Question about conduct at a sanctioned tournament

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
There is a person at my LGS that I find very confrontational during a match when I get paired up against this person, and last night was making comments about my hand while standing behind when I was in a match against another opponent. I said some to this person about the comments last night, but I was wondering if there is a conplaint system in place or ogher than me telling this person off to issue a complaint through the DCI against another player for poor conduct.
This may not be the right place for this thread, sorry if it is not.
Well according to the rules, that guy can get DQ'd from the tournament for talking about your hand. Also, if you ask him to leave and he doesn't, that's also grounds for a DQ. Talk to whoever is running the tournament about it.
Grounds for a lot of rules breaking, including unsportsmanlike conduct and I know there's one for talking about your hand during a match. Could either be assisting you or assisting the other player. Either way, the Tournament Organizer should be doing something about the guy.
Guy just sounds like a [explitive], though, and probably just needs a swift boot to the teeth to solve his problems.

And this MIGHT be better in the Rules Q&A forum, because technically its a rules question.

(at)MrEnglish22

Jman is correct, talk to your TO/Judge asap. That's a big deal and if its persistent behavior its also harassment which can make for a threatening environment, etc (should elevate the punishment).

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

What bothered me about him commenting on my hand, which it was a good hand for sure, was he commented to my opponent that he was in a lot of trouble that game. My opponent had a card he was about to play from his hand and after that comment my opponent was looking at tbe pain in the ass behind me and tben played a different card from his hand instead. Thanks for the info about this. I didn't want to start a whole bunch of crap over a game. But this person is getting on my nerves and those of a couple others in our group that frquents this particular store. Playing this person is not fun because each match feels like an argument.
Take some time to crack the comprehensive rulebook. It has a lot of material in there someone just getting into competitive play should know.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Looks like the Magic Tournament Rules would be more useful here than the Comprehensive Rules, actually.

L1 Judge

Thanks I have a Comprehensive rules for 2012 I got from one of the stores here I town a while back. I also just googled MTG tournament rules and found a 17 page PDF file. Thanks for your help. I just didn't want to make a big issue of this, but I also want to have fun when I am out at these weekly events. Its my only chance to get out and play this game we all love so much. :o)
Did you at least win your match?

I actually hold my hand face-down, cards stacked on top of each other, just to keep stuff like that from happening. I havent had any serious problems like what youve described, but I have had problems with people backseat playing without realizing a match was still going.
I just didn't want to make a big issue of this, but I also want to have fun when I am out at these weekly events.

And that's what the tournament rules are there for.  Sure, it's only FNM, but it's still a sanctioned event. Not only is he making you uncomfortable (which is reason enough to call a judge), his behavior is unfairly influencing the outcome of the tournament as well as evereyone's standings.

Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
Did you at least win your match?

I actually hold my hand face-down, cards stacked on top of each other, just to keep stuff like that from happening. I havent had any serious problems like what youve described, but I have had problems with people backseat playing without realizing a match was still going.

Actually yes I did win the match the last time we were paired up.  He is a good player though, and I had always lost when paired against him untl that point.  Right now  I am playing a Naya Midrange/aggro style deck that I really like, and it is perfectly suited for the current metagame in my area (we have 4 local stores that do sanctioned events different days of the week, and there are a few of us that go to more than one).  I won in three games against him, and he was all pissy about it.  He was playing Talrand Delver, and my Naya deck is perfect at taking down delver decks....  Restoraton angels blinking out thragtusks, blade splicers and Huntmasters, all the while wiping his board with bonfires and dismembering the odd creature that would come out. I also can't forget to metion Thalia.....  He was almost foaming at the mouth. 
I can understand someone not realizing a tournament match was going on still,  but we were in game three and he knew it.  He had a buy that round and was watching the match I was in.  I generally ask before I say anything about the state of the gameboard if they are still in a match or having a fun game.  This was blatant comments in the middle of a match about how good my hand was. 
Thats what he gets for playing a stupid deck like talver. I dont understand how that guy ever caught on.
Honestly, the first thing I would recommend isn't learning to become a "Rules Lawyer" with him as your first reaction. Competitive communities are full of prickly pears, and often just talking to the people irritating you can be enough (they're people afterall, and they deserve some benefit of the doubt.) When this common sense doesn't work however, TO contact and rules lawyering is a very good route to go.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
I did talk to him afterwards, and he apologized. But this nasty behaviour of his during matches is just rediculous at times. And I think the only way he is gonna get it is by having him face the possibility of being disqualified.
Question: Has he ever thrown his deck across the room? I know a guy whose done this. Multiple times. I tend to avoid him nowadays, for obvious reasons.

(at)MrEnglish22

Question: Has he ever thrown his deck across the room? I know a guy whose done this. Multiple times. I tend to avoid him nowadays, for obvious reasons.

o__O You wouldn't happen to be in Florida, would you?

IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)

Negative Ghost Rider. NW GA. Was in FL last year for the 5k though. Have you been in ATL this weekend? Been at the Invi/5k cubing and trading away my Zombies deck

(at)MrEnglish22

Negative Ghost Rider. NW GA. Was in FL last year for the 5k though. Have you been in ATL this weekend? Been at the Invi/5k cubing and trading away my Zombies deck

Na, I'm trying to save :P Good to know somebody else from the SE (I'm from the Western coast of Central Florida)

Yeah, I definitely shouldn't have gone. Bought way more HP cards from SCG than I should have (like a couple Artist signed Daze) though my friend got a mint, Japanese Grim Monolith out of the HP case because of a mix up on their behalf. Always wondered where the regulars on this forum live. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Magic kids are usually anti-social and insecure.  Make him feel better about himself buy bringing in some mouth wash and bars of soap and instructing him on how to use them.  He is probably just taking out years and years of pent-up rage in a slow leak at the local FNM. 
Magic kids are usually anti-social and insecure.  Make him feel better about himself buy bringing in some mouth wash and bars of soap and instructing him on how to use them.  He is probably just taking out years and years of pent-up rage in a slow leak at the local FNM. 

Best post of thread award.

(at)MrEnglish22

I've heard a story that during the Time Spiral block, a person got a warning (or got DQed, don't remember) for pointing out tha Akroma has trample because both players forgot that. A friend of mine also got a warning for just whooping for joy when he saw my hand.
The warning for pointing out trample seems wrong...

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

The warning for pointing out trample seems wrong...

I've heard a judge say that you shouldn't say anything about a gamestate to the players, even if there's clear rules breaches occurring that they don't see. I can only assume he meant that you should point it out to a judge, rather than the players themselves, but that seems rather clunky, since the gamestate might progress in a damaging fashion in the intervening period.
What rulesinquisitor said is true: you should report it to the judge. Forgetting something like that in a tournament will earn you a warning, and multiple warnings can earn you a loss so missing stuff like that can affect the match and not just the game. I think what they'd do is that they'll revert the game state up until the mistake was made or if it didn't affect what happened on the board (like the player still survived with the additional trample damage and he/she wouldn't have changed his/her decisions base on his/her life total otherwise), they'll just continue playing.

You can also request a judge to notify a person watching a match to leave if that said person is distracting. 
What rulesinquisitor said is true: you should report it to the judge. Forgetting something like that in a tournament will earn you a warning, and multiple warnings can earn you a loss so missing stuff like that can affect the match and not just the game. I think what they'd do is that they'll revert the game state up until the mistake was made or if it didn't affect what happened on the board (like the player still survived with the additional trample damage and he/she wouldn't have changed his/her decisions base on his/her life total otherwise), they'll just continue playing.

You can also request a judge to notify a person watching a match to leave if that said person is distracting. 

If players make an error, you are supposed to call a judge and have them resolve it. The players will both get warnings, and you will get a pat on the head.
If its a lower REL tournament, such as an FNM, just point it out. And if someone bitches about it, too bad. 

(at)MrEnglish22

C'mon guys. Everybody by now should know that tournament magic is super srs. 

I've got that beat.  I knew a player who a) flipped a table and b) threw a chair.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."