Multiplayer group play

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
So i have this idea (no its not original)

I quit magic like 4 years ago but have ALOT of cards, a pauper cube. and 50k commons at least, all my old crap with the acception of high ticket cards i sold.

me and my wife have a 2 friends that might want to play (and hopefully i can find a 5th person?)

Each player represents a color

Each player will sit in the correct order for a game designated to their color, as seen on the back of the card itself

During the game it is a free for all experience, however each player will start with a deck with all commons, (we can pick a format such as extended for card pool)

You will be awarded 2 points for killing your oppenents of opposing colors and 1 point per player of adjacent colors, IE White player will want to take down black and red and worry about helping green and blue until later on in the game, however your attacking on one of your oppenents also allied with your ally against another oppenent.

`The winner of the game will be awarded 3 points.
`To add uncommons cost X points
`To add rares cost X points

Great idea for a group of 5 people to sit down once a week and play?

Thoughts ? ideas?  Expand on it for me?   Do this yourself?    hope to hear from you

unfortunately my friends and wife are EXTREMELY bad at Limited and dont even understand the concept of a draft cube since they hate real drafts.

EDIT: Rawr
So essentially Star Magic?
I like the idea of upgrading your decks over time, though.

The one thing you'll need to be careful of are hoser cards. For instance, the white player could absolutely wreck the black player by packing Light of Day. The black player could wreck the green player with Perish. And so on...
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
So essentially Star Magic?
I like the idea of upgrading your decks over time, though.

The one thing you'll need to be careful of are hoser cards. For instance, the white player could absolutely wreck the black player by packing Light of Day. The black player could wreck the green player with Perish. And so on...

As long as everyone is willing to swap decks in between games I'm sure no one is gonna be too interested in making their deck unfair.
We do swaps all the time for funzies, it generally keeps peeps pretty happy and entertained!

Wait a second. Let me find... Here you go. I can't actually remember how it works, but it's a similar kind of deck-development game. I never played it so I can't vouch for it, but it's probably worth looking over for ideas.
This looks good, I think having everyone build multiple decks (to keep rivalries from building with the same players always gunning for each other) would be a good thing for this. It also help introduce new strategies and helps the new players understand the strengths and weaknesses of each color. 

I think you should start the uncommons with unlocking the use of one common for say 10 points. That would give a few games, assuming that kills are decently even across the players, before uncommons can drop into the game. You could also have the rules set for each deck, so it encourages people to change decks frequently so that they don't get blown out by card quality on a secondary deck. Does this make sense? It does in my head, but that doesn't mean I made it clear enough. 

The unlocking one common would be an available playset, 10 points gets the first, another 10 points gets a second uncommon unlocked for the deck.

As for the Magic RPG that ntw3001 linked to, it works but it has some weird balance issues. An old playgroup in college tried it, but it devolved into trying to make metagame choices to beat each other. But it does set out a really solid rule set.

Face it, you're pretty much here as a meat shield.

If you are at Georgian Court Univeristy or Monmouth Univeristy PM me. If you are out by York College of PA, I can help you reach the group there.

Sign In to post comments