2 Healer of the Pride entering at the same time?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

suppose i have an empty battlefield, and somehow two Healer of the Prides and a Walking Corpse simultaneously enter the battlefield under my control (say with Faith's Reward). do i gain any life?

the gatherer ruling says i do, and so presumably i'd gain 8 life (2 for one healer, 2 for another, and 4 for the walking corpse):
==

7/1/2012If Healer of the Pride enters the battlefield under your control at the same time as other creatures, its ability will trigger once for each of those creatures.

==

but i don't understand *why* it works this way? if i had to guess without the ruling, i would have guessed that the ability of the Healer isn't "on" and checking for other creatures to enter, until after that healer already entered?
yes, each one would trigger for the other and any other creatures would trigger them both
603.6d Normally, objects that exist immediately after an event are checked to see if the event matched any trigger conditions. [..]

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Since they are enter the battlefield simultaneously, each of them will see the other creatures enter the battlefield. Therefore, each healer will trigger 2 times in this case.
==
Since they are enter the battlefield simultaneously, each of them will see the other creatures enter the battlefield. Therefore, each healer will trigger 2 times in this case.
==

yes, i understand that they "see" the other creatures enter the battlefield if it happens simultaneously, but i don't understand why the "whenever another creature enters the battlefield, do X" triggered ability is "on" so soon?

to put it another way, suppose i have the following creature:
===
Self Soul Warden W
Creature -- Cleric
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, gain 1 life.
1/1
===
then i don't understand why he'd trigger off of himself.

this is the part of the rules i want to understand better. 
Triggers are normally checked immediately after and event occurs,  so if multiple cards enter at the same time they will be all on the battlefield at the time you check for abilities triggered by them entering the battlefield.  The big exception to this is leaves the battlefield triggers which are checked immediately before the event occurs.  Therefore if multiple creatures die at the same time they will all see each other die and any appropriate abilities they have will trigger.
MJWhitefield, i believe i understand what you wrote, but it still isn't answering the question i'm looking to get answered. (you may have posted too shortly before i wrote the post immediately before yours to have seen it, where i clarify what i really want answered).

It's a specific rule for enters-the-battlefield triggers.

603.6a. Enters-the-battlefield abilities trigger when a permanent enters the battlefield. These are written, "When [this object] enters the battlefield, . . . " or "Whenever a [type] enters the battlefield, . . ." Each time an event puts one or more permanents onto the battlefield, all permanents on the battlefield (including the newcomers) are checked for any enters-the-battlefield triggers that match the event.

So first the event (a permanent entering the battlefield) happens, then you check to see if any ability triggered from this happening - the 'newcomer' is already a permanent at this point, so it's ability can trigger for the creature itself.

[<o>]
I don't understand why the "whenever another creature enters the battlefield, do X" triggered ability is "on" so soon? 

if it didn't work that way something like Mulldrifter wouldn't work at all, it can't trigger before it's on the field so it has to trigger after
likewise the trigger on Healer of the Pride

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

You can think of the "flow" of the game to work something like I will explain below. I think you're looking for a technical response, so I'm going to get a bit technical.

1) An event occurs.
2) The game checks to see if any trigger conditions are met.
3) Players get priority, etc.

So in the case of Healer of the Pride and friends:

1) Healer of the Pride x2 and Walking Corpse enter the battlefield. Any abilities they might have are now "on."
2) The game checks triggers. Healer of the Pride has an ability that triggers when a permanent enters the battlefield. Three permanents have entered the battlefield since the last time we checked the gamestate. (You can think of this as the last "frame" if you like programming metaphors.) Healer of the Pride specifically excludes itself, so each will trigger only twice.
3) The Healers' abilities go on the stack. Assuming no responses, you gain 8 life (2 life x 2 triggers x 2 healers).
2goth4u: that is an interesting idea, that mulldrifter wouldn't trigger, but it wouldn't be enough alone to convince me that my made up Self Soul Warden would trigger; just becuase i might have thought that Mulldrifter might "make an exception" by being so explicit in what its supposed to do.

will_dice and Bowshewicz: this is /exactly/ what i was looking for. thank you very much! i am now a little more knowledgeable about the rules than before :D i love the feeling of getting closer to gaining "rules experience points"!