Counterspells vs "whenever you play"

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is a simple qüestion.

If a player does a spell that says "Whenever you play a -something- spell, do trigger" and the opponent counters the -something- spell, does the trigger take effect?

For example:
I use Glimpse of nature and I start playing creature spells and drawing. And the opponent decides to use for example remove soul (because with another counter would be obvious to counter glimpse instead) to that creature and it is countered, should I draw even if the creature has been countered?

The ability triggers on the spell being cast (played), so Glimpe of Nature's triggers right away and goes to the stack above your creature spell, even before the opponent has a chance to cast the Remove Soul.

Countering the spell won't make the ability to un-trigger. You still get to draw a card with Glimpse's ability.

[<o>]
So the word "play" means even if it is played successful or unsuccessful (countered) in that case
So the word "play" means even if it is played successful or unsuccessful (countered) in that case

Yes.  They've replaced 'play' with 'cast' for this reason (among others).  It makes it clear that the ability triggers when the spell is cast, not when it resolves.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
play means "cast" for non-land cards and "play as a land" for land cards

"cast" simply means putting it on the stack and paying its costs
it doesn't say anything about it resolving or not
proud member of the 2011 community team

The action of playing (casting) a spell is to move the spell from your hand (or other zone if permited, like from graveyard with flashback) to the stack, making relevant choices (optional costs, modes, targets), and paying its cost. Doing so means the spell was cast, was played. Even old cards saying 'is successfully cast' doesn't mean 'isn't countered', but just 'you performed the actions to cast it'.

It resolving (taking effect) or being countered is something that happens later to the already-played spell.

[<o>]
Sign In to post comments