Immediate interrupt of an attack question

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Need some assistance or correction. A pc ranger has an immediate interrupt power triggered off of being hit that allows him to shift. Can't remember name of said power. So the ranger shifted from one adjacent square to the enemy to another adjacent square. He then insisted and led the table to agree that because his ranger was no longer in the square he was targeted in, the attack was an auto-miss. My thinking is because he was still in range of the attack (melee 1) and nothing in the power's effect called for an auto-miss/canceling the attack, the attack resumed as normal.

Yes, no?
Need some assistance or correction. A pc ranger has an immediate interrupt power triggered off of being hit that allows him to shift. Can't remember name of said power. So the ranger shifted from one adjacent square to the enemy to another adjacent square. He then insisted and led the table to agree that because his ranger was no longer in the square he was targeted in, the attack was an auto-miss. My thinking is because he was still in range of the attack (melee 1) and nothing in the power's effect called for an auto-miss/canceling the attack, the attack resumed as normal. Yes, no?

If it's a melee or range power, and the enemy still has line of sight and line of effect (both are extremely likely for adjacent squares) and range/reach to get to him (definitely true while adjacent), then he's still a target.

If it's an area or close power, it doesn't matter where the enemy using it is - what matters is where the area-of-effect is (after taking line-of-effect from the origin square into account). If he remains in it, he remains a target; if he leaves it, he stops being a target. 
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
My thinking is because he was still in range of the attack (melee 1) and nothing in the power's effect called for an auto-miss/canceling the attack, the attack resumed as normal. Yes, no?

Yes because he was still within range of the attack, he'd still get hit.
  AFAIK, losing line of sight wouldn't automatically cause the attack to fail, but since the loss of LoS probably means a total concealment penalty (-5), the attack might turn into a miss.
RC p.195: "If an interrupt invalidates a triggering action, the triggering action is lost. Example: An enemy makes a melee attack against Keira the rogue, but Keira uses a power that lets her shift away as an immediate interrupt. If the enemy can no longer reach her, its attack action is lost."

PHB p.268: "If an interrupt invalidates a triggering action, that action is lost. For example, an enemy makes a melee attack against you, but you use a power that lets you shift away as an immediate interrupt. If your enemy can no longer reach you, the enemy’s attack action is lost."
I wonder which Ranger Power it was. I see only one that could (Hit The Dirt) do this and one that couldn't (Evade The Blow), unless it wasn't a Ranger Power.
Sign In to post comments