Beastie Burger questions

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi guys, I've been playing magic since the 4th ed. but lost interest and stopped after Urza's Saga...just got back 3 months ago after a friend re introduced it.

nuff said, here's my first question (and more to come on this thread, soon)Smile

Redirect (UU) - can i still use this even if i have no legal target to opponent? an example: an opponent casts terror and countered it via redirect but that opponent doesnt have any creatures in play, will this work?
Pretty sure you still need a legal target
Well, you can cast Redirect targetting opponent's Terror, but,
if you have no other target to redirect it to, the original target remains unchanged.

On a slightly unrelated note, some people don't like it if you ask a bunch of different unrelated questions in one thread.  Feel free to post all the questions you want, but if they're vastly different then create new threads.

Rules Advisor

Thanks for the input guysSmile
In case it comes up for you, redirect CAN change the target of a Counterspell to the Redirect that's redirecting it (so redirect functions as a "counter target counterspell" if you need it to.)

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

here's another question:

Belltower Sphinx (4U) - i have this in play then my opponent played mutilate and killed my sphinx because of the -6/-6 effect, then my opponent told me to discard (I had 3 cards in hand), and told him that only damage dealt can cause belltower sphinx to discard, but my lawyering opponent kept on insisting.

Do i really have to discard from the effects of mutilate? from what i know, damage dealt is different from -*/-*

enlighten me guys, thanks.
Belltower Sphinx

so much wrong with what he said:

the Sphinx doesn't cause discard, but "mill", which means card from the library to the graveyard, and not from the hand
it only triggers from damage, not from -x/-x effects
and whoever deals the damage has to mill the cards, not the controller of the Sphinx
proud member of the 2011 community team
Beastie, the game as you knew it is quite different now.

This will get you up to speed.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

thanks 2goth4U
Sorry I'm too lazy to backread but might i ask about populate, let's say i have two different token creatures into play and cast a spell card or played an ability with populate, do I copy only one and get to choose which creature token to copy or do I copy both?
you choose which token to copy
you only get 1 additional token, no matter how many token you control
You choose one token to make a copy of.  You don't get a copy of each token you control.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

ok noted, thanks guysSmile
Here's another question: If i have a Guttersnipe in play and cast Mutilate that will give -3/-3 to all creatures (because i have three swamps in play), does the guttersnipe's ability trigger before hitting the graveyard? Thanks for the help in advance.
please autocard

Guttersnipe will trigger for Mutilate
in fact its trigger will resolve before Mutilate
guys, i have a delver of secrets in play paired with a stonewright, the next turn delver flips, does the stonewright's soulbound ability remains on the delver?

yes
the pairing is only broken if either creature leaves the battlefield or changes control
yes
the pairing is only broken if either creature leaves the battlefield or changes control

many thanks
here's another, delver of secrets with an enchant card, then flips turning it into a 3/2 flying creature, does that enchant card remain or it hits the graveyard?
it will remain attached (same with equipment)
it will remain attached (same with equipment)

ok, many thanks.

i have a question regarding cavern of souls
when it says "choose a creature type", does it have to be like example (in bold text); creature - elemental hound or creature - elemental hound will do for it to effect?
either elemental or hound or any of the list of valid creature types
205.3m Creatures and tribals share their lists of subtypes; these subtypes are called creature types. The creature types are Advisor, Ally, Angel, Anteater, Antelope, Ape, Archer, Archon, Artificer, Assassin, Assembly-Worker, Atog, Aurochs, Avatar, Badger, Barbarian, Basilisk, Bat, Bear, Beast, Beeble, Berserker, Bird, Blinkmoth, Boar, Bringer, Brushwagg, Camarid, Camel, Caribou, Carrier, Cat, Centaur, Cephalid, Chimera, Citizen, Cleric, Cockatrice, Construct, Coward, Crab, Crocodile, Cyclops, Dauthi, Demon, Deserter, Devil, Djinn, Dragon, Drake, Dreadnought, Drone, Druid, Dryad, Dwarf, Efreet, Elder, Eldrazi, Elemental, Elephant, Elf, Elk, Eye, Faerie, Ferret, Fish, Flagbearer, Fox, Frog, Fungus, Gargoyle, Germ, Giant, Gnome, Goat, Goblin, Golem, Gorgon, Graveborn, Gremlin, Griffin, Hag, Harpy, Hellion, Hippo, Hippogriff, Homarid, Homunculus, Horror, Horse, Hound, Human, Hydra, Hyena, Illusion, Imp, Incarnation, Insect, Jellyfish, Juggernaut, Kavu, Kirin, Kithkin, Knight, Kobold, Kor, Kraken, Lammasu, Leech, Leviathan, Lhurgoyf, Licid, Lizard, Manticore, Masticore, Mercenary, Merfolk, Metathran, Minion, Minotaur, Monger, Mongoose, Monk, Moonfolk, Mutant, Myr, Mystic, Nautilus, Nephilim, Nightmare, Nightstalker, Ninja, Noggle, Nomad, Octopus, Ogre, Ooze, Orb, Orc, Orgg, Ouphe, Ox, Oyster, Pegasus, Pentavite, Pest, Phelddagrif, Phoenix, Pincher, Pirate, Plant, Praetor, Prism, Rabbit, Rat, Rebel, Reflection, Rhino, Rigger, Rogue, Salamander, Samurai, Sand, Saproling, Satyr, Scarecrow, Scorpion, Scout, Serf, Serpent, Shade, Shaman, Shapeshifter, Sheep, Siren, Skeleton, Slith, Sliver, Slug, Snake, Soldier, Soltari, Spawn, Specter, Spellshaper, Sphinx, Spider, Spike, Spirit, Splinter, Sponge, Squid, Squirrel, Starfish, Surrakar, Survivor, Tetravite, Thalakos, Thopter, Thrull, Treefolk, Triskelavite, Troll, Turtle, Unicorn, Vampire, Vedalken, Viashino, Volver, Wall, Warrior, Weird, Werewolf, Whale, Wizard, Wolf, Wolverine, Wombat, Worm, Wraith, Wurm, Yeti, Zombie, and Zubera.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

i understand, many thanks 2goth4U
302.3. Creature subtypes are always a single word and are listed after a long dash: “Creature — Human Soldier,” “Artifact Creature — Golem,” and so on. Creature subtypes are also called creature types. Creatures may have multiple subtypes. See rule 205.3m for the complete list of creature types.
Example: “Creature — Goblin Wizard” means the card is a creature with the subtypes Goblin and Wizard.

here's the situation: i declared an attack with blistercoil weird, then my opponet took it, i cast dynacharge giving it +2 on its attack, the question is will the +1/+1 effect on the blistercoil weird pumping a total of 4 damage to the opponent, or will it only effect after the dynacharge resolve giving the weird only 3 damage to my opponent?
here's the situation: i declared an attack with blistercoil weird, then my opponet took it, i cast dynacharge giving it +2 on its attack, the question is will the +1/+1 effect on the blistercoil weird pumping a total of 4 damage to the opponent, or will it only effect after the dynacharge resolve giving the weird only 3 damage to my opponent?

The Wierd will get both bonuses, so it will be 4/2 and deal 4 damage.

first its trigger resolves making it a 2/2, then Dynacharge resolves making it a 4/2
assuming you did this in the declare blocker step (I'll just interpret "my opponent took it" as "no blockers") your opponent will take 4 damage
ok got it, thanks guysSmile
Here's another question:

I cast a zealous conscripts and gain control thragtusk, i attacked them both....after resolving i used searing spear on the tusk, since its still under my control, do i get to have the 3/3 beast token?
please make a new thread for new questions, they are more visible that way

yes, the controller of Thragtusk gets the token, it doesn't matter who owns it
On a slightly unrelated note, some people don't like it if you ask a bunch of different unrelated questions in one thread.  Feel free to post all the questions you want, but if they're vastly different then create new threads.

Rules Advisor