictate their order.  

Area is always above the Target line in attack powers, so Area is determined before targets are considered.. mechanically.  Obviously a player looks at a map, and decides which targets he wants to affect, but mechanically, Area is chosen first.  Most Area powers dictate the targets then

Each creature in the area/burst, each enemy, each enemy you can see, 1 creature in the area/burst, up to 3, etc. .   

In order for those to be targeted by the power, the Burst has to already be in place.  The Burst is here, now targets are chosen/dictated by what the power states or allows

We know that Creatures are Immune to their own Close Bursts.

We also know that if I target you with a bow, and you Use an IR/II that makes you an illegal target, I don't get to choose a different target, so the same can be said for close/area. 

Now, we have to presume that if a power "Reacts" to targeting, then it waits until all targeting is done before the swap, so the Caster is being brought into the area after targeting has been resolved.  But if the power "Interrupts" Targeting, then the swap happens before targeting has been resolved.  Which, if the Area is a power in which the Caster is not immune, like Area bursts, since the rules say Casters can be caught in their own area bursts.. then, again, presumable the caster is a legal target for this, and is targeted as Targetis is resolved.

So yeah, it's probably one of those that is going to come down to DM Perogative, but by looking at other related rules, you can probably RAW this by association.
Please, please don't bring the whole Reaction debate into this.  This issue is bad enough even when you consider only interrupts.
Please, please don't bring the whole Reaction debate into this.  This issue is bad enough even when you consider only interrupts.

It has to be considered by someone.. might as well toss it out now and get it over with.

Since there is nothing concrete though, this is one of those "DM make a decision, discuss with group, decide the most reasonable and likely way in which this situation plays out, move on" 
?

Post 9 is by Mellored.

There are no rules that tell you what happens if the caster is moved as an interrupt during a close attack.  At all.  Ever.

Post 16 sorry.  (I was replying when i wrote 9 and In reply mode post number are renumbered)

Thats right. There is no rule saying that an Area of Effect move with the caster if the caster is moved so it doesn't. (Unless the power say so)

What need to be agreed upon first, is that the Origin Square and the Area of Effect are determined and laid already when  Swam Swap triggers. When we get this fact out of the way, we just have to look if people taken in or out of an Area of Effect (targeting all creatures) affect them in one way or another by targeting them for those brought in, or not for those taken out.
> Technically, since a Blast Cannot originate from within your square, your
> interrupt invalidated the triggering action, and thus the triggering action in
> question is lost.

There is at least one exception to this (can choose any square within 2 of you as the origin point), in which case the blast could still go ahead as long as the user wasn't shunted too far away. (Granted, the odds of this combination coming up are pretty slim...)

It has to be considered by someone.. might as well toss it out now and get it over with.

Well, that's the problem - you WON'T get it over with.

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Sign In to post comments