Next Goblin race

I created a racial template for goblin PCs to use in my DnD next game. Do you think it is underpowered/overpowered or that it lacks something important? Also, do you like it?

Goblin
- Stat Bonus: +1 to dexterity
- Speed 30ft: althought they are shortlegged, they are light and nimble, so they move just as fast as humans
- Small: goblins can't use heavy weapons.
- Darkvision 60ft: When not very near a source of light, goblin's eyes reflexively change to adapt to darkness. In this situation, their eyes glow with an extremely faint light of a color that most creatures can't see, plus their irises open up wide to and to percieve this glow. As such, they can see in what would otherwise be total darkness and can often see the eyes of other creatures with darkvision. In this state, bright light (or radiant damage) blinds them for a round. (Btw, this is how darkvision works in my campaing for all creatures who have it. Except thieves)
- Light steps: Goblins are very light and make little sound when they want to be stealthy. As such, they have advange on Dexterity or Stealth checks made to avoid being heard: that is, to avoid being detected by people that couldn't posibly be looking for them with their eyes.
- Scavenger Metabolism: Small size humanoids need less food than medium sized creatures to survive simply because they have less body mass. Even so, goblins require even less food than other small sized humanoids such as halflings and gnomes to survive and stay healthy. As such, goblins require 1/16th the food intake of a human to survive, and 1/8th the water.
I think it's fairly underpowered.

Also why dark vision? I mean I could see goblins with lowlight (maybe, at a stretch), but they tend to be active in daylight hours. 
In D&D the Goblin is sometimes the object of humor. But in French-British folklore, these Goblins have a vicious sense of humor, and play mean, harmful, even deadly, pranks.

Regarding darkvision, Goblins can be nocturnal (go bump in the night). I dont think of them as carrying torches, and infact imagine them with eyes glowing in the dark. Probably darkvision is a good call.
Actually, they have darkvision by default as monsters and in the Caves of Chaos they are (like most other races) nocturnal. They have traditionally had darkvision anyway.

I can see they would be underpowered, and at first I thought about adding
- Dirty Fight: Goblins deal an extra 1d6 damage when they have advantage in the attack against their target.
But it felt weird: OP on the early levels and it had to scale somehow.
I don't know what else to add. 
A subspecies may also benefit from Intelligence. Goblins are fae, have good memories, are knowledgeable about magic, and can do elaborate pranks.
I'd prefer to see Goblinoid as the base race and then have Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Bugbears be subraces.

As for beefing up your write-up a bit, maybe add resistance to and advantage on saves against poison and disease as part of their Scavenger Metabolism. 
I D&D the Goblin is sometimes the object of humor.

That's because of your inherent RACISM against the proud dar! The golin'dar, the Quick People, have a long, and honorable, history! You brutish humans spit on that heritage daily!

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
I D&D the Goblin is sometimes the object of humor.

That's because of your inherent RACISM against the proud dar! The golin'dar, the Quick People, have a long, and honorable, history! You brutish humans spit on that heritage daily!

+1

This template is unworthy.   Sealed

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

What if goblins can occupy the space of another creature?

Sounds logical. I wonder, tought, with the playtest as it is, what would that imply? 

Oh, so now you're accusing the dar of imperialism? WHEN IT IS HUMANS WHO PUSHED-er, you're talking about game terms.

I, too, wonder what that would actually do for them. Its a feature that just seems..."umm...ok...." to me.

Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid

Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.

"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,

"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." -Kipling

Miss d20 Modern? Take a look at Dias Ex Machina Game's UltraModern 4e!

57019168 wrote:
I am a hero, not a chump.
I'd prefer to see Goblinoid as the base race and then have Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Bugbears be subraces.

As for beefing up your write-up a bit, maybe add resistance to and advantage on saves against poison and disease as part of their Scavenger Metabolism. 

Sounds about right. I did totally picture them stewing semirotten carcasses anyway.

The template so far would be:
 Goblin
- Stat Bonus: +1 to dexterity
- Speed 30ft: althought they are shortlegged, they are light and nimble, so they move just as fast as humans
- Small: goblins can't use heavy weapons. They can also occupy the space of an enemy creature larger than them.
- Darkvision 60ft: When not very near a source of light, goblin's eyes reflexively change to adapt to darkness. In this situation, their eyes glow with an extremely faint light of a color that most creatures can't see, plus their irises open up wide to and to percieve this glow. As such, they can see in what would otherwise be total darkness and can often see the eyes of other creatures with darkvision. In this state, bright light (or radiant damage) blinds them for a round. (Btw, this is how darkvision works in my campaing for all creatures who have it. Except thieves)
- Light steps: Goblins are very light and make little sound when they want to be stealthy. As such, they have advange on Dexterity or Stealth checks made to avoid being heard: that is, to avoid being detected by people that couldn't posibly be looking for them with their eyes.
- Scavenger Metabolism: Small size humanoids need less food than medium sized creatures to survive simply because they have less body mass. Even so, goblins require even less food than other small sized humanoids such as halflings and gnomes to survive and stay healthy. As such, goblins require 1/16th the food intake of a human to survive, and 1/8th the water. Additionally, they gain resistance to poison damage and advantage in saves against poison and disease.

I somehow don't feel the power level of the race has changed enough. I think I'm missing something half as good as the halfling's Lucky. 
D&D goblins are the scum, the dregs of fantasy world, but if there is some reason if they are surveved all trys of genocide. They can´t no be only cannon fodder. They aren´t so clever like kobolds but their immune system (like all scavenger species= may be the best for a humanoid creature.  They can dare to explore and colonize a land what a suffered a epidemic or a zombie apocalypse. "Eat or be eaten"... for some goblins some undeads can be the next food (and they aren´t really infected, only carriers).

A optional background (for no-canon settins) could be like a untouchability caste (like dalist from real world India or Japanese burakimin).  Other option is a mutant version of infected (28 days later, crossed comics, necromorphes from Dead space, house of dead, resident evil, the corrupted from inFamous game, special infected from Left for Dead, necromutants from mutants chronicles), like the fay equivalent to zombie apocalypse). 

I suggest special bonus to Con save about sickness. 

* Point two. Don´t forget the steampunk subrace, like a evil version or parody of tinker gnomes from Dragonlance.  I like the idea of goblins pilots riding steampunk mechas with contruct bodyguards.

Other subrace is the blue, with psionic powers, a idea with a great potential to create new stories. For example about mutants or like ancestors before genetic degeneration.

And I like the vampire-like goblyns from Ravenloft. (do you rebember the "dwergis" from "Van Helsing" movie?). 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Well the under foot ability (occupy same space as a nother creature) would make it really awkward to use area affects against them since you'll hit your buddies if you try, it could be good for positioning as well, on top of that there's just tons of potential for fun moments.

Another idea would be to steal the kobold power from 4e. 

Quick review of British folklore:
Renaissance Era
• Human thieves are referred to as “goblins”, so presumably goblins are thieving.

Romantic Era 
• Goblins live in underground mines. Grotesque and hideous, dont have toes, and think toes are disgusting. Nocturnal and shun sunlight. Are repelled by singing. Abduct human children to become goblins. Tho deformed morally and physically, they are vain, and consider themselves more refined than humans. Have a subterranean kingdom ruled by a king.
• Goblins dont have magic power over those on the other side of water. Are repelled by poetry.
• Goblins are merchants selling vast quantities of fruit, at nightfall. Humans eat this fruit and go into an addictive ecstatic trance, after which, the humans become unable to hear or see the Goblins. Unable to eat more fruit, they go into withdrawal, their health declines, and they die within months. But later, just a little bit of juice from this fruit if they can get access to it can save the victim, but the smell and taste become repulsive and it is violently difficult to ingest it, and is followed by siezures, swings, and contortions. 

Do you see a return to food and drink requirements for exploration? I would like to think they would return to the full array of rules for all occasions found in 2E. But I imagine goblins being like goats, they eat almost anything they can wrap their teeth around. An assortment of exotic flora in their guts lets them digest even rock. But not cellulose. They aren't grass eaters. Well, they'll probably eat it but won't be nourished.
Talk of Goblins but not Kobolds. You should all be ashamed.
Classic mythologyc and folklore and D&D fantasy are two different things.

My suggestion is a Con bonus to sickness (better if is no magic ones).

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

In this case, the D&D Goblin can match up well with the folklore, especially when a player race.

• Typically: Very high Dexterity, high Intelligence, low Strength, low Charisma, very low Wisdom.

• Goblins are stealthy and surprisingly spry. They are knowledgeable and clever, but tend to be oblivious to the obvious that is going on in front of them. They are capricious, cowardly, and difficult to take seriously. They are small and their Strength suffers proportionally.

• The Goblins are fey, so a connection to magic is a given. They are knowledgeable about magic, and often use rituals.

• They have a vicious sense of humor, typically playing pranks that are mean, harmful, and fatal.

• They (most of them) hate Humans, and seek to destroy Humans in amusing ways.

• In physical appearance, they are small and grotesque. They lack toes, and find the sight of toes offensive and sickening.

• The Goblins see themselves as much more refined than Humans, which is humorous. 

• Nocturnal with darkvision and sensitivity to sunlight, like Kobolds and Drow.

• Goblins live in caves and mines, with a Goblin King, plus intrigues of the royal court.

• Goblins abduct children. This can be a good plot hook, especially for low-level adventures. The adventurers need to rescue the children before they suffer the ritual that traps them into goblinhood. This is how Goblins increase their numbers, especially as spouses, slaves, and armies.

• But the most interesting Goblin trait is ...

Singing and poetry (specifically rhymes?) repels Goblins, till out of earshot. This is a quirky and fun trait that can make encounters with Goblin vivid and memorable. A great way to lighten the mood while in the context of evil monsters. It is necessary to come up with a balanced mechanic to represent this, but antipathy to singing and rhyming makes the Goblin unique.
Can we stop with the sunlight vulnerability? I mean it's not like it ever actually inconvieniences anyone who wants to play the race beacause they always print some cheep ass under 2k item to nix it, assuming a hooded cloak doesn't fix everything already.
Can we stop with the sunlight vulnerability? I mean it's not like it ever actually inconvieniences anyone who wants to play the race beacause they always print some cheep ass under 2k item to nix it, assuming a hooded cloak doesn't fix everything already.

Not only that, but how many DMs actually enforce the whole "Every civilized race shuns you" thing?

I basically agree. But the trope of being afraid of sunlight is important. (Think of the movie Legend.) For Drow too, it is the reason they arent already on the surface in massive numbers. Not to mention Vampires.

Is there a better way to handle this concept?
"X finds exposure to sunlight irritating and uncomfortable.  It is the reason they arent already on the surface in massive numbers."
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
"X finds exposure to sunlight irritating and uncomfortable.  It is the reason they arent already on the surface in massive numbers."

Ok, but does that really explain Vampires?

They are on the surface in massive numbers though, they're usually called merchants in DnD though, or advisors, scribes, or guildmasters.
Sunlight fear isn´t necesary. Only photophobia:  "intense light = disavantage"

Same problem there will be some cheap ass item to negate it no more than 8 books in and light levels are like carryign capacity, one fo the first rules to get swept under the rug.
- Scavenger Metabolism: Small size humanoids need less food than medium sized creatures to survive simply because they have less body mass. Even so, goblins require even less food than other small sized humanoids such as halflings and gnomes to survive and stay healthy. As such, goblins require 1/16th the food intake of a human to survive, and 1/8th the water. Additionally, they gain resistance to poison damage and advantage in saves against poison and disease.

It could be useful for some PCs but totally useful for nPCs, but I like the idea of resistance to poison damage. 

It could be useful for some PCs but totally useful for nPCs, but I like the idea of resistance to poison damage. 

Why do goblins only have resistance to poison. I think it's rediculous that dwarves are immune to poison and elves immune to charm.
Because the playtest homebrewers are a lot less fumblefingered than the devs right now.