9/13/2012 PR: "The Secret Is Out"

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Perilous Research, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Perilous Realms

It's called Perilous Research, not Realms.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, those who don't and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.
Perilous Realms

It's called Perilous Research, not Realms.

You make an interesting point.
This are getting interesting... I like this Stealer of Secrets. It reminds me a bit of Dimir Cutpurse.   XD
DarkestMage is Michael Jacob. Saying that his sideboard is 'thrown together' because you aren't a skilled enough player to understand it or his deckbuilding process is blatantly disrespectful. If a sideboard seems thrown together to you, you should assume that you're missing something rather than that the player who built and played the deck extensively has no idea what he's doing with his sideboard.
Since you're the "Magic Online metagame guy" it is sad that you didn't know who DarketMage is. The most cursory of googling shows you its MJ. And the sideboard was pretty carefully sculpted...publically...on his stream....over the course of three weeks or so.
This is probably the worst preview card ever (in terms of appropriateness of being a preview of the next set, not its power level)
I'm going to assume that she stole that breastplate, also, because anything that protuberant sure wouldn't be part of a thief's standard gear...

On another note: Wall of Tanglecord in the sideboard makes me grin. Better be packing those Twisted Images, Delver, or nothing's getting through!
If the Azorius want to condemn her so much, why does she look so much like one of them...

A disguise maybe? 
I'm with Thalatta, I like it when things actually look somewhat like what they're meant to be. And massive gaudy boobplate doesn't say 'I'm a private freelance thief in a giant city controlled by mega-corporations.'
I want to be Cultured.
DarkestMage is Michael Jacob. Saying that his sideboard is 'thrown together' because you aren't a skilled enough player to understand it or his deckbuilding process is blatantly disrespectful. If a sideboard seems thrown together to you, you should assume that you're missing something rather than that the player who built and played the deck extensively has no idea what he's doing with his sideboard.

What Jacob says in the article is; "The sideboard seems like it was thrown together, but the numbers all look very solid." so I think he understands it pretty well and is saying that it might seem thrown together but actually it is not.
Hi!

This is Voidstalker the "interesting B/W Tokens" deck. I wanted to first thank you for talking about my deck in your article and you are generally correct at it's functions (Except Bonfire blowing me out, Witchbane Orb does wonders and is largely unexpected). The actaul reason for the deck is that I'm able to do well in Standard 4-RND's because its matchup against zombies is extreamly good and even better after sideboard.
I don't understand how artwork like that gets approved. I really don't.
That's a fact. She looks like an Azouris assassin... or a Dimir assassin disguised as an Azouris.  :P
Worse thief in the world if they are going to break into a place in front of a spotlight, carrying a glowing knife. She's going to be Basilisk Chow.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)

Jacob Van Lunen
The sideboard seems like it was thrown together, but the numbers all look very solid. I should probably know who Thedarkestmage is, but I don't, and I'm really impressed with the deck-building skills that went into these numbers.

Maybe you should learn some reading comprehension before you go mouthing off and insulting others. 
Worse thief in the world if they are going to break into a place in front of a spotlight, carrying a glowing knife. She's going to be Basilisk Chow.

Clearly a flavor choice. This is why she has no evasion abilities (shroud, unblockable, etc). Because she's glowing, out-in-the-open, and proud.

And, umm, the flavor text is a big joke about how the Dimir will hire anyone and the Azorius will condemn anyone, even if they're inconsequential (they don't know her name or where she lives) and incompetent.
Other cards don't have evasion qualities that aren't quite as bad as their job as this card is.

I mean Ali Baba is at least trying to be stealthy. It's harder in the desert.

But compare this card art to Cat Burglar, which the Stealer of Secrets alludes to being. Hips are *back* away from the door, so you can spring back, the only illumination is from the Doorway itself, not from anyplace around it, and, is that a Lockpick I see? It is!

I accept that she might be a patsy though. I can accept that idea. :D
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)